Gibson Brands Forums

Video: 11-Year-Old Girl Covers Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell"

CoreyT

Good to see youth doing some cool stuff.

Was in my Guitar World newsletter today.

http://www.guitarworld.com/video-11-year-old-girl-covers-black-sabbaths-heaven-and-hell

Below, check out a recently posted (October 31) video of an 11-year-old Ronnie James Dio fan named Sara covering Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" with her band, Motion Device.

Sara dedicates the performance to Black Sabbath "and the one and only Ronnie James Dio."

Motion Device is rounded out by Sara's 14-year-old brother, David, on drums; their 16-year-old sister, Andrea, on six-string bass and piano; their cousin, 19-year-old Josh on lead guitar; and 19-year-old Alex, a family friend, on rhythm guitar.

Dio often cited "Heaven and Hell" as one of the songs he was most proud of. He said the song, which was written by Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward, is about our ability to choose between doing good and doing evil, essentially how we all have "heaven and hell" inside us.

Well I clicked....she's gonna be huge. What a voice! A great voice.

So then I went to Utube and watched a couple; I'm not convinced by an 11-yr old singing 'Whole Lotta Love' - that's not a good choice - but I liked her singing of 'Tom Sawyer' much better than Geddy Lee!!

She's got a great voice and it'll only get better.

Hope she stays clear of all/some of the temptations as she uh, grows up...who am I to talk?

But you have to look at a kid like that, with that much talent and say OMG does she know what's coming when she takes that road? Which she looks like she is gonna take, no question.

No, how could she know?

Does anybody else keep getting virus alerts now when you click on these links? Every link I click on now in the Gibson Forum gives me virus alerts....is this anything to do with the site recently going offline for 2 days?

I am not getting any virus links, and I run XP Pro, and Webroot Secure Anywhere which is both an anti virus and anti malware program.

Sure hope nothing is here.

At work we run Macafe, and nothing has popped up there either.

Who do you think has a better voice, Sara, or the young girl who sings one of Dream Theaters songs?

OMG they're so good aren't they? I mean they're just kids! Great timing and that drummer is excellent. What can you say? In truth I think Sara has much more of a voice at the moment but who can say where the other one will take it - she's in tune, good timing too. These are going to be just fantastic musicians whether they manage to make a successful career or not.

And - no virus on that one. Just seems to be the 1st time I click on anything. I'm still running on ancient XP Media so it's probably my gear.

But you have to look at a kid like that, with that much talent and say OMG does she know what's coming when she takes that road?

I look at a kid like that, plastered all over the YouTube, and I ask myself "Self, who are her parents?"

They own the RockStar School she goes to. They have knobbed Vai, DT, couple other bands into appearing at their RockStar School and Concert Hall. They record their children playing famous peoples covers and then they send those covers to the original artists and all of their handlers to get the kids noticed by the original artists. And who can resist a cute little nine year old singing or playing their song? They have shamelessly promoted themselves, their school, and their children and injected them into the local political and community scene there.

Talent? Yeah, maybe. Like Taylor Swift and countless others, the real talent is the unending well of mortgages and tenacity the parents display as dad gets his kid to have the rock star career that he didn't. Like her dad.

rct

Does anybody else keep getting virus alerts now when you click on these links? Every link I click on now in the Gibson Forum gives me virus alerts....is this anything to do with the site recently going offline for 2 days?

Nope, running XP using Vipre virus software. It has a very effective web page blocker for malware and content. Nothing popping up for me when I hit any links.

Talent? Yeah, maybe. Like Taylor Swift and countless others, the real talent is the unending well of mortgages and tenacity the parents display as dad gets his kid to have the rock star career that he didn't. Like her dad.

rct

I couldn't agree more.

Growing up(teens to late 20s) I knew so many amazing players, singers, groups.

None of them went anywhere. Sure they had plenty of gigs and worked hard to tour western Canada but nothing bigger than that.

It was pre internet and mtv video crap and the only way

to get "big" was to have about a half a mil in the bank,move down to Cali, and promote yourself until you drop.

And if you were able to pull all that off, you may have had a lottery winning

chance of getting your stuff heard.

It was all about money and connections then and I don't imagine anything has changed.

Young talent is nothing new.

Was always tons of young talent around when I was growing up.

They own the RockStar School she goes to. They have knobbed Vai, DT, couple other bands into appearing at their RockStar School and Concert Hall. They record their children playing famous peoples covers and then they send those covers to the original artists and all of their handlers to get the kids noticed by the original artists. And who can resist a cute little nine year old singing or playing their song? They have shamelessly promoted themselves, their school, and their children and injected them into the local political and community scene there.

rct

Well - I didn't know any of that. But that is the way of the World. What RockStar school is it? More important, can all of that completely guarantee success?

I don't think so, because despite Taylor Swift (who doesn't sing any better than millions of other girls, probably worse in fact from what I've heard of her) there have been plenty of kids of famous parents who never got anywhere because they didn't have any real talent or the drive and ambition.

And Hollywood has worked that way for decades. It helps an awful lot to be either well connected OR young, slim and beautiful in almost any career. EMI wouldn't have invested in Kate Bush - no matter how talented - if she had been plain. Luck of the draw. There are plenty of supermodels out there who never did anything except look stunning and got paid fortunes for it because 'we' worship elegance and beauty, however superficial that may be. They come and they go pretty quick when they begin to get old.

Sure, you and Quap are both 100% right - BUT.....you remember that quote about "there is music - and then there is the music business"..? There is the media showbiz TV, movie, rockstar world (which is rapidly shrinking now) and then there is the real World. No, it's not fair at all but no matter how good a start you get in either, there are no guarantees. IMO.

Archived