Gibson Brands Forums

My EMG rant....

:oilpit:

I've never really liked active pickups in electric guitars. As has already been mentioned, the guitar's make/materials don't matter, all you hear is the pickup's predetermined voice colored by whatever you're running it through effects-wise. You could slap a set of EMG's on a cheapo pawnshop guitar and it's not gonna' sound really any different through the same rig as your Zakk Wylde type setup with a LP, and that's really indiscernible from a Jackson Dinky with the same setup. Point is, throw some strings on a 2x4" and slap some actives in it (or put a neck on a brick...lol), and you most likely would never know the difference. To me you just never get the character or liveliness out of actives that you get out of a decent set of standard pickups either. You may get high-output, but lifeless high-output just sounds grating to my ears. They're fine for the soulless detuned crap most people consider "heavy" nowadays where the amps are set for maximum lows/highs, scooped mids and so much gain you can't really hear the notes anyway, but if you take (for example) a stock 2 humbucker LP/SG/V/etc and an identical model with actives and A/B them through the same amp you'll be able to tell instantly which sounds inherently better and more soulful. Plus, you guys ever see that Youtube clip where Wylde's overdrive gets switched off by accident and all you hear is "click-click-click-t-t-t-t-click"? I will admit I like some of his work with Ozzy (although please, how many harmonic squeals are REALLY necessary in a single song, man???), but overall I'm pretty convinced that unlike Randy (or even Jake), he can't plug a stock passive guitar into his rig and be able to pull off as "impressive" a presence without the ultra-gain and uber-hot pickups. It's cheatin', man. Plus, his "tone" really isn't all that toneful...definitely ain't as toneful as Randy's (and even some of his stuff was too chorus-y for my tastes). Heavier, more distorted, yes...tastier? No. =D>

On BASS, however (i.e. EB/MM Stingrays) actives can be really awesome in enhancing and shaping the sound constructively & aesthetically. Same with acoustics. I actually can't stand most passive acoustic pickups (aside from my trusty Danelectro Convertible..which "technically" isn't an acoustic pickup after all...lol), and even most active piezo pickups don't quite cut it when compared to miking. But I've heard some that have good, warm onboard preamps and can acheive deeper, more natural sounds, and they're pretty cool.

No, I'll stick to my AlNiCo's. :)

H-Bomb

I played many different guitars set up with active pickups before settling on the 81/85 set, and I can tell you for a fact, that the guitar itself IS NOT taken out of the equation, as far as tone.

You could put a great set of actives in a 60s Tiesco, and it would still sound and play like crap.

Any pickups color the tone of any guitar, but actives give you a greater range of control of the tone, and without coloring the tone so much that it overshadows the tone imparted by the guitar itself.

Any of you that have switched passive pickups from one guitar to another can testify to the fact, that you basically swapped the tone in the two guitars, correct? Otherwise, why change the pickups at all? So what you all are saying the active pickups do, you are doing with passives, but you justify the change in tone as being caused by the guitar itself.

Amazing.

wylde_zakk_2000.gif

Out front...

The Rotovibe alone has more swoosh than I'll ever need.

On the rack I'll have to dig a bit or make a call or two...

I think your missing my point.

With Zakko's rig you wouldn't know the difference if he was using passive or active pickups.

With all the pinchy's and woodly woos.

You think that's a lot of stuff?

A wah

A vibe

An overdrive

A chorus

Four pedals and a couple amps.

Do you really think he uses all of those at once or, if so, all the time? I have 4 pedals in my setup (treble booster, vibe, flanger, overdrive/boost) and, I assure you, I have never used them all at once except to annoy the rest of the guys in my band.

As for the Rotovibe having more swoosh than you'll ever need... c'mon, man, just because it's not your kind of effect doesn't make it bad nor does it mean that he has the thing on all the time.

The vibe efx I can handle. It's the damn chorus pedal that ruins his sound for me. Turn it off! (or at least down) Chorus is for clean in my book. I never use it for dirty. It only ruins a good, chunky distortion sound.

Archived