Gibson Brands Forums

L5 pics = please post

AlanC

Yeah yeah Danny. It's got to be the best guitar photo I've seen. An awesome collection. Envy is the colour green…...

I wasn't going to post anything, but I couldn't help myself <_<

Here's a full-size, cherry red L-5C just to keep things moving:

4f8cc6cc.jpg

Danny W.

4f8cc6cc.jpg

Danny W.

Another absolute beauty. Great collection Danny. I'd like a couple of them at some stage so feel free to be generous.

Here's something different:

Front1_zps582b5d21.jpg

Danny W.

I once saw a photo of a '60's (? I think) blond Johnny Smith that had been fitted with a Charlie Christian pickup (it was in the inventory of Mandolin Brothers in NYC years ago), and as I recall, the head inlay looked just like this. I don't know if it was ordered with that inlay, but I think the pickup was a modification (I think the tone bars had been partially cut). I believe it was Adrian Ingram that told me this, and to steer clear. Anyway, I find these head inlays to be a curious thing. Got any info on that, Danny?

I once saw a photo of a '60's (? I think) blond Johnny Smith that had been fitted with a Charlie Christian pickup (it was in the inventory of Mandolin Brothers in NYC years ago), and as I recall, the head inlay looked just like this. I don't know if it was ordered with that inlay, but I think the pickup was a modification (I think the tone bars had been partially cut). I believe it was Adrian Ingram that told me this, and to steer clear. Anyway, I find these head inlays to be a curious thing. Got any info on that, Danny?

It's a tribute to Gibson "fern" mandolin headstocks. There was a twin of this one in blonde. Here's the headstock:

568b9d51.jpg

It was a beautiful guitar, but I found its acoustic voice to be small and the neck was a bit more slim than I like, so it was one of the guitars I sold to make room for my L-5 Signatures.

Danny W.

It's a tribute to Gibson "fern" mandolin headstocks. There was a twin of this one in blonde. Here's the headstock:

568b9d51.jpg

It was a beautiful guitar, but I found its acoustic voice to be small and the neck was a bit more slim than I like, so it was one of the guitars I sold to make room for my L-5 Signatures.

Danny W.

She really is beautiful.

Can you please explain what you mean by L5 Signatures? Do you mean Wes, Johnny Smith, Lee Ritenour etc?

She really is beautiful.

Can you please explain what you mean by L5 Signatures? Do you mean Wes, Johnny Smith, Lee Ritenour etc?

The L-5 Signature is a small-bodied (15.5" x 2.625") version of the L-5 that Gibson produced during the previous decade. The Lee Ritenour is an acoustically-braced version of it, but there were also set-in one- and two-pickup versions too. I really like these for gigging.

There was another thread about them here:

My link

Danny W.

The L-5 Signature is a small-bodied (15.5" x 2.625") version of the L-5 that Gibson produced during the previous decade. The Lee Ritenour is an acoustically-braced version of it, but there were also set-in one- and two-pickup versions too. I really like these for gigging.

There was another thread about them here:

My link

Danny W.

Thanks Danny. I really like my L5 Rit but didn't realise there were other versions with the same body

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

4f8cc6cc.jpg

Danny W.

That, right there, is my dream guitar in my dream configuration. Absolutely gorgeous!

4f8cc6cc.jpg

That, right there, is my dream guitar in my dream configuration. Absolutely gorgeous!

It is a beautiful guitar. The original owner had it custom built, but apparently got carried away with guitar buying and had to sell one or two--it was like brand new when I bought it

05594b02.jpg

Ok I'm confused. Which one is the Byrdland? I see the tailpieces but the pickup spacing appears the be the same on all no? Thanks much. [rolleyes]

Lol! It is confusing--listen very carefully, I shall say this only once (that is a running gag from the Britcom "Allo 'Allo!").

The two florentines at the top are almost identical except for body depth (the one on the right is 2" at the rims, the other is 2.25"), color, and markings. The one on the left has "Byrdland" on the tailpiece, label and its original truss rod cover, which is currently in storage. The one on the right is labeled "L-5 CT Florentine," the original TRC was engraved "Custom L-5" and the tailpiece has a custom graphic engraved where "Byrdland" would usually be found. Both guitars have a 25.5" scale length.

As to why one is a Byrdland and the other an L-5 CT all Gibson was able to tell me is "Someone must have ordered them that way."

Hope this un-confuses you.

Danny W.

4f8cc6cc.jpg

It is a beautiful guitar. The original owner had it custom built, but apparently got carried away with guitar buying and had to sell one or two--it was like brand new when I bought it

05594b02.jpg

Lol! It is confusing--listen very carefully, I shall say this only once (that is a running gag from the Britcom "Allo 'Allo!").

The two florentines at the top are almost identical except for body depth (the one on the right is 2" at the rims, the other is 2.25"), color, and markings. The one on the left has "Byrdland" on the tailpiece, label and its original truss rod cover, which is currently in storage. The one on the right is labeled "L-5 CT Florentine," the original TRC was engraved "Custom L-5" and the tailpiece has a custom graphic engraved where "Byrdland" would usually be found. Both guitars have a 25.5" scale length.

As to why one is a Byrdland and the other an L-5 CT all Gibson was able to tell me is "Someone must have ordered them that way."

Hope this un-confuses you.

Danny W.

[thumbup] Gotcha. I notice that the shape of the cut away on the left hand guitar looks tighter and similar to the one on my L4CES. The one on the right has a more open look traditional for the florentine L5CES. Or is it just the angle of the shot?

Archived