Gibson Brands Forums

Sound City Doc.

J.R.M.30!

Recently, I viewed a documentary directed by Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters. I can't believe the semi-fluff they put on T.V. nowadays. Anyway, it was so-so at best, as it reflected on the studio where so many artists/musicians created their top albums. When the studio closes it's like the story just halts and it's ad lib until the ending. I mean don't get me wrong it is interesting listening to people talking about life experiences in all and it does present the question of how the music industry is going to keep its humanness but it lacked a deeper substance. I know there is always a risk of overexposure but the film didn't go deep enough into the lives of the cast. It did present two different sides of the musical fence, one analog recording and two, digital recording. And, in the end, Mr. Grohl did obtain the orginal mixing console, (as if the film didn't focas enough on gear as it is). Two out of four stars in my opinion! [wink]

I was really looking forward to this (not sure why, because I'm not a big Grohl fan) and was I guess, a bit "underwhelmed". I thought it would have been a bit more "in depth" and while some of the history was interesting, I guess I was expecting a lot more. Not sure what, but just "more". I did enjoy the stuff about the original recording board, analog v. digital, et al.

And is it just me, or is "Sir Paul" just becoming some kind of a publicity whore these days (like he needs to)?

Glad I had recorded Fogerty's special right after (it's about 6 years old or so) but it was a real rocker and worth the time investment.

I thought it was great. A nice look into the way it used to be done before Pro Tools and the like. Grohl is being a little self indulgent about his new toy. But a nice history lesson.

I liked it too even though I'm sick of seeing Grohl & Sir Paul in every new music doc. The Fleetwood Mac stuff was cool.

Archived