Gibson Brands Forums

multiple guitars . what's it all about

blindboygrunt

I have one Gibson . I'm lucky enough to have a second guitar , but thats partially down to the fact that it didnt sell when I got the J45.

More than I need. Happy man . blah blah

To those that have 3,4 ,5 and more... Is it a case of wanting more sound scope ?

If I hear a song that inspires me to learn it , then I'm forced to grab my guitar (which I adore the sound of) and learn it.

Do you guys hear a song and , if its neil young song , grab the martin? Etc etc....

Do you acquire guitars to have more hope of replicating the particular sound you hear ?

Or do you just like a big rack of guitars ?

No judging here I promise , just wondering. If i won the lottery I'm not sure ,even then , I'd have 15 acoustics.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one point I owned 12 acoustics, not counting my sons'. I now own three. Was two until a few weeks ago.

It's about wanting a rack of guitars (for me). If I could I would have a an LG2, an old J50, a Martin D18A, a Gibson Jackson Browne, A Martin CEO-7...

Variety is fun. I can definitely say that picking up one of my guitars would bring out a certain kind of song or inspiration, and on a different day a different guitar would also do the same.

I have been getting simpler over the last two years, and I like that too. There is something to bonding with one or two guitars. But I can not rule out that once I am through with my kids' insane college costs, and things look brighter, that I won't have a room of ten acoustics. :)

From 1966 until 1991 I had one guitar. In 1991 I bought a Marin HD28 and never played the other one. In 2003 I bought a D18 GE. Then I never played the 28 or the Guild. Then in 2011 a friend sold me his vintage J55 Gibson and all hell broke loose. Can't explain it other than now I'm retired and have too much time on my hands and a little bit of disposable income. There is something about picking up a guitar you haven't played in a while. I just got my old D18 out for a while. Like having it new all over again.

Rich

Haven't you ever been in a shop where they had lots of nice guitars and you went from one to the next, trying different tunes and techniques on each one while enjoying the different textures, tone character, feel, ergonomics, etc each instrument supplied? I've spent many a happy hour with my own guitars in just such a way. Sure you can get away with a Swiss Army knife of a guitar like a J-45 or the D-18 I played for decades. But it's fun to have more specialized tools at your disposal. Different woods, different sizes and shapes, 12 and 14 fret, long and short scale, flat and curvy fretboards, etc

Well actually I've done both. I believe in redundancy, so for decades I had my "good" guitar (first J45 and then traded for the AJ) and a backup (Norlin era J45) for when guest came over w/o a guitar or when mine was in the shop.

Then I retired and decided upon instruments as a hobby. Started by reading and playing some. Started off by looking for a dread Martin but couldn't find any that I thought were playable for me or had opened up. Played a few I liked belonging to mates but they were not for sale. So, being a Gibson man since 1977, my search was not limited to Martins and I found several Gibbies I liked and some I loved. Bought all I liked then sold and traded around until I now have 3 lifetime keeper Gibsons (and could stand some more if I find them). Finally found that just right Martin dread (D-35) that has now become a lifetimer in my house.

Along the way I've aquired a cigar box guitar, one mex fender, one cheap-o acoustic bass, 5 dulcimers (4 for Ms. JDD and 1 for me) 1 concert uke, 2 baratone uks, 2 psalteries, and various amps and stands and paraphnalia.

I'm open to more wonderful Gibsons and have decided to order a custom 000 size Martin.

So here is my answer to the question: When one is chasing a career and rasining a family then minimum (to my mind 2) guitars is the way to go albeit one should be first class simply for the joy of owning and playing a first class instrument. When a person has plenty of time (as in retirement) and reasonable resources (in my case an unencumbered SS check) insrument collecting is a great addition to the music making hobby. It also helps to have a Ms. who actually believes that one can never have too many guitars (or dulicmers as it has developed). Part of the fun is in the process.

No wrong answer to the question.Life is good.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s when I played in two bands and taught at an artsy fartsy muisic center I generally owned three guitars - one electric, a wood body acoustic and a steel body National. I did not really care about how old they were or even what name was on the headstock. To me they were tools and as long as I had tools that got the job done I did not need any more what I already had. Add to this that I had another nasty habit - I on occasion liked to eat which required money.

Then I stopped gigging and happily settled back just doing some backing work and sitting in. Got a real job that after a bit started making some decent money. All of a sudden guitars start just showing up. And they kept on coming. So for me, the accumulation did not really start until playing music went from a way of earning a living to a hobby fueled by having some expendable cash.

I've been at seven acoustics for awhile now. That is my self-imposed maximum amount -- if one comes in, one has to go out. And since my collection is full of guitars I cherish, I doubt any of them will be leaving for a long while.

The reason I have multiple guitars is simple: I had the funds to buy them and I wanted some variety. Sometimes, I feel like playing the SJ-200, sometimes I feel like finger picking on my Martin small-body. Sometimes, I want the lightweight D-18V and other times I want the thump of the HD28.

I do have two that rarely get played, but I hang onto them for sentimental reasons as they were the first "real" guitars I saved for. They're not worth much on the market, and they mean something to me.

What makes you lift a particular guitar on a certain day?

My other guitar is a beautiful instrument but I never lift it.

It's our hobby. Golfers don't have 5 sets of clubs for a given day , pool players have one cue . I do like going to guitar ships and seeing/playing the variety . but thats it.

I do have a mate with 16 motorcycles , he baffles me too :)

I have downsized my collection to 2; a Gibson j45 RS TB, and a campfire beater. For me it became a matter of simplicity. I have at one time owned everything under the sun, it seemed. I have had vintage and new Guilds, Martins,(many) Gibsons, Harmony, Taylors, and enjoyed them all. Recently I decided, for the sake of simplicity and economics, to sell all but one. To shorten the story I sold seven guitars and was left with an early 90's Hummingbird & j100x. After a few months of A/B ing the two I discovered neither qualified as the lifetime keeper, sold them both and bought a great sounding j45.

I think it was about the hunt for a while and then it was discontent with my playing. Or thinking a different guitar would somehow resolve my inadequate playing. Now that I only have one I am back to the music and could not be happier. I do not miss the constant shopping ebay or CL nor do I feel compromised by a single instrument.

I've found with acoustics that since I received my Fylde I've been more interested in learning the dynamics and how to get the best out of that one guitar. I still have the best two of my Gibsons, which I'm happy to keep as investments and for sentimental reasons, and a Martin that was a present that I wouldn't feel right selling. And then there's the 12 string and the classical... I use the term one guitar in the loosest possible sense! At the end of the day, I enjoy having the multiple guitars about the place, but it's really the one that get 90% of my play time. With electrics I'm a big fan of 335 style guitars, and I like having a family of them in my music room - nothing to do with needing several for tonal reasons, although they do have their own personality. But even then I often wonder whether the money I spent on a Norlin, a '60s refin and a couple of Epis would have been better spent on a good, clean early '60s example. Still, I'm doing what all incurable GAS addicts are doing and saving up for the better guitar whilst keeping the existing ones in the fold...

I certainly see the advantage to having one guitar that you know inside out though. I work in the violin trade, and there are very few if any classical violininsts who would own and play a series of instruments - you buy one, often for the price of a small house, and you learn how to wring every last drop of tone out of that one instrument.

Good question, BBG!

I had a few guitars when I was a kid, but bought my first 'good' guitar, 73 Fender Tele in about 74 and a Fender SuperDooper Amp not long after, played in rock bands and the rest is a blur. I bought a Dobro to learn fingers, did an acoustic set among the electric blues and of course, started needing spare guitars in diff tunings.......... had 5 guitars behind me onstage at one point, band went pfffft!!!!!, pawn shop got all except the Tel and the Dobro - amp and effects gone. I was possible a third of the weight I am now, no money, no job - heading off with the Dobro solo acoustic was a leeetle bit necessary!

Fast forward.....

Looking at the internet and saw geetars for sale - how would that ever work?

Started reading the UMGF....oh, oh, oh! Got the fever, bought a Martin 000-15. More forum reading, had bone saddle and nut and pins installed! Had a pickup put in the Dobro!

Hopelessly hooked!

Started reading Gibson acoustic forum.....oh nooooooooooooooooooooo! Bought an Epi EL-00 to try parlour guitar size out.

Bought a Gibson Blues King soon after......

Could have been happy and stopped right there, but gave up smoking and honestly, have gone a little bit nutzo since..........20 guitars.....

BluesKing777.

EDIT:

How much are smokes in your various countries? I see the brand I smoked are now $Aus 25 a pack now - approx $US28.....

That's a whole lot of geetars!

The reason I have multiple guitars is simple: I had the funds to buy them and I wanted some variety. .

That sums it up for me. When I bought my 1948 J-45 for $50 in 1966, I had to borrow the money from my sister. That was my only guitar for almost 35 years. A few years ago, I found myself with enough money to indulge in buying some of the guitars I couldn't afford to own when I was young.

Each was bought with a specific style of music in mind, so there's a bit of a variety, but some overlap.

Some rarely get played, and I could live without them. But until I feel a burning urge to buy another one, the ones I currently own will probably stay in the stable. I've got maybe a dozen guitars now, and no room for more. Lack of storage space has become the controlling factor. Building my new music room is on hold, in part because if I have more room, I will be tempted to buy more guitars.

What makes you lift a particular guitar on a certain day?

My other guitar is a beautiful instrument but I never lift it.

It's our hobby. Golfers don't have 5 sets of clubs for a given day , pool players have one cue . I do like going to guitar ships and seeing/playing the variety . but thats it.

I do have a mate with 16 motorcycles , he baffles me too :)

I'd bet most serious pool players or golfers have more than one set of clubs.

I'm a guitar whore and proud of it. [flapper]

I will add: If times ever get tight for me and the family, I'd sell a few of them. But until that time, there's no reason for me to sell.

I think I'm overcompensating for when I could not afford a decent guitar. I like everything I have and enjoy them every time I pick them up with the exception of a few that I will sell, use for trade bait or make gifts of to close friends. I'm currently looking at a vintage Martin and offered up a choice of about everything with only a few exceptions.

I've been at seven acoustics for awhile now. That is my self-imposed maximum amount -- if one comes in, one has to go out. And since my collection is full of guitars I cherish, I doubt any of them will be leaving for a long while.

The reason I have multiple guitars is simple: I had the funds to buy them and I wanted some variety. Sometimes, I feel like playing the SJ-200, sometimes I feel like finger picking on my Martin small-body. Sometimes, I want the lightweight D-18V and other times I want the thump of the HD28.

I do have two that rarely get played, but I hang onto them for sentimental reasons as they were the first "real" guitars I saved for. They're not worth much on the market, and they mean something to me.

Seeing the Martin D18v in your list reminded me....

The pawn shop about 4 hours drive from me, (luckily - I've been that way a few times in a fever), has a 2003-4 Martin D18v, which can be sensational guitars. I notified a few guitar playin' friends, but they turned their noses up for various reasons, and it is still there and I can't believe it.

I have the om18v, (incredible) and don't like D sizes, but they are on very plain faced guitars. A closer inspection reveals some quality timber!

Their loss, some afficianado will grab it.

BluesKing777.

I have an addictive tendency. I am addicted to shopping for the perfect Hummingbird, can't find it, so end up coming home with others, but only if it stirs my soul. I moved to the mountains of Colorado with rivers but no lakes, sold a really nice fishing boat, gave half the money to the household, and started a guitar acquisition fund with the rest. Blew thru it years ago... Set my limit at 5, and so far, so good, in spite of temptations floated here by most of you guys. Interesting though the musical choices, Neil Y -Martin, J Denver 200, J Browne and originals -JB the 45 is my fun machine, the SJ is still trying to find its place, it's on a road trip with me know to Oregon. Really a nice guitar, nice sound, but seems to me to lack a specific personality. Will be subject to a number of string experiments. If it doesn't write me a new song on this trip, it's going on the short-list. [crying]

When looking at myself, then it is about playability and tone. Looks play an inferior role for me.

For a particular song or style, there always will be guitars which might match differently. Depending on the player's individual taste, a specific guitar may inspire a specific touch creating a special response.

No matter if it's about electric or acoustic guitars, I think these peculiarities are part of the motivation pushing a player forward. At least, they are important for me, as a player and songwriter as well.

Good question, BBG!..

Could have been happy and stopped right there, but gave up smoking and honestly, have gone a little bit nutzo since..........20 guitars.....

BluesKing777.

EDIT:

How much are smokes in your various countries? I see the brand I smoked are now $Aus 25 a pack now - approx $US28.....

That's a whole lot of geetars!

$5 USD. $28 in AUS ? I'd switch to guitars too.

Have aways enjoyed having a variety of tones available. Sometimes I'll hear something while playing an electric that I've never run across while playing acoustically, and vice-versa.

Back in the '70s & early '80s, got up to ten guitars at one point because I'd buy beaters & fix them up to trade for higher quality instruments.

Nowadays, since my daughter has graduated from college & retirement is looming on the horizen, I'm literally gearing up (23 guitars, 1 mandolin, 18 amps, 2 cabs) to be as musically comfortable as possible when no longer working. If nothing else, having a fair amount of guitar equity will allow for some low-buck recreational trading possibilites!

Could I live with one guitar? Sure, and it would be the ES-330 VOS.

Archived