Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 inside label?

davwir

davwir, I'm not certain about the ES-175s, but I have a CS-336 (CS = Custom Shop) and it did not come with a label in it. I called up Gibson Customer Service

to ask them about it and had it confirmed. (several of the guys on the forum who own CS-336s said the same thing) I gave the representative my serial number

and he told me the date of manufacture, what music store it was shipped to and on what date it was sent. It all matched up and they confirmed it for me. Maybe

that's all you need to do to get some satisfaction to you question. Paul (PP_CS336).

I have a new 2013 gibson ES175 with an oval red label visible through the top f- hole.

Yes generally all ES models should or would have had a label inside when they left the factory. And Gibson acoustics too. At least that was the way it used to be. I know little or nothing about CS models except that some CS-made solid bodies don't always have even a COA so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't all have labels.

I have a new 2013 gibson ES175 with an oval red label visible through the top f- hole.

Yes generally all ES models should or would have had a label inside when they left the factory. And Gibson acoustics too. At least that was the way it used to be. I know little or nothing about CS models except that some CS-made solid bodies don't always have even a COA so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't all have labels.

jdgm...I got a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) with my 2008 CS-336. No label though (see my previous post).

Should all Gibson ES-175s have a "label" inside the f-hole?

Mine does not seem to have one, although it does have a serial number on the back of the headstock (91043531)

My 1960 ES 175 has a label inside the f hole although I gather from the serial, yours is 1993 (I think I've got that right) so I wouldn't like to speculate whether things were changed over the years.

I definitely think your ES175 should have a label inside, visible through the upper f-hole. I've never seen a 175 without one. The 80s ones after Henry took over had an old-style Gibson logo on the label. I don't see why they might have stopped labelling then started again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1988 Ser # and made in USA impressed in headstock. Mahogany back and sides. no label or trace of glue where it would be. Gold Grovers. No extra holes. Original brown case, pink lining. Pat number on pickups. Bought from original owner.

As long as you got a serial number on the headstock I wouldn't worry about it. Those of us that have been buying, playing, trading Gibsons for a long time have come to realize that consistency is not their forte. Somebody probably forgot to order the labels from the paper place and they ran out for a week or two so shipped a bunch without labels or some such. But in spite of these quirky things that happen, they make a great guitar and how it sounds, feels and plays is the most important. Enjoy it.

As long as you got a serial number on the headstock I wouldn't worry about it. Those of us that have been buying, playing, trading Gibsons for a long time have come to realize that consistency is not their forte. Somebody probably forgot to order the labels from the paper place and they ran out for a week or two so shipped a bunch without labels or some such. But in spite of these quirky things that happen, they make a great guitar and how it sounds, feels and plays is the most important. Enjoy it.

My feelings as well. Bought my first Les Paul Custom in 86. Got all excited because It had a blue wall anchor for the bottom strap pin. Called factory and a supervisor said they did this because guys were stripping out the screw threads. Still have it. Would never part with it . I think people forget Gibson is a factory and is subject to spec changes, parts supplier changes and they are in business to make a profit. My 88 es 175 was built on Jan 22 and I would expect that the parts on her would be 87's at latest. As 88 and 89 rolled on Bill Lawrence pick ups start getting phased in. They are going to use up back stock first. Maybe a guitar gets a mix of pickups. As far as the label, maybe they were set to change after 1st of year and they were delayed in arrival from printer. I have literally dozens of Gibsons and they all have the magic that only a hand finished (yes it is ok to use power tools) imparts when using great wood to begin with. Little "defects" that people deride them for are inherent in anything hand made. CNC is not perfect either. Part of the character of the instrument. It is fun to try to second guess what the guys on the line were doing but in the end, they just built great guitars.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived