Gibson Brands Forums

1945 LG-2 on Ebay

mking

In fine condition, for sure. The only evidence of hard use/abuse just past the pick guard probably happened in a matter of seconds when the gracious owner allowed someone to "give it a whirl". Oh well. I wonder what the song was.

ScreenShot2013-12-14at63028PM_zps991cce28.png

Seller went out of his way to show that those beautiful tuners that're on it are probably the originals.

ScreenShot2013-12-14at62243PM_zps74fa736d.png

Agree re: ramping of the bridge pin holes & deep grooved saddle. Truss rod frozen, or maxed out?

ScreenShot2013-12-14at75515PM_zpsb7c14a0f.png

.. and it's unusual to see the two bass strings clear of the fretboard in a shot taken from this angle:

ScreenShot2013-12-14at80129PM_zps80793724.png

Let the bidder figure a possible neck set into the bidding.

I was talking to my luthier today about this...

I clean vintage guitar does not mean you will get a great playing or sounding guitar. Clean vintage guitars are often the product of a guitar case left beneath a bed for decades.

That said I wouldn't turn down this LG-2 if it crossed my path. :D

This thread is a great example of why buying without having held a guitar in your sweaty little hands first or not knowing what to look for can get you in deep dog doo doo. We started with a guitar in near pristine condition and by the time I popped in we have a guitar that very likely needs a neck reset and then possibly some work dealing with the ramping to get the break angle correct.

Guitar prices seem to be on the rise a bit these days. Based on what I have seen a Sitka/mahogany Banner LG-2 in really nice shape generally will fetch in the upper $2000s possibly the lower $3000s although I have not seen one sold for that kind of scratch. An original hard shell case will boost the price. I would imagine the big name vintage dealers though will ask more - sometimes a lot more. Whether they get what they are asking I do not have a clue as nobody I know buys from them. My repair guy will hit you up $300 to $350 for a neck reset.

Archived