Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird with Graphic UNDER the Pickguard

bluemoonofky

Hello - new to the Forum

I just bought a 2013 HB that has the Hummingbird Graphic UNDER the pickguard so it won't rub off

Does anybody else own one and what to do you think?

My first thought when I got the guitar was FINALLY!!!

I love the guitar, it sounds great and now the benefit of the Hummingbird Graphic will not wear off.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :)

I think this was discussed not so long ago and the camp was divided. I personally like the engraved and painted pickguard that can wear off. My playing style wouldn't/shouldn't wear too much off a pickguard so it's maybe less of a concern for me than for others. In saying that, I wouldn't say no to a Hummingbird because it had the more modern pickguard.

Hairy Dave has it - this is a classic topic on these pages.

The ones with ingraved, not embedded wildlife-motif nowadays, would be the True Vintage models.

Meaning the line of Birds that try to get close to the first wave from the early 60's.

However I played a 1964'er the other day with original embedded yellow flora-fauna.

Enjoy your new guitar - and post some pictures ,-)

I tried to search the forum before I posted and couldn't find anything.

Probably didn't use the right key words as not much returned.

Anyway, I have owned a HB with both types of guards and I think I like the new one better.

Some people may feel like its not traditional, and I can understand that perspective.

I also changed the tuners to the lighter Klusons. Just like the look better on a Bird.

Great Guitars!

post-63357-039239200 1392396917_thumb.jpg

post-63357-002272300 1392396930_thumb.jpg

post-63357-053661800 1392396942_thumb.jpg

post-63357-094601600 1392397018_thumb.jpg

Gibson did the same pickguard thing with the newer J200's also. Engraving underneath the guard so it can't wear off. But I just bought a "Classic Dove" about 3 months ago that still has the painted on decorations, except for the faux ivory inlaided doves.

Bluemoon, were the Klusons a drop in fit for the original Grovers? I know another hole needed to be drilled, but other than that, were the bushings, etc. the same?

I have both as well, a newer and a traditional. I have to go with the older ones. There's just something about them that makes the guitar for me. I love the idea of the design not coming off but in my opinion the original is still the best. Enjoy the guitar, they are beautiful. [thumbup]

Yes, the Klusons were a simple drop in, but I did need to add another hole for the top screw.

The bushings were all the same as the Grovers. I replaced the Grovers with the Gibson branded Klusons

Depending on how hard they tightened down the original Grovers, you might get a small half moon imprint under the bottom screw

Luckily, I didn't get the imprint this time so it looks really good. Sometimes if you get one, it's really not that noticeable.

Also, I have buffed them out with a little rubbing compound if not too deep in the finish - take it slow.

Set the Klusons in there and just check everything out before you start drilling.

I don't have anything against the Grover tuners I just like a lighter tuner on my acoustics.

Good Luck!

Hello - new to the Forum

I just bought a 2013 HB that has the Hummingbird Graphic UNDER the pickguard so it won't rub off

Does anybody else own one and what to do you think?

My first thought when I got the guitar was FINALLY!!!

I love the guitar, it sounds great and now the benefit of the Hummingbird Graphic will not wear off.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gibson Forum, BMoKY. I'm on the northern edge of the state. I have a Hummingbird with such guard . I like it just fine as I've worn the design away completly on both another Bird and a J-150 I own . Glad you are happy with your guitar and the change you made to the Klusons is a compliment to the instrument, imo.

Steve

, , , but it has grooves so it can also repainted easily.

I have done some 'thin brush to plast-grooves' that worked pretty okay, but there are places where it would be too difficult - for me anyway.

Here's a glimpse of the authorized procedure - BirdGuards-1.jpg

Archived