Gibson Brands Forums

dylan freaks ? advice

blindboygrunt

I always found that Isle of Wight show a bit uninspiring.

There are, of course, a bunch of boots out there but I have never heard any that I thought were top notch quality.

There is a soundboard recording available. If I recall correctly it is part of the Rockin' Concerts series from the UK. Think it cost about $15 for download and $20 for CD.

If you don't have it go dig up the "Outfidels" boot. One of the best Dylan boots of all time although by this date much of the material on the discs is already available on the Bootleg Series.

I always found that Isle of Wight show a bit uninspiring.

There are, of course, a bunch of boots out there but I have never heard any that I thought were top notch quality.

There is a soundboard recording available. If I recall correctly it is part of the Rockin' Concerts series from the UK. Think it cost about $15 for download and $20 for CD.

If you don't have it go dig up the "Outfidels" boot. One of the best Dylan boots of all time although by this date much of the material on the discs is already available on the Bootleg Series.

Yeah. Outfidels is one I have investigated. The production at that time ruined more than a few albums. Isn't it strange that an artist can manage to put an album out and leave such great songs on the floor.

Thanks for the advise chaps

Isn't it strange that an artist can manage to put an album out and leave such great songs on the floor.
Apparently Msr Springsteen has made a career of it. Clinton Heylin has detailed the extent to which BTR, Darkness, River and Nebraska/USA were rewrites and not necessarily the better for it. Better to just go in and cut it, like they did, back in the day.

It's almost impossible for a live performance to replicate what is on an album, even if you try. The great thing about live performance is that there is no "take two". Sometimes, this brings out the absolute best in the artist.

Other times, not so.

Often, you use live performance to experiment, looking for a better way to present the material. Other times, you just let it all hang out, for better or worse.

I don't think I've ever done a song the same way twice, even when I intend to.

I'm a Dylan fan from his early days-bootleg albums were dire-to be avoided-waste of money, crap, better-off sticking to his Studio stuff.

Most of my favourite bootleg material is from the studio. Early stuff? then the first CD in the released bootleg series is fantastic . as is the live new York one. The freewheeling bootleg contains lots of amazing stuff.

I never paid for any of my bootlegs .. So a waste of money they can't be. And I don't understand how you could be a fan and make your statement ?

:-/

bootleg albums were dire-to be avoided-waste of money, crap, better-off sticking to his Studio stuff.
Hmm. I had a pal back in my Illinois days who was Dylan fanatic, boots and all, who was kind enough to share from his collection, pre-Biograph. Rich stuff, gems from the 60s through Basement-era. Inexplicable why a gem like I'll Keep it With Mine didnt make the cut. The bootleg series has done a good job of bringing some of this stuff to light, not to mention the live sets (my only beef was with Live 75 -- select tracks from arena dates, not full shows, and too 60s-centric. May have pulled that while BD was out of the room).

1377382380[/url]' post='1416104']

Most of my favourite bootleg material is from the studio. Early stuff? then the first CD in the released bootleg series is fantastic . as is the live new York one. The freewheeling bootleg contains lots of amazing stuff.

I never paid for any of my bootlegs .. So a waste of money they can't be. And I don't understand how you could be a fan and make your statement ?

:-/

Depends on the quality of the recording you get-I did pay for bootlegs, funny thing about buying recorded music years ago,you had to use a thing called money,never knew anyone get them for free, the statement I made in my earlier post,bears any relevance to my being a Dylan fan, it related to recording quality -notwithstanding any criticism of Mr Zimmerman himself,who, I've always regarded as possibly the most influential Songwriters of the 20th Century.

Archived