Gibson Brands Forums

Would You Buy This...

PK55

I was in a Pawn shop today and found a Bonamassa goldtop... The guy said that it had been dropped and the headstock was ripped off in the fall... After I cried for a moment I pulled myself together and looked at it. The break is about midway the first fret on the back of the neck at a 45 angle that runs above the nut on the front. They took it to a repair guy who reinforced it with rods on both sides. Yeah you can see some of the seams on the sides from the repair but that doesn't bother me. Just wasn't sure about how long that headstock would deal with string tension over time. Asking $380 but would go down to $340.

If you were in the market for a Les Paul as a backup guitar would you buy it?

Thanks fellas ;-)

I was in a Pawn shop today and found a Bonamassa goldtop... The guy said that it had been dropped and the headstock was ripped off in the fall... After I cried for a moment I pulled myself together and looked at it. The break is about midway the first fret on the back of the neck at a 45 angle that runs above the nut on the front. They took it to a repair guy who reinforced it with rods on both sides. Yeah you can see some of the seams on the sides from the repair but that doesn't bother me. Just wasn't sure about how long that headstock would deal with string tension over time. Asking $380 but would go down to $340.

If you were in the market for a Les Paul as a backup guitar would you buy it?

Thanks fellas ;-)

If it's a properly done repair its probably stronger than the original wood. If it's not done right, it won't last very long. Either way I'd play it and see how it sounds. If that's good, then I'd go for it if the repair looks okay. If it doesn't sound good the repair is probably bad.

If it's a properly done repair its probably stronger than the original wood. If it's not done right, it won't last very long. Either way I'd play it and see how it sounds. If that's good, then I'd go for it if the repair looks okay. If it doesn't sound good the repair is probably bad.

+1. If it's a pro repair and plays/sounds good, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I have a 2005 Epi Dot that has had a repair done similar to the one you speak of.

Of the guitars that I own, it's one of my favorite guitars to play.

I've had it since 2006 and never had any problems.

How does it play? Spend some time playing it. If it sounds and feels good, I would get it.

You may be able to score a great deal. :)

$340's too high for a guitar that's had a major neck repair. They have little resale value, and you wouldn't be able to sell it for that yourself. Get another gold top if that's what you want, you can find good deals on used ones in very nice condition.

to answer the question, nope. would not by it.

having said that, sounds like they don't have it priced right yet.

headstock repairs will always drop about 50% off the current asking price.. so, get the average price for a used JB Epi, and knock at least half off... then you're probably in the ball park

Thank you for all the wisdom in your replies...I am the kind of person that is not bothered by cosmetic issues but it's just the future stability of the guitar I was concerned about. I can agree after thinking about it, a reinforced neck could actually be stronger than the original but at the price did seem high to me considering the kind of repair done to it. In the future if there was ever anything off on the action or intonation my mind would immediately blame that broken/repaired head stock no matter what... Thanks again...

Archived