Gibson Brands Forums

Restrung my '57 LG-1 today.....

onewilyfool

I think a few of youse guys have one of these LG-1's lying around???!!! This is a VERY good guitar. I play a lot of blues, and this guitar has this wonderful shimmer up the neckthat makes this little guitar a little blues machine. I think one of the players on the forum uses his for side and I can see why he does that. There is a certain "raw" sound that comes out of a ladder braced guitar that can't be matched by it's LG-3 cousin. This guitar is LOUD too. I put 11's on it today instead of the old D'Addario 12's that have been on it since I got it....lol...and what a difference in tone! Volume, not much loss, and because it is so loud anyway, no biggie. This thing is light as a feather....if you catch one on Craig's list, at LEAST go over and try it. They are really cool guitars, easy to play, and a unique sound in your acoustic quiver!!!

I think a few of youse guys have one of these LG-1's lying around???!!! This is a VERY good guitar. I play a lot of blues, and this guitar has this wonderful shimmer up the neckthat makes this little guitar a little blues machine. I think one of the players on the forum uses his for side and I can see why he does that. There is a certain "raw" sound that comes out of a ladder braced guitar that can't be matched by it's LG-3 cousin. This guitar is LOUD too. I put 11's on it today instead of the old D'Addario 12's that have been on it since I got it....lol...and what a difference in tone! Volume, not much loss, and because it is so loud anyway, no biggie. This thing is light as a feather....if you catch one on Craig's list, at LEAST go over and try it. They are really cool guitars, easy to play, and a unique sound in your acoustic quiver!!!

I just bought a '51 a few weeks ago. I haven't got it back from my luthier yet but I'm looking forward to it.

I have had LG-2s on the brain lately. I am thinking of swapping my '46 for a '47 I ran across. The '47 is not in as near a nice condition as mine and has a replaced bridge but I have played more LG-2s from Banners on up than I can recall and I swear this '47 is the best sounding one I have ever gotten my hands on. And I am apparently not alone in this opinion so if I do it will have to move fast.

Level the fretboard, refret and reglue bridge

Got mine back today. The luthier did a great job.

This guitar is awesome. I love the sound, volume and rumble.

Easy to play, very comfortable. This one may make a few of the others leave.

I totally agree they are wonderful guitars and like you say they produce tones that the X braced LG2/3's can't.

Alot of people who either have only placed a 'dead' one or have never played them think they are under par.

It's good for us LG1 lovers as it means there are more for us to snuffle up :)

I had a new bridge made for my '53 LG1 out of brazillian rosewood and new tuner buttons last year and she is so open and 'authentic' sounding.

I keep her in open G and play a mixture of fingerpicking and slide.

I would never part with her.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow up on this post...usually I rotate my guitars every two seeks or so, allows me to wake them up, play them, clean them up, change the strings, etc....BUT, I've been keeping this LG-1 with me non-stop for quite a while now. There is just something about this guitar!!! The Elixirs have worn in and mellowed out not and we are back to that dry,plunky sound that is typical of ladder braced guitars. Really nice old-timey sound. I love the shimmer when I move up the neck with the D-7 chord formation, when I play the blues, and this guitar must be one of the LOUDEST guitars I have! I don't know if you LG-1 owners notice this, but there is unbelievably long sustain on my guitar, I mean really....of course, like any guitar, it takes time to learn how to play it, in the manner to which it needs to become accustomed, but that is the fun and challenge of getting to know a new guitar....these are worth a little hunt. I've seen at least 5 on local craigslist in the last year or so, mostly those 60's versions with the adjustable saddle and plastic bridge, which I think most of you guys generally replace.....in any case, worth a try if you get to see one!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is our 59 rescue LG-1.

Best,

-Tom

I'm new to the Gibson forum, been on the Unofficial Martin forum for a few years. I have never owned a Gibson, but I recently came across a '62 LG0 in a small shop the got my interest. It still had the plastic bridge. Other than the plastic bridge is there much difference in the sound of a late '50s or early '60's? I love the '59 in this video posted earlier in the thread...'59 being my birth year.

Archived