Gibson Brands Forums

NPD! Xotic BB Preamp!

Ryan H

Been awhile since I made a thread here...

Just picked up this beauty today...

1T9uHnK.jpg

I've been looking for a nice overdrive, but the typical mid-focused Tubescreamer sound has become boring to me, and isn't useful for my purposes. I wanted something more full-range, and I found it in the BB Preamp. It is a "Marshall in a box" in every sense. Mids with tons of balls, solid low end (running it at 12 volts, which helps slightly with this), and nice bite in the highs without being ice-picky. With the right attack you can even get a little bit of a "cocked wah" kind of response. The Treble and Bass controls are very useful throughout their entire range, and have a nice center detent so you can always find "flat". Dialing the gain up gives just enough compression to keep the ice picks at bay and keep the low notes tight. And this thing can get LOUD; 30dB of clean boost from the level control.

In short, it won't get you into JCM800 territory, but if you're looking for that oldschool Clapton (Bluesbreaker) tone, or even some moderate Plexi tones, I haven't found a pedal that does it better. I got it for $168 tax-in, but even at full price (about $180 after taxes) it's still a great pedal for the money.

-Ryan

Been awhile since I made a thread here...

Just picked up this beauty today...

I've been looking for a nice overdrive, but the typical mid-focused Tubescreamer sound has become boring to me, and isn't useful for my purposes. I wanted something more full-range, and I found it in the BB Preamp. It is a "Marshall in a box" in every sense. Mids with tons of balls, solid low end (running it at 12 volts, which helps slightly with this), and nice bite in the highs without being ice-picky. With the right attack you can even get a little bit of a "cocked wah" kind of response. The Treble and Bass controls are very useful throughout their entire range, and have a nice center detent so you can always find "flat". Dialing the gain up gives just enough compression to keep the ice picks at bay and keep the low notes tight. And this thing can get LOUD; 30dB of clean boost from the level control.

In short, it won't get you into JCM800 territory, but if you're looking for that oldschool Clapton (Bluesbreaker) tone, or even some moderate Plexi tones, I haven't found a pedal that does it better. I got it for $168 tax-in, but even at full price (about $180 after taxes) it's still a great pedal for the money.

-Ryan

In short? you just wrote an essay on the thing, ya' NERD!!!! [flapper]

I didn't unuderstand a word you said, so I'm gonna go watch a youtube demo.

Grats on finding gear you're happy with. [smile]

Archived