Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 335 or Les Paul 1958?

elliot110

Hi I am looking into purchasing my first ever Gibson guitar but am stuck on which guitar to go for, either the ES335 dot or Les Paul Custom 1958.

I am into the Foo Fighters, Jet, Kings of leon and the killers who I know most of them use the the ES335 pretty much exclusively, or another guitar shaped similar, however I do like other artists such as U2, Green Day and Paramore who use Les Pauls.

Like both guitars but I can only choose one for now.

Also I have seen on the ES335 that there is a plain gloss top and figured gloss top version both vary by a reasonable amount in price. Does this make a noticable difference in tone or is it just aesthetics. Is the figured gloss top worth paying the extra for?

Would like some honest opinions please, as I would like to know which guitar would be most suited to the type of music I have mentioned above.

I currently play Strat shaped guitars.

Thanks

Elliot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big strat guy too but for me the 335 is THE guitar. I can get close enough to LP tones and still have

those smoky semi-hollow tones. Personally I would not pay extra for a figured top unless there were

other upgrade features.

My favorite guitar of the 60 or so I've owned is my current 2008 "Fat Neck".

I think a plain gloss top 335 is a fine guitar. As far as I am aware the only difference between the plain and figured models is the figuring. I too have asked myself if the price difference is worth it since after all the top is laminated wood.

I love my '59 historic 335. It's got a very fat neck though. Although if you are considering a '58 LP, those also have fat necks. Probably similar prices too.

If you don't like fat necks on your guitars, then neither of these reissue models is gonna be right for you. Both 335's and LP's are available in models with the 60's style slim taper necks.

You will also find most 335's are lighter than most LP's.

I'm a big strat guy too but for me the 335 is THE guitar. I can get close enough to LP tones and still have

those smoky semi-hollow tones. Personally I would not pay extra for a figured top unless there were

other upgrade features.

My favorite guitar of the 60 or so I've owned is my current 2008 "Fat Neck".

Ok, thanks for helpful advice, yes I didn't think it was worth paying hundreds more for just a prettier look, especially if it doesn't alter the tone in anyway from what others have said.

Nice choice.

I think a plain gloss top 335 is a fine guitar. As far as I am aware the only difference between the plain and figured models is the figuring. I too have asked myself if the price difference is worth it since after all the top is laminated wood.

I love my '59 historic 335. It's got a very fat neck though. Although if you are considering a '58 LP, those also have fat necks. Probably similar prices too.

If you don't like fat necks on your guitars, then neither of these reissue models is gonna be right for you. Both 335's and LP's are available in models with the 60's style slim taper necks.

You will also find most 335's are lighter than most LP's.

Thanks for the help, I don't mind fat necks, the 58 LP isn't actually that much fatter than the 335 i found. Yes there is quite a difference in the weight of the two instruments.

The 335 is A LOT more versatile. Go with it. You won't be sorry. [thumbup]

That helps a lot, thanks. Between the two I am more leaning towards the 335 now from everyone on this page saying it 'the' guitar to go for coupled with the versatility which is useful as my music taste is quite varied.

I bought a figured top 335, and I'm happy I did. I'd played a number of LPs and 335s over the years, but the best of them happened to be a figured top I tried a few years ago. The tone and sustain were superb, complimented by the looks. Tone is what makes a guitar, but good looks in this case were icing on the cake.

I bought a figured top 335, and I'm happy I did. I'd played a number of LPs and 335s over the years, but the best of them happened to be a figured top I tried a few years ago. The tone and sustain were superb, complimented by the looks. Tone is what makes a guitar, but good looks in this case were icing on the cake.

Nice, yes tone is definitely more important than looks, but like you said have a nice look is an added bonus on top :)

Get both! which one you get first is of little consequence IMO. If you are talking Custom shop ES-335 and LP R-8's, you wont be disappointed with either. They are both incredible and both very versatile. It took me many years to get both of them but finally did it.

IMG_0436.jpg

LPR83PVOITNH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Pardon the file photo on the R-8 but mine is exactly like this one.

I'm a big time stat guy...and I have beautiful flame top sunburst 335 w/Bigsby and it's the only choice...do not buy a Les Paul...335 all the way!

Don335 [thumbup]

Hi Don, thats good, sounds nice I bet that is more of a vintage 335 i presume if it has the Bigsby? Thanks seems like the 335 is the way to go by the sounds of things from what other people have said which is good to know :)

Get both! which one you get first is of little consequence IMO. If you are talking Custom shop ES-335 and LP R-8's, you wont be disappointed with either. They are both incredible and both very versatile. It took me many years to get both of them but finally did it.

IMG_0436.jpg

LPR83PVOITNH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Pardon the file photo on the R-8 but mine is exactly like this one.

Wow they both look beautiful guitars. Is that a '59 335 or a Historic? Looks like it or similar. Thanks for the advice, although I would love to own both I can only pick one for now so still deciding on which one first haha. Its not easy but am leaning more towards the 335 at the moment as I have wanted it for a very long time, more than a Les Paul '58 even.

That helps a lot, thanks. Between the two I am more leaning towards the 335 now from everyone on this page saying it 'the' guitar to go for coupled with the versatility which is useful as my music taste is quite varied.

If you had have posted this question in the les paul forum.... ???

But, yeah, as another Strat player, I'd also say that I played a les paul the other day properly for the first time and something that really bugged me was the upper fret access. This is something you could and would find a way to work around by altering your hand/wrist/arm posture for the higher notes, but it surprised me how much of an impediment it was coming straight from Strat/335-land. Of course the 335 doesn't have this problem, nor the sg, nor the explorer, 'bird, etc... not saying it can't be done but its worth considering if you like to get her screamin up there and don't want to reinvent your technique to do it...

My only ES shaped guitar is a Weimann Blues Bird with Seymour Duncan P90s, and it is the best ES guitar I found ever, and so I stay with it since 1985. I love it for its percussive tone along with a sustain that comes rather close to that of Les Paul guitars. Like the typical Gibson ES guitars and SGs of which I own four, the strap button on the neck joint is a hindrance for easy higher fret access since it makes the bass sided cutaway more of an optical than a useful thing.

As for Les Pauls, there seems to be nothing that beats them for sustain. The higher neck heel is not a trouble for me. The Axcess shaping of my Alex Lifeson signature Les Paul is a bit more comfortable, but not that much in my opinion. Since I play several Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters as well as Les Pauls and SGs, I can say that the step at the Fender neck/body junction is no trouble for me, too, as well as the single cutaway of a Tele or a Les Paul.

In my opinion, you should find your decision by checking out both ES and Les Paul guitars. If you look for sustain and an overall dense tone, a Les Paul will be the better choice. I don't know if it's the fat neck or the massive body, but the Traditional 2013 is the one of mine without any weaker note and the best sustain of higher notes. I think it can be an alternative on a budget compared to a 1958 reissue with only little compromises in tone, and featuring virtually the same neck profile, although it might be a bit heavier. Next to all Les Paul guitars with a massive body are somewhat heavier than even heavy Strats.

Looking for a more percussive tone, the ES-335 could be what you are looking for. They appear to be a bit lighter weighted than most Strats, too, and of course practically any Les Paul guitar. Their sound is more airy compared to a Les Paul, which is due to woods and construction I think. The sustain of higher notes is somewhat shorter than on Les Pauls, but heavy string gauges might help. However, most heavy gauge string sets are available flatwound only, and roundwounds heavier than .012" for the E1st are rare. You will have to sacrifice bending capability using them, especially due to the wound G3rd.

I believe that both ES and Les Paul guitars are well-suited for next to all kinds of music, and so are open for your musical development. Moreover, I am sure that playing each of them will be inspiring for you due to abilities that set them apart from the Strats you are accustomed to. I think that Les Paul guitars make some more difference since the contrast to Strats is considerably large.

When it goes around figured tops, I think that they are a nice bonus when playability and sound are to your taste. A guitar that is all to your taste in any respect could be worth to spend a little more money on it, but if I had to decide between them, I would prefer both playability and sound over looks.

If you had have posted this question in the les paul forum.... ???

But, yeah, as another Strat player, I'd also say that I played a les paul the other day properly for the first time and something that really bugged me was the upper fret access. This is something you could and would find a way to work around by altering your hand/wrist/arm posture for the higher notes, but it surprised me how much of an impediment it was coming straight from Strat/335-land. Of course the 335 doesn't have this problem, nor the sg, nor the explorer, 'bird, etc... not saying it can't be done but its worth considering if you like to get her screamin up there and don't want to reinvent your technique to do it...

Yes I have posted in the Les Paul Forum as well. Thanks for the advice i didn't know that, will bear that in mind before deciding which one is right for me.

My only ES shaped guitar is a Weimann Blues Bird with Seymour Duncan P90s, and it is the best ES guitar I found ever, and so I stay with it since 1985. I love it for its percussive tone along with a sustain that comes rather close to that of Les Paul guitars. Like the typical Gibson ES guitars and SGs of which I own four, the strap button on the neck joint is a hindrance for easy higher fret access since it makes the bass sided cutaway more of an optical than a useful thing.

As for Les Pauls, there seems to be nothing that beats them for sustain. The higher neck heel is not a trouble for me. The Axcess shaping of my Alex Lifeson signature Les Paul is a bit more comfortable, but not that much in my opinion. Since I play several Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters as well as Les Pauls and SGs, I can say that the step at the Fender neck/body junction is no trouble for me, too, as well as the single cutaway of a Tele or a Les Paul.

In my opinion, you should find your decision by checking out both ES and Les Paul guitars. If you look for sustain and an overall dense tone, a Les Paul will be the better choice. I don't know if it's the fat neck or the massive body, but the Traditional 2013 is the one of mine without any weaker note and the best sustain of higher notes. I think it can be an alternative on a budget compared to a 1958 reissue with only little compromises in tone, and featuring virtually the same neck profile, although it might be a bit heavier. Next to all Les Paul guitars with a massive body are somewhat heavier than even heavy Strats.

Looking for a more percussive tone, the ES-335 could be what you are looking for. They appear to be a bit lighter weighted than most Strats, too, and of course practically any Les Paul guitar. Their sound is more airy compared to a Les Paul, which is due to woods and construction I think. The sustain of higher notes is somewhat shorter than on Les Pauls, but heavy string gauges might help. However, most heavy gauge string sets are available flatwound only, and roundwounds heavier than .012" for the E1st are rare. You will have to sacrifice bending capability using them, especially due to the wound G3rd.

I believe that both ES and Les Paul guitars are well-suited for next to all kinds of music, and so are open for your musical development. Moreover, I am sure that playing each of them will be inspiring for you due to abilities that set them apart from the Strats you are accustomed to. I think that Les Paul guitars make some more difference since the contrast to Strats is considerably large.

When it goes around figured tops, I think that they are a nice bonus when playability and sound are to your taste. A guitar that is all to your taste in any respect could be worth to spend a little more money on it, but if I had to decide between them, I would prefer both playability and sound over looks.

Hi Thanks for your really detailed and helpful advice, will take all this into account as am still deciding which guitar is right for me but at the moment and leaning more towards the 335 overall. I agree sound is more important than looks.

i know this isn't one you asked about but, if you are only going to buy a LP -OR- a 335, I suggest you look into an ES-339.

It is the size of a LP but retains the semi-hollow quality of a 335 and has upper register access. My 339 doesn't sound exactly like a 335 or a LP- it really is inbetween the two. Just something to consider.

i know this isn't one you asked about but, if you are only going to buy a LP -OR- a 335, I suggest you look into an ES-339.

It is the size of a LP but retains the semi-hollow quality of a 335 and has upper register access. My 339 doesn't sound exactly like a 335 or a LP- it really is inbetween the two. Just something to consider.

Hi, thats ok am open to suggestions. Have tried the 339 but in my opinion because of the size of the 335 it sounds full and better than the 339. I prefer the 335 over the 339.

Thanks

Elliot

sounds like the 335 is the one you should go for!

as for your question about gloss and figuring, none of that makes any difference in terms of the sound of the instrument. Is it worth the upcharge? Only you can decide that. I bought my R8 because it was the best sounding guitar I had ever touched- but it wasn't a cherry or iced tea finish with some flame, so it didn't take long for my GAS to flare up again.

After many years of buying, haggling, selling and trading, my advice is to cry once. Buy what you really want the first time, even if it means saving up a little longer and/or spending more money on something that isn't "worth" anything like a flametop. $0.02.

Please post pics when you get your new 335!

PS: Personally, I think you should get a 345, but holy cow $$$$$$$

Archived