Gibson Brands Forums

Epi ES-339 Finish lacks grain filler?

Toner

My bro just got this Epiphone ES-339 Pro from a major online music store. Expecting a standard poly finish, but what he got was this Pelham Blue finish. Is this Normal? It seems like they forgot to fill the grain, or put enough coats of finish on to fill the grain. Has anybody seen Epiphones come like this?

post-1309-067631400 1385831767_thumb.jpg

My ES 355 is the same color has the same type of wood that has large pores in it that makes the grain, kind of grainy as it stands out much more than a smooth finish. I think it looks cool as all get out [thumbup]

beautiful guitar your friend has there

You know that the wood is supposed to be Maple, and Maple wont have those kind of pores. It looks to me like Birch wood.

Here are pictures, sadly no hi-res, of my all-maple Gibson L6S with a high-gloss finish over a silverburst stain. They show that a thin opaque coat doesn't fill the graining:

fo1t.jpg

ouxh.jpg

05qs.jpg

bd9x.jpg

That doesn't look like maple either. I make guitars, and the Eastern US Maple I use has no pores to see through the finish. They must be using a porous species of Maple I haven't seen. My Bro has returned that TV 339 and ordered the Epi ES-335 Pro instead.

That finish, not completely glass smooth is about the coolest finish available on any guitar...those porous grain marks make the pelham blue tv finish unique, and awesome looking...to each their own I suppose. The 335 will have a smooth finish..if that is what is preferred. [mellow]

What "finish" did he order ? I love my 335 pro (I love all my Epiphone's...as I stated previously...in a Platonic way). I appreciate them for what they are...simply nice guitars.

GEDC0101_zps80cd26b1.jpg

That doesn't look like maple either. I make guitars, and the Eastern US Maple I use has no pores to see through the finish. They must be using a porous species of Maple I haven't seen. My Bro has returned that TV 339 and ordered the Epi ES-335 Pro instead.

looks like standard maple plywood to me.

how long has he had it, and did he buy it from a retailer w/a 30 day (no questions asked) return policy? (finish issues of any kind are NOT warranty covered).

Yeah, he ordered the Pelham Blue, but I think he was surprised by the "TV" finish. He was expecting more of a 335 smooth finish, so that's what he returned the 339 for. That asian maple is something more like white ash in the pores dept., yet the 335 is supposedly maple also?

It could be this "Maple" Sycamore Maple

Yeah, he ordered the Pelham Blue, but I think he was surprised by the "TV" finish. He was expecting more of a 335 smooth finish, so that's what he returned the 339 for. That asian maple is something more like white ash in the pores dept., yet the 335 is supposedly maple also?

Epiphone's maple laminate is always porous. The thin TV Pelham & Silver finishes are supposed to let the grains come through for the most part. The regular gloss and satin finishes will fill the pores because they are applied thicker. This is by design, not a flaw.

Epiphone's Pelham Blue (non-TV finish) had a gloss clear coat that filled the pores. I think they came out a year or so before the TV finishes. Some might have been concurrent for part of the model year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived