Gibson Brands Forums

1968 Hummingbird

E-minor7

Strikes me that this burst is a bit like some of the recent ones comin' out of Bozeman. And am a bit surprised this one has the narrow nut.

Not so common for that year.

"Everything you could ever want in an old maple dreadnought", ends the text.

Eeeehhhh , , , , seldom have so many beautiful photos shown so much and beautiful mahogany.

Happy bidding -

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec9f68fe3

In brilliant shape, looks a lot like my TV, or should I say the other way round ... but that nut width, Ive played a couple 9/16 necks and its basically unplayable unless you just play C,G,D progressions all day. A complete waste of time of what otherwise could be a superb guitar.

btw; was 68' the last year before the bracing got thicker Em7 ?

Really beautiful, I like that burst more than the super cherry ones you see from that period.

I have a j45 with the same neck, its taken forever to get my fingers to adjust to it and its definitely tricky. I thought of just getting a new one, but all the Bozeman ones I tried, while bei easier to play, didn't sound nearly as good, with the exception of a j45tv that was out of my price range.

I think 68 was the transition year in terms of double bracing- some late models started getting them, others, like my j45, are slope shouldered and single braced

I think 68 was the transition year in terms of double bracing- some late models started getting them, others, like my j45, are slope shouldered and single braced

The bracing did get heavier in 1968 and even bulker the following year. The infamous Double X bracing, however, does not show up until 1971.

All in all I would pass. You would do better buying a pre-65 guitar or a Bozeman-made HB.

What's the saddle made of? Almost looks like wood. Is it bone that has darkened??

This is a fortified single X-braced guitar. First year of the stronger structure. I'd really like to compare it to the '69 even heavier bracer Zomb often talks about.

EA has one of those, don't if he/you made the A/B.

I have the SJ version and can't tell if it's a 68 or 69 from the serial # - the p-guard screws say 1968.

What you see is a rosewood saddle insert, Joe. The mellow version of the 2 at the time. The other being the legendary ceramic.

The difference between the 2 is huuuuge, , , and sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who ever cared hehe. . .

em7,

what do you mean by fortified x-braced? Ive often wondered whats inside my j45adj, and since its from about the same time as this (my serial is 951xxx where this hbird is 952xxx)im really interested in more info. I also have the rosewood belly up bridge, and while i love the sound, haven't played enough old gibsons with bone saddles to decipher whether or not i should upgrade. what's your experience with em?

@cunningham26 - Both the top and back braces got heavier from 1968.

The early ones had top-braces thin as rulers up till that year, which provided that classic Gibson sound (find pictures on the web).

The one in the ad is fortified by thicker wood - as simple as that.

Just checked mine and have the feeling it's a late '68 or border-69'er.

Back braces are a tooth stronger than on the one of this thread. Has the low belly bridge as well.

Yours probably is the fat cousin too (is the back braces same size ?) Go and compare with photos found here and there and share, , , , please -

But why upgrade if you are satisfied. Better to start with a few other materials - just for the fun of the experiment.

Archived