Gibson Brands Forums

multiple guitars . what's it all about

blindboygrunt

Beautiful!

That leather work reminds me of 2 things:

One: Saw this stuff in a guitar mag: nice bag but no acoustic option yet, but I would use the slide holder, maybe a bit dorky but better than losing the slide....

http://www.anthology...uitar-case.html

Two:

Saw the Teutuls go to a leather worker to get a copy of that kind of saddle bag and...

Bring back the Teutuls and OCC - there has been a very large hole in my TV viewing experience since they quit!

BluesKing777.

Check this place out.

http://probagg.com/

I had them make one for my Tele and it's great

They also make them for acoustic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great look'n cases and for the work, about the price I'd expect.

Sorry for the hijack BBG. Must be A.D.D. sneaking up on me as I get older. :rolleyes: It's hard to keep focused when I think of Bikes & Guitars, or Telescopes, or bike trips or ....

Aster

Great look'n cases and for the work, about the price I'd expect.

Sorry for the hijack BBG. Must be A.D.D. sneaking up on me as I get older. :rolleyes: It's hard to keep focused when I think of Bikes & Guitars, or Telescopes, or bike trips or ....

Aster

Not at all not at all.

Keeps things interesting :)

I have one Gibson . I'm lucky enough to have a second guitar , but thats partially down to the fact that it didnt sell when I got the J45.

More than I need. Happy man . blah blah

To those that have 3,4 ,5 and more... Is it a case of wanting more sound scope ?

If I hear a song that inspires me to learn it , then I'm forced to grab my guitar (which I adore the sound of) and learn it.

Do you guys hear a song and , if its neil young song , grab the martin? Etc etc....

Do you acquire guitars to have more hope of replicating the particular sound you hear ?

Or do you just like a big rack of guitars ?

No judging here I promise , just wondering. If i won the lottery I'm not sure ,even then , I'd have 15 acoustics.

I have ten guitars, down from a high of 32. I have been doing this my entire adult life. My primary interest is in playing guitar and I do find different instruments inspiring in different ways when it comes to writing songs or performing, but ultimately I think guitar collecting is sort of like hoarding, but for the wealthy.

I have at least three guitars I could entirely live without. I would sell them if I could get a reasonable return on them, but people want to pay pretty low prices for a used guitar these days, so it is unattractive to sell.

I like the part of your question where you ask would I reach for a Martin to play a Neil Young song. I suppose if I had the same model and year he plays I might, but his Martin (D-45?) has a very unique tonality of being very heavy on the bass - and I wouldn't normally buy a guitar like that even though I like Neil Young. However, I would buy a Maton if I were learning Tommy Emmanuel tunes because the Australian tone woods do have a very different vibe from the woods we use in this part of the world.

When I buy a guitar (recently bought a second Collings) it is not because I necessarily need another guitar. I play them in the shop, and if I feel I have found one that is particularly good I might make the purchase. Gibsons, for example, tend to be hit and miss, but there are rare ones that really stand out in a crowd. I keep playing Gibson Blues King guitars when they come in to my dealers here in Ottawa, and when I find one I like, I will probably purchase it. Still, I have a Collings C10 that most people would argue is a similar guitar but perhaps of much higher quality. So, do I need the Blues King? No, but I would still like to have one.

Ultimately, I believe guitar collecting - like any collecting - is driven by a desire to control or perhaps to display wealth. I have a guitar room, all properly climate controlled and the guitars are often displayed on the wall hangers. Nobody visits, so I can't say I am showing off, but I think it comforts me to have something to show for those hard days at work.

The only time I find guitar collecting negative is when people buy up expensive and rare guitars and never play them. It loses all sanity when guitars are in a museum. I have a premium guitar shop where I live that sells Taylor, Gibson Custom SHop, Fender Custom Shop and Collings (the full line of Collings not just a few). I often see people in that shop who have plenty of cash but can't play very well at all. When I see rare woods like ebony leaving a shop into the hands of a real novice, I only hope they will be inspired to learn beyond the first position if they are going to have a guitar like that.

Intriguing question. I enjoyed answering it. Thanks.

I have ten guitars, down from a high of 32. I have been doing this my entire adult life. My primary interest is in playing guitar and I do find different instruments inspiring in different ways when it comes to writing songs or performing, but ultimately I think guitar collecting is sort of like hoarding, but for the wealthy.

I have at least three guitars I could entirely live without. I would sell them if I could get a reasonable return on them, but people want to pay pretty low prices for a used guitar these days, so it is unattractive to sell.

I like the part of your question where you ask would I reach for a Martin to play a Neil Young song. I suppose if I had the same model and year he plays I might, but his Martin (D-45?) has a very unique tonality of being very heavy on the bass - and I wouldn't normally buy a guitar like that even though I like Neil Young. However, I would buy a Maton if I were learning Tommy Emmanuel tunes because the Australian tone woods do have a very different vibe from the woods we use in this part of the world.

When I buy a guitar (recently bought a second Collings) it is not because I necessarily need another guitar. I play them in the shop, and if I feel I have found one that is particularly good I might make the purchase. Gibsons, for example, tend to be hit and miss, but there are rare ones that really stand out in a crowd. I keep playing Gibson Blues King guitars when they come in to my dealers here in Ottawa, and when I find one I like, I will probably purchase it. Still, I have a Collings C10 that most people would argue is a similar guitar but perhaps of much higher quality. So, do I need the Blues King? No, but I would still like to have one.

Ultimately, I believe guitar collecting - like any collecting - is driven by a desire to control or perhaps to display wealth. I have a guitar room, all properly climate controlled and the guitars are often displayed on the wall hangers. Nobody visits, so I can't say I am showing off, but I think it comforts me to have something to show for those hard days at work.

The only time I find guitar collecting negative is when people buy up expensive and rare guitars and never play them. It loses all sanity when guitars are in a museum. I have a premium guitar shop where I live that sells Taylor, Gibson Custom SHop, Fender Custom Shop and Collings (the full line of Collings not just a few). I often see people in that shop who have plenty of cash but can't play very well at all. When I see rare woods like ebony leaving a shop into the hands of a real novice, I only hope they will be inspired to learn beyond the first position if they are going to have a guitar like that.

Intriguing question. I enjoyed answering it. Thanks.

Cheers ball corner, very honest answer.

You got the point about needing/wanting different models for different styles.

Have read comments on here about playing neil young on a gibson .. Comedic comments of course , but theres something in it.

I can totally understand someone wanting to replicate a song , so I dont want anyone thinking I'm siding one way or t'other.

That depends on how you look at. We operate on a strange item-for-item equivalency in our marriage. I get a new guitar (say, $3k), she gets a new kitchen (say, $50k).

Believe it or not, it works, after a fashion.

Had a good laugh here, because I have the same experience where it is almost like competitive spending. I will buy a guitar for $4000 and my wife will spend $10000 in the following month on stuff like boots and furniture. I just try to be thankful that we can afford the guitar and the boots. The furniture, . . . well, that was a bit pricey for my liking, but it will be paid out in a year.

Archived