Gibson Brands Forums

New Nut For 2013 Les Paul Standard

Bballistick

I would only replace the nut or have it replaced in case there's a need for that, e. g. if string spacings were inconsistent, if buzz of open strings or lack of tuning stability occurred and can't be fixed by reworking the nut.

For statistical matters, fourteen of my sixteen Gibsons still have the nut that came stock, two of them needed a warranty replacement when brand-new. I decided to go with bone there although it looks pretty discoloured. They performed a PLEK cut like Gibson does, too.

On all of my other guitars and basses the nuts still are the stock ones, and rework was required on some Fenders.

Why do you want to change the nut?

Two reasons: 1) the high E is a little too close to the edge and I have a tendency to flip it over at times. It seems like it was cut too close to the edge when comparing it to my other guitars. 2) I've read and heard that you can get better harmonics and sustain with a bone or Tusq nut. It's just something I'm considering. That's why ai thought I'd consult some of the experts here. Thanks for the response.

Two reasons: 1) the high E is a little too close to the edge and I have a tendency to flip it over at times. It seems like it was cut too close to the edge when comparing it to my other guitars. 2) I've read and heard that you can get better harmonics and sustain with a bone or Tusq nut. It's just something I'm considering. That's why ai thought I'd consult some of the experts here. Thanks for the response.

For your reason # 1 I once returned a soundwise fantastic Les Paul 2012 Standard. The nut was cut correctly but due to the wide binding and the decreasing radius at the fretwire-nib transition the E1st tended to buzz, and unavoidably flipped from from the board when fingered at the 2nd and 3rd fret already when hit by a mezzoforte downstroke.

On my 2011 L6S Silverburst the nut was broken stock around the D4th, and my SG Supra came stock with rather inconsistent string spacings, a catastrophe for me due to my wide fingers.

If you are having problems playing the guitar because of the nut,..then change it,...as for better harmonics,sustain, or whatever....then changing the nut will probably make no difference whatsoever (this can be a very touchy subject with some players).

It usually follows the fashion of the day...use this man!...sings like a bird etc,.....brass was the in thing years ago,i've had nuts made from EVERYTHING,wood,metal,bone etc....and other than some difference when an open string is played,when fretted no difference.Somebody will come along and tell you it makes a huge difference,so be it,if they hear,OR perceive to hear a difference then fine ,i won't argue or doubt that.................but for me..........none.

Hell hath no fury like a NUT nut.

(removing the TRC,now that's a different matter:) )

If you are having problems playing the guitar because of the nut,..then change it,...as for better harmonics,sustain, or whatever....then changing the nut will probably make no difference whatsoever (this can be a very touchy subject with some players).

It usually follows the fashion of the day...use this man!...sings like a bird etc,.....brass was the in thing years ago,i've had nuts made from EVERYTHING,wood,metal,bone etc....and other than some difference when an open string is played,when fretted no difference.Somebody will come along and tell you it makes a huge difference,so be it,if they hear,OR perceive to hear a difference then fine ,i won't argue or doubt that.................but for me..........none.

Hell hath no fury like a NUT nut.

(removing the TRC,now that's a different matter:) )

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Forgive my ignorance, but what's a TRC? Thanks!

1) the high E is a little too close to the edge and I have a tendency to flip it over at times. It seems like it was cut too close to the edge when comparing it to my other guitars.

Same problem on my 2012 Traditional. I compared it to other Gibsons and it was just a QC issue on mine. I had a new nut installed which solved the problem.

I assume the high E is too close on the lower frets and not on the upper frets, thus the desire to replace the nut. One of my pet peeves on set neck guitars is when the bridge is located such that the high E is too close to the fretboard edge on the upper frets, which would require re-slotting saddles to correct.

As for stock Gibson vs. bone vs. Tusq, it's pretty subjective. I don't notice much difference, and wouldn't change one out just for tone unless it was a cheap plastic nut like on a Squier, etc.

IMO - the Gibson nuts are too inconsistent. I have a 2001 LP where the strings would bind some, and break too often. On the recommendation of a luthier, I had a bone nut installed, and it was absolutely the best decision I ever made. I did this back in 2002ish? And ever since that it's stayed in tune no matter the conditions, and the tone is automatically better because it's in tune.

I got a 2012 LP Trad Pro and had that one changed out within a couple months and had the same results. If you're in doubt, then get it done and you don't have to look back. I think it cost me 80-100?

Chris

Same problem on my 2012 Traditional. I compared it to other Gibsons and it was just a QC issue on mine. I had a new nut installed which solved the problem.

I assume the high E is too close on the lower frets and not on the upper frets, thus the desire to replace the nut. One of my pet peeves on set neck guitars is when the bridge is located such that the high E is too close to the fretboard edge on the upper frets, which would require re-slotting saddles to correct.

As for stock Gibson vs. bone vs. Tusq, it's pretty subjective. I don't notice much difference, and wouldn't change one out just for tone unless it was a cheap plastic nut like on a Squier, etc.

That's exactly my problem. I'm leaning towards doing it or having it done for me. Has anyone here ever have any difficulty installing a new nut? I've looked at the instruction videos and it doesn't look too difficult.

IMO - the Gibson nuts are too inconsistent. I have a 2001 LP where the strings would bind some, and break too often. On the recommendation of a luthier, I had a bone nut installed, and it was absolutely the best decision I ever made. I did this back in 2002ish? And ever since that it's stayed in tune no matter the conditions, and the tone is automatically better because it's in tune.

I got a 2012 LP Trad Pro and had that one changed out within a couple months and had the same results. If you're in doubt, then get it done and you don't have to look back. I think it cost me 80-100?

Chris

Thanks for the advice.

That's exactly my problem. I'm leaning towards doing it or having it done for me. Has anyone here ever have any difficulty installing a new nut? I've looked at the instruction videos and it doesn't look too difficult.

As long as you are considering the possibility of doing the job yourself,

know that there are three methods for checking nut slot height.

Here is a post you may (or may not) find useful: (follow included links for more details)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4615540-post22.html

Keep us posted,

Willy

I admit I didn't read the majority of this thread but unless the nut broke you don't really need another one. just make sure that the strings aren't getting snagged at the nut.

remember the nut only affects the tone of open strings anyway.

If you feel the playability is off then the heights must be off.

Gibson used Corian nuts for a long time. They're great. I think they just switched to Tusq. Tusq is great too.

Bone nuts are old fashioned. They're inconsistent, and you'll never know if you have a dud unless you're an experienced luthier yourself.

A good luthier will fix your nut, not replace it.

Gibson uses synthetic nuts because they think they're the best.

Archived