Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson neck joints......

onewilyfool

Is it my understanding that ALL Gibson acoustics have the neck joint attached with hide glue? I think that some other models also use hide glue for attaching braces, top and back, etc....it that correct? Which models use hide glue for all attachments? Thanks, any input appreciated!!!

Which models use hide glue for all attachments?

None. Even those few that are supposed to be "all hide glue" (such as the Legends) have bridges glued on with Titebond. I'm not sure what the motivation is -- maybe that it fails more cleanly when it fails? (see Frank Ford's tests on frets.com) -- but that's how they do it.

-- Bob R

I just bought what you might call a special Southern Jumbo True Vintage. It is a specially made SJTV that is the same as other SJTVs except it has hide glue for the bracing as well. Maybe I am wrong? Maybe all TV instruments have hide glue fir the other attachments as well? I am just saying what the dealer told me.

Now, I didn't buy it because of that; I just liked the way it sounded.

All I know is that the current J45TV lists the braces as being attached with hide glue.

There's a big difference between hide glued bracing and all joints hide glued. The production line was set up to do hide glued bracing on those models for which that's the spec a few years ago. But there's no provision for using hide glue for anything other than attaching braces and joining the neck. All other joints -- fretboard to neck, kerfing to rims, top and back to sides and kerfing, etc. -- are Tightbond. Since all construction is now being done on the production line, that means no "all hide glue" models are being built at the moment.

-- Bob R

Gibson says they use "hide glue" on my LG-2ae at the 14th fret dove tail joint........................

All Bozeman-built Gibson acoustics have hide glued neck joints. Ren believed that it made the joint more sonically transparent. The short open time is not an issue for this application, so it's easy to use, even in a factory setting.

-- Bob R

P.S. (added later) Hey, I looked back at the thread and realized I answered the first question Wily asked, which I'd entirely forgotten about by the time I wrote this. You get lucky, sometimes!

Since I was curious about it, I just visited the German Franklin Titebond website and found out that they offer liquid hide glue ready for instant use. Never knew before that such a product exists.

Most folks I know who have tried it are less than enthusiastic.

-- Bob R

I just visited the German Franklin Titebond website and found out that they offer liquid hide glue ready for instant use.

This is what I keep in my shop, and contrary to the third party propaganda in the previous post, I've found it to be a great product.

Archived