Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 498t pickup

nitro

my only compare point is a SD JB that I put inthe 02 standard I have to the stock 498t in my 95 standard

Have to say I like what both of them do..

The JB is very much more the aggressor here, but the 498t imho, is a quite a fine pup by all means..

To be honest I'm very much liking the 498T as a bridge pickup for blues.

My favorite combination that I've found so far is the 490R/498T in a Les Paul. I absolutely love the 490R in a neck position the best so far, in my personal experience the 490T seems to ever so slightly lack the punch in a bridge position and the 498T fills the position perfectly.

I adorned my poor-man's ES335; my Peavey JF-1EX with a set of open-bobbin 490's and man-o-man if she didn't respond with some awesome Gibson honk now, but lacks a little fire on the treble/bridge-pickup position, which is fine for that guitar, it's not what it's for to me... The middle position utilizing both pickups is sweet as molasses now and that's what I did it for. The 490R also does a fantastic job holding down neck-only position duties and gives me some of that darker bolder tone I like...

While I don't have experience with the other makes of pickups, I will state that, so far, the 498T is my favorite bridge position pickup!

Archived