Gibson Brands Forums

new controls?

Deftone

I think if you were to do this' date=' youd want 100% Gibson parts right?[/quote']

Absolutely.

The old pots are covered with solder and the wiring is a rat's nest. I don't have a lot of confidence in the quality of electronics from the '80's.

The guitar came with all black hardware and some EMG looking passive pickups. I intend to replace every part with chrome, new speed knobs and new Gibson pickups. Probably the 496R/498T combination although I might try something new.

Both my LP customs got this treatment as well: I replaced the old worn gold hardware with brand new Gibson chrome and new Gibson pickups. I cleaned and polished the paint and did a complete set up. They're like a brand new guitars. Obviously, late '80's LP lites aren't collectors items so I don't feel bad about modifying them. Additionally, I have saved all the original parts so they can be returned to original at any time.

88LPCLside.jpg

87LPCL.jpg

I have a 1968 SG Special that I have owned since new. It still has it's original pickups and electronics. I wanted to change it all back in the late 80s and was talked out of it. I am sure glad I didn't. The originals do not scratch and work perfectly. I am a firm believer in if it isn't broke don't fix it. Cosmetic changes can be corrected down the road but I am always wary of a guitar that has had the electronics messed with. Unless it is done by a certified Tech.

I have a 1968 SG Special that I have owned since new. It still has it's original pickups and electronics. I wanted to change it all back in the late 80s and was talked out of it. I am sure glad I didn't. The originals do not scratch and work perfectly. I am a firm believer in if it isn't broke don't fix it. Cosmetic changes can be corrected down the road but I am always wary of a guitar that has had the electronics messed with. Unless it is done by a certified Tech.

I hear ya, but this guitar's electronics have been tampered with already. I play my guitars and I need good tone. I update them to play and sound great. The 80's pick-ups SUCKED and general quality of the hardware was junk.

I trust myself to do any repairs more than anyone. I've taken guitars to "Certified Technician's" before and I've always been disapointed. I always end up wishing I did the job myself because I know I could have done better.

Except maybe Dan Erelwine, that guy knows his stuff and he really appreciates guitars. I'd let him work on my guitars.

There's a guy on eBay who sells Jimmy Page style harnesses - might be worth a look.

That's interesting. I might like to try something like that on one of my LP's . Unfortunately my Studio w/ the floyd only has one volume and one tone.

They made some weird ones in the late 80's

Not all the pickups were crap in the 80's. I don't know when the customs stopped shipping with the Tim Shaw pickups, but it was like 79-86or87.

the real strange thing with my custom from 84 is that the pots were very low values. 300k for the volume (ok not too strange) and 100k for the tone! When I changed these out for regular 500k pots my LP went from ok sounding to great. I know this was all stock (I keep everthing I remove too) because i'm the original owner. I also changed the caps out for Vitamin Qs (now I can actually use my tone controls for something). An additional mod was making the tone control in to a no-load tone at 10. There is a site on the internet on how to do that, and it worked great. At 10 now the pickups really shine (bright, but not too bright)

There is not much point in getting pots that say Gibson on them (they still wont look like the originals that didn't say gibson, but had the date codes), just get good CTS pots or try the RS ones.

-Eddie

Archived