Gibson Brands Forums

All Hail The I.B. 64 Texan!

brixa

U.K based and won a 2009 I.B. Texan locally from ebay last weekend for £160. What an example of an item that seems worth more than it's cost. I have a martin d28 and a gibby j45 and this texan is way up there. Antique natural with tusq pins - it's matured amazingly. The guy set it up hisself - i put a new set of 12 gauge d'addario's on and turned the truss to straighten the neck and bingo - heaven. The electrics are all even on every string and thru my vox amp it's heaven. Hard to come by in the UK - this is seriously good quality!

I got mine in 2010 to, best acoustic I've ever owned, I've played some nice pre 1980's Martin D45's that put it to shame but I've not heard to much more that can beat it sound wise. I also like the neck type of this guitar, always have! I put some Planet Wave's wooden pins on mine but thats about it. It needs re-fretting from the top 5 or 6 frets, I am the only owner and it has been played a lot in the past 3 years so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. Enjoy it man!

• 1 month later...

The Texan is a wonderful guitar and loved by many! While I don't own a Texan, I do have several Epiphone acoustics. All of them are spectacular for the price and play and sound wonderful. Epiphone has taught me a wonderful thing I never knew before. ...You don't have to spend $2000 to $3000 for a wonderful sounding guitar. All you need, is a good Epiphone!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I should add a couple of things:

-- A couple of weeks ago, I had a gig down in my hometown in Illinois. It was two-hour show, outside. Temp at the start was 93 F, with humidity close to double that. Played the IB'64 Texan, through a Crate acoustic amp. Aside from sounding great, it weathered the heat and humidity quite well. I was pleasantly surprised.

-- Before going down to Illinois, I recorded the final two songs on the new album I'm working on. I used two handmade mahogany dreads and a 1930s wood-bodied National for everything else on the record, but I brought the Texan in for the last two songs. We recorded everybody with a single stereo ribbon mic. (The record has a really nice "in the room" sound.) Afterwards, the engineer/producer said he wished I would've used the Texan on some of the other songs because it actually recorded better in this context than the other guitars. Later, the mastering engineer said the same thing.

I'm blessed to have the two mahogany dreads -- they are killer guitars and sound fantastic -- but I'm finding I'm using the Texan more than I thought I would....

Hi David,

Just listened to the music samples on your website, and very impressed with your song-writing/singing and overall production sound.

Especially liked Westfield Blues.

As for Epi acoustics, I've been a devoted fan for 50 years; play a smaller version of the Texan (early '60s Cortez FT-45) through an AER acoustic amp, and in the studio accompanying singers.

Everyone loves the mellow woody resonant tone. (I also play Bach cello suites on it.) Plus with feather-touch light action it's incredibly easy to play!

Maybe it's a personal preference, but I wouldn't trade my Epi for any high-price Taylor or Martin.

Like someone said, Epis, at least in the early days, gave very high value for very low price. And they aged really well.

Congrats again on your new CD.

Roger

I agree with DrRogerFisher...I would not trade any one of my 5 Epiphones......(3 Masterbilts..and two Epi laminates)...for ANY Martin or Taylor even it they were $3000 guitars. In fact...Once I discovered Epiphone delivered better sound..I sold ALL my 5 Martins, and 5 Taylors as well. My Epiphones were were better in tone than those 10 over prices guitars, and looked just as good or better for 1/10th the price. Never regretted it.

Thanks for the kind words, Roger. The new record sounds really good, and I am generally the last one to say that about stuff I do. I did talk some really good folks into playing on the record, though.

Unfortunately, the guy I have designing the cover (which is all we're waiting on at this point before sending it off for production) is in the middle of a three-week vacation. But I'm hoping it'll be out this fall.

Archived