Gibson Brands Forums

Help With Not One But 2 Budokans

Parasite68

Hey guys,

I'm Brian, I'm fairly new to the forum, and I previously posted about a Budokan that I purchased on eBay a few days ago. Well everything on that guitar is legit.

This morning I found another one that has the picture of Ace signed by Ace. Serial numbers check out according to Gibson/epiphone, it comes with HS budokan case, coa, plus a cool Kiss strap... Beautiful guitar.

Here is the thing... I need y'alls advice. I may not be able to keep both. The first one I bought is #554 out of 1000, it has all the inspection stickers on the back. It is truly complete with coa binder case and all. The other is #151 out of 1000 and ithe coa binder is signed by Ace, but has no inspection stickers on the back.... Original owner took them off. It does however have the budokan case, the guitar center receipt and a KiSS guitar strap... Here is what is eating at my OCD.... Does not having the original inspection stokers matter collector wise? I'm torn. I want a complete guitar, one is with a higher prod number, the other is a lower prod number with ace signature, but no inspection stickers on the rear of headstock. You make the call... What would you do?

Keep in mind that both have the serial numbers in tact and Gibson confirmed they are legal, not bootlegged!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

I have never heard of inspection stickers being a factor in a guitar's resale value.

I personally couldn't care less if a guitar is signed by an artist, but I suppose that would make it more valuable to some.

Production numbers aren't low enough to be a factor IMO. If it was below 10, maybe.

Just for the record, a legit serial number alone does not mean a legit guitar.

Ideally, I would want to know which one plays better.

Thanks guys for the replies. If the guitar itself would be signed, that would be a no brainier for sure! It's just the picture of ace in the coa binder that is signed. I've already got a Washburn Paul Stanley Model signed with past and present members of Kiss including Ace. I was present for the autographs and that guitar is going to the grave with me. I just bit again this morning for the fact that the production number was lower (151) and Ace's signature is in the coa binder which I thought was very cool. I just don't want a situation later where someone would say "gee, this guitar would be exceptional if it had all the stickers!" Lol!

I'm going to have to wait to receive them and go from there I guess... :)

Hey guys,

I'm Brian, I'm fairly new to the forum, and I previously posted about a Budokan that I purchased on eBay a few days ago. Well everything on that guitar is legit.

This morning I found another one that has the picture of Ace signed by Ace. Serial numbers check out according to Gibson/epiphone, it comes with HS budokan case, coa, plus a cool Kiss strap... Beautiful guitar.

Here is the thing... I need y'alls advice. I may not be able to keep both. The first one I bought is #554 out of 1000, it has all the inspection stickers on the back. It is truly complete with coa binder case and all. The other is #151 out of 1000 and ithe coa binder is signed by Ace, but has no inspection stickers on the back.... Original owner took them off. It does however have the budokan case, the guitar center receipt and a KiSS guitar strap... Here is what is eating at my OCD.... Does not having the original inspection stokers matter collector wise? I'm torn. I want a complete guitar, one is with a higher prod number, the other is a lower prod number with ace signature, but no inspection stickers on the rear of headstock. You make the call... What would you do?

Keep in mind that both have the serial numbers in tact and Gibson confirmed they are legal, not bootlegged!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Not meaning to be a downer but there isn't a whole lot of collectible value in eecently made Epiphone guitars in general so i don't think a couple of missing stickers is going to make much difference. I suggest picking the one you like best.

Not meaning to be a downer but there isn't a whole lot of collectible value in recently made Epiphone guitars in general so i don't think a couple of missing stickers is going to make much difference. I suggest picking the one you like best.

I have never heard of inspection stickers being a factor in a guitar's resale value.

I personally couldn't care less if a guitar is signed by an artist, but I suppose that would make it more valuable to some.

Production numbers aren't low enough to be a factor IMO. If it was below 10, maybe.

Just for the record, a legit serial number alone does not mean a legit guitar.

Ideally, I would want to know which one plays better.

I pulled off any inspection and other stickers from the finish and polished off the adhesives, too. When asking at the dealer, they told me it's normal to do so.

As for the artist's signature, I agree totally. In my opinion, it's authenticity may be questionable also, and there's no enhancement of playability and tone through it anyway.

Sadly, guitar fakers browse the web for serial numbers of certain models and colours, provided by retailers as well as forumites. I took off all of them from my signature to prevent misuse.

Finally, I also agree that among several legit guitars I would prefer the one which seems to be better to me. However, it might take restringing and setting up both what I did before returning some of my newly purchased guitars in the past.

Thanks Zep and Cap! You both have valid points. The thing with the budokan is that it was packaged for the collector in mind.Even the case has "budokan" stamped on it. I would have gotten the Gibby version if this, but I can't afford $8,000! Lol! I do agree that not much collector value is there for Epiphones nowadays, but I'm a fan of KISS and Ace.

As for both Budokans that I'm getting, neither one is signed.... They both come with small binders that hold the coa and a picture of Ace with the guitar. The coa has the serial number hand written and also has what number out of 1000 the guitar is. The guitar numbered 151 has Ace's signature on the photo of him inside the coa binder. I also have a picture of Ace signing it as proof. 151 is the one that doesn't have the inspection stickers, while 554 does have all the original stickers, even the bar code thingy at the pick guard.

My whole thing was if later on down the line this guitar is truly collectible, would it be that big of a deal to be missing those stickers for a potential buyer. With all the fakes out there, I was thinking that the stickers would be proof, but the fine people at Gibson/Epiphone say no... They go by the serial number and construction of the guitar to make sure it's legit. I was just curious to see what y'all's opinions were on the matter. I personally would rather have the stickers on the one with the signature and it's driving me niuts that it doesn't. I just wanted you guys to let me know if I'd be truly justified in keeping one without the stickers! :)

Archived