Gibson Brands Forums

Finally,new pickup in bridge of me LP Studio

guitar_randy

Finally made the switch from the 498t in my bridge position to a classic 57 plus,and what a difference!

Does exactly what I was hoping for.Its a very big improvement in my opinion.

I so far tested it in my micro cube and could detect a huge change.Tommorow I will give it more thorough test in my tube amp,but I'm pretty darn sure its going do what I wanted it to do.

I now have 2 498t's setting around,if anyone wants to make a trade or maybe buy one or both.

Guitar_Randy:

That's great to hear from you. Nothing beats a good set of pickups for a Les Paul...I also got rid of the 498t (and 490R) a while ago for my Les Paul Studio. They were an improvement, but unfortunately the guitar itself was the worse part...I had to sell it.

Guitar_Randy:

That's great to hear from you. Nothing beats a good set of pickups for a Les Paul...I also got rid of the 498t (and 490R) a while ago for my Les Paul Studio. They were an improvement' date=' but unfortunately the guitar itself was the worse part...I had to sell it.[/quote']

what was bad with the guitar,just the wood,not resonant?

What pickups did you put in to replace the 498t and 490r?

I still have the 490r in the neck.

I like the way the 490r sounds by itself in the neck and still deciding if it clashes with the 57 classic plus when using both pickups at same time,but I think it may be ok

Seriously' date=' I'm sure you'll love the 57 Classics. Especially through the tube amp. I've never played through them but I've never heard anything but praise from those who have. [/quote']

They do what I was after.Huge difference in the tone.Kind of expensive,but I enjoy the guitar much much more now

what was bad with the guitar' date='just the wood,not resonant?

What pickups did you put in to replace the 498t and 490r?

I still have the 490r in the neck.

I like the way the 490r sounds by itself in the neck and still deciding if it clashes with the 57 classic plus when using both pickups at same time,but I think it may be ok[/quote']

I replaced them with the Burstbuckers that were in my Standard Faded that time. Hit the low E-string from the LP Studio and the tone was gone after 1 second...it was just a 'dead' sounding guitar, both unplugged and plugged in.

I don't think the 490R/498T are bad pickups...it's just a matter of taste, but there are many other pickups (for example the 57 classics that can be a great upgrade).

My advice: If you're going for the 57 classic plus in the bridge, then I'd also replace the 490R in the neck...why? For the best tone and volume balance between the two pickups.

I replaced them with the Burstbuckers that were in my Standard Faded that time. Hit the low E-string from the LP Studio and the tone was gone after 1 second...it was just a 'dead' sounding guitar' date=' both unplugged and plugged in.

I don't think the 490R/498T are bad pickups...it's just a matter of taste, but there are many other pickups (for example the 57 classics that can be a great upgrade).

My advice: If you're going for the 57 classic plus in the bridge, then I'd also replace the 490R in the neck...why? For the best tone and volume balance between the two pickups.

[/quote']

Yea, I amy yet down the road.Just trying it like this a bit.According to the output chart the 490r is right about the same as the classic 57 in output.The tone I am sure is different tho.I do most of my playing with the bridge pickup itself,so I guess thats another reason I am not in any hurry to replace the neck and give it a chance.

The dead sounding studio you had,did you buy that online or somehweres where you didn't get chance to try it out first?I hit a low e string and it sustains for long time

can you remove the metal cover from the pickups? I have a Studio and if I do the swap I would like to also swap the covers. My current pickups (stock) are gold with many character additions (gold rubbed off due to playing). It would look goofy to have a new unscratched pickup when everything else in that area has the gold leaf removed due to my playing.

Probably,but I never did that,someone here probably has tho or knows how

Yea' date=' I amy yet down the road.Just trying it like this a bit.According to the output chart the 490r is right about the same as the classic 57 in output.The tone I am sure is different tho.I do most of my playing with the bridge pickup itself,so I guess thats another reason I am not in any hurry to replace the neck and give it a chance.

The dead sounding studio you had,did you buy that online or somehweres where you didn't get chance to try it out first?I hit a low e string and it sustains for long time[/quote']

No hurry...if you like the 490R (which is a good pickup), then leave it the way it is, especially since the 490R/57Classic are almost the same in terms of output. Tone is a matter of taste.

In my '88 Les Paul Standard I use two different pickups, with a different tone, but they're balanced in output. That guitar sounds great to me...I don't want to change anything. It's also kind of fun/unique finding your own tone by mixing two different pickups that actually sound great together.

I bought the Studio in a guitar shop. I thought it was a great playing/sounding guitar, but as time went by, the Studio became a 'dead' sounding guitar. I don't know why....

Enjoy your pickups and guitar, especially if it sounds great to you at the moment.

Archived