Gibson Brands Forums

Synapse Vocal Effect Integrator

Izzy

This is a vocalist question but I know ya'll have hung with vocalists before or are yourselves vocalists maybe, so I'll go ahead and ask the smartest people I know;

I know there is a reason you can't just plug directly into a guitar pedal with a microphone, even with a pre-amp. It probably has to do with the wave of sound and what the guitar pedals are designed to handle versus what a dedicated vocal processor is designed to handle. I reckon analog clean through is the way to go through the whole chain. I'm sure scientific explanations are available. I'm sure this is why dedicated vocal fx boxers are a thing.

I may like the classic effects of commercial vocal processors (delay reverb chorus boring boring) but wouldn't it be cool to have NO LIMITS!!!

Is there a pedal that can make the vocal signal easy for my guitar fx pedals to digest? DI pedal maybe? This is the closest thing I've seen.....EPIC but expensive too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe87Nmgh0o

About the pedal, seriously guys, nothing you can think of that would save me some $?

You can actually plug a vocal mic into a guitar box as long as it is a high-impedance mic (1/4 jack). People used to

plug them into guitar amps all the time. If your mics are all low impedance (XLR connector) you can use one of

these impedance transformers... ($22 via this link)

516c15AMcEL.jpg

I know there is a reason you can't just plug directly into a guitar pedal with a microphone

No there isn't. All you need is a "High Impedance" mic, or a Low to High impedance transformer adapter.

Is there a pedal that can make the vocal signal easy for my guitar fx pedals to digest?

Here's the transformer to get a standard low impedance mic into your pedal stream:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062443

Now, if you need to get the signal back to low impedance for an XLR type input, you'll need one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062444

OR... if you can find a "high impedance" microphone you can plug the 1/4" jack right into the pedals.

Transformer, as has been mentioned much already.

The pedals are made for guitars and guitar signals and the nuance of stringed instrument signals, so you will probably be slightly disappointed when you get it on tape, it just doesn't sound that great.

I have TCHelicon VoiceWorX pro something or other, has a bunch of stuff, doublers and harmonizers and nice reverbs and chorussii and stuff, robots and megaphones and things like that, all twerked for the voice. Not super expensive and fits in the Rack Of Doom next to my Throne Of Production. 400 bucks or so, does a lot and is a great preamp of its own.

Good luck with it, it is fun!

rct

You can actually plug a vocal mic into a guitar box as long as it is a high-impedance mic (1/4 jack). People used to

plug them into guitar amps all the time. If your mics are all low impedance (XLR connector) you can use one of

these impedance transformers... ($22 via this link)

516c15AMcEL.jpg

Then why would they make the magical box for $250...I mean is that box doing something more than the impedance adaptor bit? I would hope so!

One more note on the "tech" side.

It's not just the cord (XLR or 1/4") that changes a mic from low to high impedance, it's the transformer inside the microphone. Just changing the cord will not work.

And to confuse the matter even more, there are also "dual impedance" mics.

Then why would they make the magical box for $250...I mean is that box doing something more than the impedance adaptor bit? I would hope so!

That box is basically making an instrument level effects send and return out of low impedance input. If you like gizmos, its good. If you aren't that impressed with gizmos, you can just get a transformer, run yer mic into your Pedal Board Of Destruction, and go with it.

rct

Here's the transformer to get a standard low impedance mic into your pedal stream:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062443

Now, if you need to get the signal back to low impedance for an XLR type input, you'll need one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062444

I like my microphone (AKG D 1200 E SO vintage) so the adaptors seem like the way to go.

Ok so to recap...this box has both the outgoing "turn your low impedance to a high impedance and plug into pedals" section and a "plug the end of your chain back into the box to turn the high impedance into low impedance so we can go XLR on the mixer." Is this right?

regular low mic ---> low to high ---> pedals --->high to low ---> mixer/PA

Well, that's a cheap alternative! Thanks, this is way more clearly explained than the other forums I visited which had covered the issue.

Archived