Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup upgrade

Brian K. Knowles

I know things cost more in LA but i think you may have over-paid for that guitar, even if its the plus top standard and especially if you got it used. According to our friends at the unofficial epiphone wiki the pups are the Alnico Classics. I have them in my G-400 and they're 'okay' especially if you have a nice amp. There are definitely better pickups out there depending on your style.

I have a 2005 epiphone les Paul standard. Is the pickups the same as on the Gibson model. If not I would like to upgrade the pickups.

Think about what you are saying. You want to change pickups because of the name on them?

Here is a suggestion, go to the music store with your guitar and a friend who plays. Get a Gibson down off the wall and have your friend play both guitars back and forth through the same amp while you are facing the opposite way. This could be a very enlightening experience for you. If you can even hear the difference, and you pick the Gibson as the one that sounds better, go buy a set of pickups (and I suggest you buy somewhere that does not charge $849 for a $999 list guitar that should sell for $600!). If you do not pick the Gibson as sounding better, go home happy and wealthier.

I have a 2005 epiphone les Paul standard. Is the pickups the same as on the Gibson model. If not I would like to upgrade the pickups.

Forgot to mention, I paid $849.00 for it from guitar center in LA. Great guitar.

In 2006 (one year later) I got a brand new Gibson LP studio with OHSC for $1,000 even (after taxes) from a Guitar Center in the Chicago-land area. I'm guessing the MSRP was about 1,400-1,500. I'm happy you like the guitar, but you need to spend some quality research time on different guitars and prices and also haggle. I'm sure you could have gotten that guitar for $600 easy at GC. You'd have the extra $250 for pickups and then some. [biggrin]

Just my opinion, but getting the best deal is a lot less important than being happy with the guitar - and he's bought it now, anyway.

So, pick ups: I'm assuming the point is whether the guitar comes with pro quality pickups as standard, or whether an upgrade would be worthwhile. Ultimately, if you love the sound of sound of it as it is there's no need to worry about upgrades. If, as Spamonkis suggests, you compare your guitar to others with supposedly better pickups and you think the other guitar sounds better, then by all means experiment. Don't be afraid to look further afield than the Gibson pickups that come in the US version of your guitar either: there are plenty of small shop pickup winders who make breathtakingly good pickups for similar money to Gibson or Seymour Duncan.

The guitar tech at work does a lot of pickup replacements so I've heard a good number of Epi Les Pauls before and after an upgrade, and my instinct is you get what you pay for: the Epi pickups are very good for a budget product, but a high end pickup fitted to a well made lower grade guitar does make a big difference. But, tone is subjective and there's no point throwing money at the guitar if there's nothing you dislike about it in the first place, so please don't take my word for it!

It all depends what exactly pickups you already have in your LP and what Gibson you would like to buy. I've heards opinions that some Epi pickups sound very similar to some Gibsons and some people can't hear the difference. But there are Gibson pickups that do not have Epi's corresponding ones. You might also look for other pickup brands.

Archived