• Last Reply

Who says a ES-335 "can't do Metal?" Just because people don't choose one,

fcr that particular genre, doesn't mean it's not possible. Clapton used a

335, for some time, at "Metal" Volumes. Isn't "Metal" more about technique,

than a particular guitar? Sure, there may be certain types of guitars,

that are (seemingly) more suitable for "Metal." But, it doesn't mean you

can't do it, on a 335. :rolleyes: That's like saying you can't play Classical,

on anything but a nylon string guitar. It may be "traditional," but it's still

possible, to play any genre, on any guitar, if so inclined.

CB

Page played a Tele. Who knew? Slash wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Strat.

Slash does own a fender Strat and over a hundred other guitars, just because he uses a Les Paul on stage and to record doesn't mean he just uses that one sole guitar. He bought it because of the sound he was looking for not purely for looks. You watch any band rig rundown video and 99% of the time the artists say they bought the guitar for the sound.

A prime example would be an interview with Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day he says its the sound he went for, that was what made him buy his Les Paul Junior .

You missed my point once again elliot. Supposedly, from what I've read, Page played an LP on stage to play stuff he'd recorded with a Tele. How often do you see Slash pictured with a Strat? Like CB said, and as has been said on this board many times before, we buy guitars for many reason, its sound being only one. If you're not playing clean, and you're using multiple effects, what difference does it make what guitar you're playing? You are still gonna sound like you.

To the OP, there is not enough difference in the sound of an LP and a 335 to make a difference once you change the setup and start to modify its sound. My advice to you is to buy the guitar that fits you best and looks best in the mirror.

Who says a ES-335 "can't do Metal?" Just because people don't choose one,

fcr that particular genre, doesn't mean it's not possible. Clapton used a

335, for some time, at "Metal" Volumes. Isn't "Metal" more about technique,

than a particular guitar? Sure, there may be certain types of guitars,

that are (seemingly) more suitable for "Metal." But, it doesn't mean you

can't do it, on a 335. :rolleyes: That's like saying you can't play Classical,

on anything but a nylon string guitar. It may be "traditional," but it's still

possible, to play any genre, on any guitar, if so inclined.

CB

People in general who have talked about the 335, i've seen it mentioned in online videos before a while back. Its not just about technique, although part of it, you need to have the right guitar as well to play it. If you tried to play metal on a 335 it would sound awful and be very hard to do due to the way the guitar is. Its not a shredding type of guitar.

You missed my point once again elliot. Supposedly, from what I've read, Page played an LP on stage to play stuff he'd recorded with a Tele. How often do you see Slash pictured with a Strat? Like CB said, and as has been said on this board many times before, we buy guitars for many reason, its sound being only one. If you're not playing clean, and you're using multiple effects, what difference does it make what guitar you're playing? You are still gonna sound like you.

To the OP, there is not enough difference in the sound of an LP and a 335 to make a difference once you change the setup and start to modify its sound. My advice to you is to buy the guitar that fits you best and looks best in the mirror.

How have I missed your point? You said image is everything, and i'm just explaining that it isn't. Artists can change their setup though to limit the amount of guitars they take on the road, so that may have been the case why Page used a Tele. Having the right guitar is key to what you want to play.

People in general who have talked about the 335, i've seen it mentioned in online videos before a while back. Its not just about technique, although part of it, you need to have the right guitar as well to play it. If you tried to play metal on a 335 it would sound awful and be very hard to do due to the way the guitar is. Its not a shredding type of guitar.

And, of course, on-line videos are the holy grail of opinions, right?! :rolleyes:

You can "shred" on any guitar, provided it's set up for that, and you have the right

AMP, and settings. (Which, personally, I think is more important, that any particular

guitar.)

Sure, some guitars may fit an exact player's style or preferences, and that's fine.

And, their "fan boys," will swear in blood, that his/her guitar is the only one what

works, for that type music. Marketing, and mass hysteria! But, to say a particular

guitar "can't do" whatever genre is foolish, and lacks imagination.

But, of course, one's OWN personal choice is always the best way to go. I'd merely

stop short of saying that a particular guitar "can't" do a particular genre, as long

as the player is up to the task. :)

CB

And, of course, on-line videos are the holy grail of opinions, right?! :rolleyes:

You can "shred" on any guitar, provided it's set up for that, and you have the right

AMP, and settings. (Which, personally, I think is more important, that any particular

guitar.)

Sure, some guitars may fit an exact player's style or preferences, and that's fine.

And, their "fan boys," will swear in blood, that his/her guitar is the only one what

works, for that type music. Marketing, and mass hysteria! But, to say a particular

guitar "can't do" whatever genre is foolish, and lacks imagination.

But, of course, one's OWN personal choice is always the best way to go. I'd merely

stop short of saying that a particular guitar "can't" do a particular genre, as long

as the player is up to the task. :)

CB

I didn't say an online video was the holy grail of opinion. This has blown completely out of nowhere. As previously stated I said it would be more challenging to shred on a 335 due to the shape, construction etc. So why bother having a guitar that is not used even designed for metal playing be set up specially? All other equipment aside that would be silly you would just be making it harder for yourself.

I didn't say an online video was the holy grail of opinion. This has blown completely out of nowhere. As previously stated I said it would be more challenging to shred on a 335 due to the shape, construction etc. So why bother having a guitar that is not used even designed for metal playing be set up specially? All other equipment aside that would be silly you would just be making it harder for yourself.

Right, no offense intended. [tongue] Maybe my blood sugar was low? [scared][blush][biggrin]

I just have a bit of a time of it, when people start speaking in

what seem like absolutes. But, again, no offense meant. I know

that most "Metal" players seem to prefer solid body, high upper

fret access types of guitars, often (but not always) with skinny

(top to bottom) necks and flat fingerboards. To each, his/her own,

as always!

Cheers,

CB

Right, no offense intended. [tongue] Maybe my blood sugar was low? [scared][blush][biggrin]

I just have a bit of a time of it, when people start speaking in

what seem like absolutes. But, again, no offense meant. I know

that most "Metal" players seem to prefer solid body, high upper

fret access types of guitars, often (but not always) with skinny

(top to bottom) necks and flat fingerboards. To each, his/her own,

as always!

Cheers,

CB

No offence taken, what I meant was a 335 is not a suitable choice for metal music even with everything set and equipment etc it just wouldn't sound right. Yes a solid body guitar with upper fret access as you mentioned is generally considered the way to go for metal. Again its all down to personal preference.

One thing that nobody has mentioned is the difference in body size between the two models.

Will a 335 feel too large or will it be just right? Will a Les Paul feel too dinky or will that one fit right?

You can get used to just about anything but some instruments will feel like they were tailor made for you and you'll know it the second you put the strap over your shoulder.

One thing that nobody has mentioned is the difference in body size between the two models.

Will a 335 feel too large or will it be just right? Will a Les Paul feel too dinky or will that one fit right?

You can get used to just about anything but some instruments will feel like they were tailor made for you and you'll know it the second you put the strap over your shoulder.

Very True, Steve. For years, I played both, Les Pauls, and my "Lucille." Still do!

BUT, my newly acquired (4, this year, after a 40 year hiatus) SG's feel like "home!"

They are very hard (for me) to put down, these days. I had, quite literally, forgotten

how much I missed them. So, the Les Paul's and my other guitars, are feeling neglected,

I'm sure. [biggrin]

CB

I know what you mean about the SG, I had a Standard as my only guitar for many years and could see owning a whole slew of them.

Perhaps the best answer to the OP's question is you can't own just one as they're all nice and each instrument will teach you something new. I suppose that's why we end up with guitar collections.

Looks play a large part of it, too. The whole 335 family just looks right to me - I've looked at that design for decades and there's nothing out of place on it. That was the genius of the guys during the McCarty period - they had that eye for timeless lines kind of like a Jaguar XKE or Norton Commando or Triumph Bonneville. They nailed it with all of their designs; they did not put out one ugly guitar.

Archived