Gibson Brands Forums

followup: the J-100 is staying with me

kebob

follow up to a post from a week ago regarding the damaged J-100 bubinga b/s. The local shop repaired the loose binding and cracks from a drop. I took her home to try her out and she isn't going back. Trading in my Martin 000-15m plus some cash to keep her. Figure the 000-15m are common enough to find again if I want to down the road. This J-100 feels great in my hands -- projects more bass than my J-200. Need to put in a new saddle to raise up the high E a little. Bubinga is a wood I've not had experience with until now -- very pleased with its sound.

follow up to a post from a week ago regarding the damaged J-100 bubinga b/s. The local shop repaired the loose binding and cracks from a drop. I took her home to try her out and she isn't going back. Trading in my Martin 000-15m plus some cash to keep her. Figure the 000-15m are common enough to find again if I want to down the road. This J-100 feels great in my hands -- projects more bass than my J-200. Need to put in a new saddle to raise up the high E a little. Bubinga is a wood I've not had experience with until now -- very pleased with its sound.

I agree with yours' and other folks' assessment of bubinga in the big 'fertility goddess' 17" jumbo: these can be spectacular!

I used to have a maple J-100, but the J-200 I had at the time just sounded better, so I've kept that one, but sold the other. (I think the J-100 travelled to Illinois, then Alaska and now lives in Kalamazoo.)

The J-100 in Bubinga is a winner, based on the examples I've tried.

Plus, it's just fun to say "bubinga".

Fred

Hi, I am looking at a Gibson J200 to purchase and it is my first accoustic. It is sunburst and used but I do not yet have the serial number it is in very good condition the usual minor stuff from use but no visual damage and sounds good. Can you give me a ball park of how much I should expect to pay for this? I have no other info on it yet but I am going to meet up with the guy and check it out. Is there anything I should be looking for? I appreciate any info you could provide. Unfortunately I know this is as clear as mud. But it is all I have so far. Thanks. [confused]

Hi, I am looking at a Gibson J200 to purchase and it is my first accoustic. It is sunburst and used but I do not yet have the serial number it is in very good condition the usual minor stuff from use but no visual damage and sounds good. Can you give me a ball park of how much I should expect to pay for this? I have no other info on it yet but I am going to meet up with the guy and check it out. Is there anything I should be looking for? I appreciate any info you could provide. Unfortunately I know this is as clear as mud. But it is all I have so far. Thanks. [confused]

Not all J-200s were created equally..... [unsure] ...so it's quite relevant to determine what year it is.

I'm assuming the one you're looking at is "recent", i.e., post 1970.

Earlier than that and you're in 'expensive territory', pre-1960 even moreso, and so on. 1970s and 1980-1988 ones are more likely to be least desired and therefore could/should be less expensive; post 1988 are Bozeman-made and more likely to be "worthy" (although not all are tho').

Hard to estimate a price without more info.

Fred

I don't know from Bubinga, but I've long been of the opinion that mahogany should be the standard for super jumbos, maple, and especially rosewood should be options that are readily available. And this comes from someone for whom an SJ-200 was #1 for decades. They just sound better in warmer woods.

P

I don't know from Bubinga, but I've long been of the opinion that mahogany should be the standard for super jumbos, maple, and especially rosewood should be options that are readily available. And this comes from someone for whom an SJ-200 was #1 for decades. They just sound better in warmer woods.

P

I'd love to try out a hog J-100 or 200. I have no doubt that would be a killer combination.

P

My 94 J-100 Xtra in Mahogany, is a wonderful warm and rich sounding guitar, with real depth to the tone, but I have to say the best J-100 I`ve ever played was an 07 Bubinga backed guitar, that I so wished I had bought!

Steve.

You should move to Ireland . that looks like the back of a lot of girls heads over here

Sure! Okay maybe not.

The picture doesn't really do the guitar justice though. The back and sides really pop under the right light.

One of these days, Doug, I'm gonna come to Ottawa and smudge up that guitar!! [biggrin]

Fred

Trust me it gets smudged up twice a week! I'm not much of guitar polisher.

Thanks Fred for the info on that j200. Ididn't ask the guy for the serial # because the price seems kind of cheap and I didn't want him to reconsider. But now I have an idea of what to look for. Thanks much. If I buy I will post the pics. Have a great day!

Scott [thumbup]

Well That Gibson j200 was a re-make by Ibanez not worth the time to look at it! Thanks for the info though it came in handy. Looking for an accoustic and came across a Kramer-Gibson. It is new and from China. I didn't even know Gibson Owned Kramer. Or had anything to do with them. Is this another Epiphone situation? And is this for real? I will try to get the pics for you. Also can you tell me if it is worth buying? Thanks.

Scott [unsure]

BTW The Bubinga is beautiful!

Ok I think these pics will show up. it's a Kramer with a Gibson plater on the neck adjuster (like the epiphone Les Paul. pics for the body top and headstock are here I have pic of neck and side as well but unless you need them they are just extra space. Thanks for taking the time to look at this I really appreciate it. A Bubinga is out of my budget presently.

Scott

Kramer K400.docI just knew that was too easy, I'll try it again!

K400 (GIBSON BRAND)

Place of Origin

Guangdong, China (Mainland)

Brand Name:Kramer

Model Number: K400

Rosewood fretboard, AAA spruce top, sides and back AAA mahogany, Neck: AAA mahogany, Fingerboard Inlay:ABS, top, side and back center bindings, headstock binding as well, truss rod double adjust,nut and bridge bone. (I hope this is not too much info I'm a rookie at this!) [biggrin]

Archived