Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, Nighthawk update.

Thundergod

Ok, my friend told me both guitars (nighthawk and blueshawk) stories...

He was helping another friend make an inventory of stuff in the storing room of that guy's store... that guy used to be a gibson authorized dealer... now he is not and he sells gibsons only when he buys them from the authorized dealer (and so he sells them at higher prices, say 1400 for a bfg and 2000 for a studio).

That guy is ok, I know him, he is a good friend of my friend (luthier, great player, and owns a small repair shop/store), and is very reliable, so if he says this is the story it probably is.

He knew he had those guitars but never cared much because back in the day (like, 12 years ago) gibson shipped those things to him, they sent him 5 of each model (night-blues), 1 custom night, 1 standard night, and 3 special nighthawks... as for the blueshawks, he says they were all the same.

He didnt sell them, no one even cared to ask for them, he ended up giving them up for very cheap (he is not willing to say how much), and even then he didnt sell all of them, he still has one blueshawk (that my luthier friend is keeping), and 2 nighthawks...

They are new, one with case one without (I guess one is a standard and the other is a special, that or the case just got lost).

He wants 800 bucks for either... regardless of the model (standard, special, custom). He said he would check up which model they are for me and give me a call... (damn I wish he had 2 blueshawks instead).

So I am wondering... would it be ok for me to buy one? They are unused, at most they left their case/gigbag/box just to be placed on display or tried once or twice (he is reliable and I have shopped at his store for more than 10 years, I remember seeing those guitars once a long time ago when he had the store in other city (the capital), at his store you are not permited to go and take guitars down and try them ... you have to ask and give a credit card so that if you damage anything you pay for it... most people consider him an asshole for that but I think he is just playing safe, serious costumers like the way he runs his store).

Is 800 too much? I've seen them go on ebay for 700 (special) and up to 1000 (standard) and more than 1000 (custom) USED... I think I may offer him 700 with for the one without a case and 800 if he thows the case in.

I have to go and try them today or monday... I tried the bleshawk and it just kicked ***...

Also... I am considering buying that nighthawk and modding it... is that idiotic or ok?

I thought the same... the two things I am not liking about that guitar are: the weird looking bridge pickup and the bridge itself... but if it sounds as I have heard on youtube and is as versatile as they say, then for 800 new it should be a very good deal (IMO), for a made in the usa guitar with a case that's not bad eh?

I am 75% sure about buying one... but would like you guys to give me your opinions so I can be 100%.

I think the bridge looks fine and, while the slanted humbucker has sort of an 80s feel to it's look, I think it works with the appearance of the guitar. Overall, I think it's a smart looking design that is familiar but breaks out of the mold so it doesn't look like the same-old same-old Les Paul or Strat or Tele or whatever that I've seen 100,000 times before. You actually got me thinking about buying one and saw a sharp looking red one for sale - time to check my bank account!

...of course I will! (post pics IF... what the hell... WHEN I buy her). Sounds like a prety decent guitar for gigs and a very good guitar for expanding the ever growing mini collection I wont admit I have... (dont run scared... most of them are cheap under 600 guitars).

Thunder God, considering all the trouble and the taxes that buying from this guy will save (and also considering they are NOS) I would do the deal. I mean, if you have the money and you dig those guitars =)

I already told you I'm a sucker for the blueshawk. I really dig the Nighthawk, but the BH not only have an unnusual look as it has very unusual tones (plural).

I can link like 10 more awesome Blueshawk videos if you are still in doubt. And the Blueshawk website =)

Thunder God' date=' considering all the trouble and the taxes that buying from this guy will save (and also considering they are NOS) I would do the deal. I mean, if you have the money and you dig those guitars =)

I already told you I'm a sucker for the blueshawk. I really dig the Nighthawk, but the BH not only have an unnusual look as it has very unusual tones (plural).

I can link like 10 more awesome Blueshawk videos if you are still in doubt. And the Blueshawk website =)[/quote']

...did you say "blueshawk website"?

I will give them a try on monday or later today... sadly my friend (the luthier, the bastard!) already got the blueshawk (which looked awesome) and I guess was great (p90s!) so the BH is out of the picture... :'( I'll give the NH a try anyway... if I like her I will have her here for tuesday...

It could use a little polishing, but it is usefull: http://www.blueshawk.info/intro.htm

You can try t buy your bastar... friend's guitar as well. Tell him you want to have her and that your are more of a man the he is. And put up a scary face. Some Al Pacino scarface strong vocabulary could work as well.

What a shame, if ou buy the NH intead of the BH the grass will always be greener on the other side... (yeah, I suck)

off course the blueshawk seems nice and P90's rock (but only on goldtops :-k ) but I really think the nighthawk could be an interesting choice as well, I was searching for one years ago but never got to it and settled on a les paul studio (which off course also is a fiiine guitar)

Best of luck to you, and as always, try before you buy haha

I bought a Nighthawk new in 1995 0r 96. It was a beautiful trans red, and was the 3 pickup model with the varitone and five way switch.

I loved the look and feel of the guitar, but there were so many pickup switching options that I would sometimes forget the settings I needed when playing live, so I would always end up back with my SG or Tele.

I ended up trading it in on a Ric at a local shop. Wish I hadn't done that now.

Hey guys... I found this on ebay: nighthawk special in sunburst with a buy it now price of 1000 (already has 5 offers, but ok, for all we know they could have offered 10 bucks... ). I hope I can see how much it went for when it ends.

My guy called me with the price... he is willing to sell the standard for 800 and the special for 680 (the special he has is exactly like the one on ebay right now, but unused).

I couldnt go and try it today, will do on monday... and right now I am 90% sure I will be getting her home... even if it is to sell her on ebay whenever I go to the states (from the looks of it, I could get at least 250 extra at the end).

Here's the ebay link, it ends on december the 29th:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Gibson-Nighthawk-3-Pickups-Vintage-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ150317471457QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item150317471457&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Really? So it was a little good then... :P

Oh it was a great guitar, but at the time I was doing a lot of gear changing and trading, trying to find "my sound", ya know. The Varitone was just a bit much for me at the time, and to tell the truth, I had no use for many of the settings, and the number of options would get a little confusing when things got busy on stage. I'm one of those guys that needs to keep things simple and easy to use. I really needed to concentrate on my playing, in other words. We were doing a lot of SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, that sort of stuff, and I was the rhythm player, keyboard player, plus backup and some lead vocals. Anything complicated to set up or play would quickly get replaced with something easier to manage

I regret letting that one go more than any other guitar I've ever had. I didn't keep the Ric long at all. I had some legal problems shortly after getting it and had to sell a bunch of gear. Haven't even thought about the Ric in years. They make some great guitars, but that model was not one of their best.

Archived