Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Special I P90

6string

I've been eyeing these for about a week now and finally ordered one today. They're not listed on the Epi site so it might be a MF/GC/123 family of retailers exclusive. They've been out a while and the feedback on them has been very good. Here's a sample thread from the LP Forum…

LP Forum Special P90

I just snagged a "Used" model from MF for $54.60. It said there was only one available in red but after I purchased it, the link to buy another is still there. Hopefully I get lucky like so many I've read about and a NO.4 Used ends up being either cosmetic or an easy fix.

Here they are at MF…

LP Special 1 P90 at MF

There are several videos of the guitar on YouTube. Here's a pretty comprehensive review…

I dig the P90's. As far as the bolt on neck, I don't see a detractor in that. It's worked for Fender and others for years. Anyone here have one of these yet? What do you think?

post-80-028487000 1387399300_thumb.jpg

At $54, you done good. You done REAL good.

I bought an Epi LP Special I from Guitar Center last year. It's a great little guitar for a small amount of $$ -- with pretty good tone and playability although it doesn't quite measure up to my Gibson LP Junior Special (P-90) in either category. Of course, the Gibby cost a bit more than $69. . . :)

At one point in time, I owned a yellow one. $54.60 for a nice used one...great price. I traded these two in towards a Gibson LP. I might re-obtain ...soon, as they are still available (I believe) in that nice TV yellow... $54.60...nice lol

012_zpsc4044fec.jpg

I thought is was and is a great guitar. Again, not fancy, sounds wonderful, great neck, simple straight forward controls, cost effective and beautiful [thumbup] .

that definitely qualifies as a snag!

looking forward to your review on this

that youtube was certainly a good review, that guy covered all the bases, which many (most?) youtube guitar reviews don't. always surprises me how unique p90s sound depending on the guitar they're in and how it's played.

Okay, this seems a bit odd. They posted that they had one in stock and I bought one. I get an email confirming my order and they say they'll let me know when it ships. Then I get another email that says it's on backorder and they anticipate filling the order on 5/19/2014. [glare]

I really wanted one of these sooner than 5 months from now. Maybe I'll just break down and order one at the non-discounted price. The yellow ones are still out of stock but I dig the black too. Hmmm...

I have one of these in Cherry. Very nice playing and sounding guitar.

I polished mine with cutting compound and am happy with the resulting deep Cherry colour (think Gibson SG [biggrin] ). I also added a pickguard.

polished-better_zpsdd6bf729.jpg

Nad…

I found your original thread on this when I was looking up info on the guitar a couple weeks ago. You did a good job of it…looks real nice.

The UPS status has been updated to "Out for Delivery". Should be here within a few hours.

Damn. It's got a broken neck. The break starts under the fretboard at the 9th fret and runs diagonally to the back of the neck below the 13th fret. Doesn't seem very clean either…I can't just apply pressure to push the piece back in place.

On closer examination it looks like I may be able to fix this. The break is pretty clean and there's enough give that I should be able to force glue into the crack and then clamp the neck tight. After a couple days I'll remove the clamp and sand down any rough edges.

The glue job is complete, it's now curing with a couple of clamps on it. I'll give it a couple of days and then sand down any rough edges. Hopefully it holds. I was able to tune it up to pitch and play it a bit before I removed the neck. It sounds great and had no playing issues. As long as the glue holds, this should be a good player when it's all done.

The glue job is complete, it's now curing with a couple of clamps on it. I'll give it a couple of days and then sand down any rough edges. Hopefully it holds. I was able to tune it up to pitch and play it a bit before I removed the neck. It sounds great and had no playing issues. As long as the glue holds, this should be a good player when it's all done.

Good luck on that break, 6string. Let us know how it came out - hopefully it'll be good to go.

If so, you got a great deal there!!

MF has a "no return" policy on the Level 4 instruments so it's either fix it, buy a new neck, or throw it out. Being that the cheapest route is fixing it, I'll try that first. I don't expect it to come out looking like a pro repair job as I'm not going to worry about the finish, just the function. The guitar itself is brand new…still has the plastic on the pickups and no wear anywhere. Looks like it got damaged in shipping.

I'll let you know how it goes and post a few pics when it's done.

The gluing process went well last night. This morning I removed the clamps and sanded down the area and all seems sturdy. There are a few spots that splintered when it broke so those bits of wood are missing. It looks rough, but other than the chipped areas, it's a smooth transition. I put it back on the body and restrung it to pitch. It's been on there all day and I've been playing it without incident. The repair seems solid so far and you can't tell from the front since it didn't affect the fretboard. If it's still holding tight in a month or so I'll take it apart and sand down the rest of the neck and body and use some filler to patch those chips. I've got some lacquer left from my last couple of refinish projects that I could use on here. I could have the only surf green LP Special I P90 on the block. [cool]

And I was able to reuse the strings that came on it. They're actually not too bad. I just didn't want to waste a new set if the repair wasn't going to hold.

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

The gluing process went well last night. This morning I removed the clamps and sanded down the area and all seems sturdy. There are a few spots that splintered when it broke so those bits of wood are missing. It looks rough, but other than the chipped areas, it's a smooth transition. I put it back on the body and restrung it to pitch. It's been on there all day and I've been playing it without incident. The repair seems solid so far and you can't tell from the front since it didn't affect the fretboard. If it's still holding tight in a month or so I'll take it apart and sand down the rest of the neck and body and use some filler to patch those chips. I've got some lacquer left from my last couple of refinish projects that I could use on here. I could have the only surf green LP Special I P90 on the block. [cool]

And I was able to reuse the strings that came on it. They're actually not too bad. I just didn't want to waste a new set if the repair wasn't going to hold.

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

thread (and guitar) saved! [woot]

looks like nice work, what sort of clamp did you use for this repair?

Archived