Gibson Brands Forums

tired of gibson discontinuing all of these sg models

SGman94

Why does Gibson keep discontinuing their SG's? It bugs me so much. They keep discontinuing them to make way for some stupid new robot guitar or yet ANOTHER les paul. Some that come to mind are the SG Goddess, SG menace, SG-3 and most recently the SG Classic w/ P90's. I mean COME ON the classic was one of Gibson's biggest selling guitars since its unveiling in the late 90's/early 00's. Why doesn't gibson get off their asses and give the SG a little bit of limelight.

So they can sell the Custom Shop P90s model at 4 times the price.

i know the have a VOS SG with P90s and it is the same thing as the classic but it is ugly as hell. The Classic had class but the custom shop is a big steaming pile for 4 times the cash

My guess is because of the worldwide crisis. Because the dollar has been crashing down in value, maybe Gibson would lose more money by creating them than receiving money by selling that much models. Or something like that.

Don't know for sure.

My guess is because of the worldwide crisis. Because the dollar has been crashing down in value' date=' maybe Gibson would lose more money by creating them than receiving money by selling that much models. Or something like that.

Don't know for sure.[/quote']

Thats possible but if that was true i would think they discontinue some of their really higher end models, but the goddess was $899, the menace and classic were $999 and the SG-3 was as much as the SG standard $1649 and those prices are relatively cheap for gibsons

i know the have a VOS SG with P90s and it is the same thing as the classic but it is ugly as hell. The Classic had class but the custom shop is a big steaming pile for 4 times the cash

I agree. It'd be different if they made the Custom/Historic crap RIGHT. And I'm not talking about vintage/NOS guts or a millimeter's difference in headstock angle or any of that nonsense. I'm talking about some very OBVIOUS cosmetic discrepancies/mistakes they make on them, as well as the shiznitty finish work. Proper body shaping/contouring/beveling and good finishes, and well, they MIGHT be worth what they ask for them. As-is? Not so much. Better off finding a vintage or used one and having a luthier do it up right for you. Which is what I'm going to do for my next SG purchase if they don't revamp the Historics properly, and soon. All that money in advertising and fancya$$ed new webpages needs to go to R&D and customer satisfaction.

To be honest, I wouldn't care if they discontinued staples such as the '61 Reissue PROVIDED they started making the Historic ones with the right horn shapes/bevels/tapers and with "as new" (NOT "VOS" aka POS..."as new" WOULD be "VINTAGE ORIGINAL SPEC", as would be the PROPER body shaping!!!) original 60's style CHERRY finishes.

I'm a little surprised we still have the "Faded" series guitars around, as cheap as they are. And considering that the only REAL difference between them and the high-end crap is in the finish, it kinda' makes you wonder "just how much" it costs to make the "nicer" ones, doesn't it?

H-Bomb

Aren't the Faded SGs discontinued now? They're under the Discontinued list on everythingsg.com. Or are they just being sold as part of the regular Special line now without "Faded" tacked onto the name?

some of the finishes were discontinued a few years ago but the worn cherry and worn brown finishes are still available...in my opinion they are junk...they are ugly and have very low end specs, they should have been discontinued. they should have kept AT LEAST one of the models i mentioned earlier in production, i tried them all and they were pure bliss, i tried the faded and it was sh!t

Aren't the Faded SGs discontinued now? They're under the Discontinued list on everythingsg.com. Or are they just being sold as part of the regular Special line now without "Faded" tacked onto the name?

The SG-3 is discontinued for a couple of months as well, but on everythingSG.com, it's still not in the list of discontinued models.

i hope they do bring the classic back into production but i have a feeling it'll be called the "sg traditional"

and hopefully it'll either have the proper sg neck or it'll have that asymetrical neck.

if we're lucky it'll be plecked and so on.

it doesnt quite matter to me what the name as long as it has the p90 crunch,the sweet heritage cherry finish with the large pickguard then it would be like the classic never left our hearts...although it would be nice to have the classic logo engraved to look at and possibly flash around

does anyone have any idea if Gibson is going to unveil any new SG models for 2009?

Well they ALWAYS seem to debut SOMETHING...the question is are they gonna' be new novelty guitars or decent stuff. I've said it before and I'll say it infinitely, I don't mind if they do some crazy toys now and again, I'd just love for them to take more pride in the reissue stuff and make it more authentic. Focus on some really hardcore, genuine and for God's sake ACCURATE Standard and Custom reissues from the golden years, and have your market staples like the Standard and Special (with a mix of old and new features...but who else would love to see them toss the one-piece bridge from the Goddess onto the Special along with an option for P-90's...that would make up for the loss of the Classic), and a few new fangled gadgets for the kiddies.

H-Bomb

Well they ALWAYS seem to debut SOMETHING...the question is are they gonna' be new novelty guitars or decent stuff. I've said it before and I'll say it infinitely' date=' I don't mind if they do some crazy toys now and again, I'd just love for them to take more pride in the reissue stuff and make it more authentic. Focus on some really hardcore, genuine and for God's sake ACCURATE Standard and Custom reissues from the golden years, and have your market staples like the Standard and Special (with a mix of old and new features...but who else would love to see them toss the one-piece bridge from the Goddess onto the Special along with an option for P-90's...that would make up for the loss of the Classic), and a few new fangled gadgets for the kiddies.

H-Bomb[/quote']

So it all comes down to this?:

Less Holy V's, more SG's!

I hope they debut some kind of sg with EMGs in it...just got the epiphone prophecy sg with the 81/85 set about a month ago and it has served me flawlessly so far. I play alot of metal and an SG with emgs would make me the happiest guitarist on the planet...as long as it has a nice finish too...none of that "faded" crap

I hope they debut some kind of sg with EMGs in it...just got the epiphone prophecy sg with the 81/85 set about a month ago and it has served me flawlessly so far. I play alot of metal and an SG with emgs would make me the happiest guitarist on the planet...as long as it has a nice finish too...none of that "faded" crap

You missed the boat' date=' they already did. It was one of the Guitar of the Week models last year.

I think the GOTW and Guitar of the Month programs are good ideas to test new ideas and sample their success without too much investment on Gibson's part. But IMO, the key is to take those that are sucessful and introduce them into the regular offering.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/tattooedcarrot/Centre%20City%20Music/Older%20Stock/IMG_6750.jpg[/img]

You missed the boat' date=' they already did. It was one of the Guitar of the Week models last year.

I think the GOTW and Guitar of the Month programs are good ideas to test new ideas and sample their success without too much investment on Gibson's part. But IMO, the key is to take those that are sucessful and introduce them into the regular offering.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/tattooedcarrot/Centre%20City%20Music/Older%20Stock/IMG_6750.jpg[/img]

They sell one in a music store around here, and I played it once. Thé perfect Gibson to play metal with.

[/quote']

yea i knew about it but i was short on spending cash when it came out and i could kick myself for not buying it anyway.

But thats what i meant. For them to debut a fully distributed SG with EMGs and a beautiful finish. Maybe they could rerelease the SG '62 RI Showcase...but as a full model not a special edition THAT WOULD BE SWEET!

You missed the boat in 88 =P~

a.jpg

You know yoy want it!

My guess is because of the worldwide crisis. Because the dollar has been crashing down in value' date=' maybe Gibson would lose more money by creating them than receiving money by selling that much models. Or something like that.

Don't know for sure.[/quote']

I hope your right.

Archived