Gibson Brands Forums

Almost scored a trashed Gibson.

ksdaddy

Back in '84 I went to visit one of my old school teachers. He and his wife always had bands of some kind, probably still do for all I know. There was an old Gibson Heritage in the corner. They didn't use it much at that point. His wife had bought a new Guild D-40 I think. I don't think they were much for getting guitars 'looked at' and if there was an issue with a guitar, it just got replaced like a dishwasher.

That was 30 years ago and I don't remember much about it. Seems like it was a late 60s model. There was a big chip taken out of the side of the headstock, many scratches and dings.... it was a road guitar for sure. They couldn't decide if they wanted to sell it or give it to the kids so nothing came of the inquiry.

Not long ago one of his sons friended me on facebook. I asked him about it. He said it got stored in a shed at some point and got "all moldy and warped" and smelled like dirty socks.

So... whatever happened to it? Is it still in the shed?

Nope. They threw it in the trash.

I don't feel very good right now.

May be a long shot but that stuff does sometimes work out. A friend of mine ran into a someone he had not seen since high school more than 40 years ago. Offhand my friend asks if the guy still had the Les Paul Jr. he played in those days. To make a long story short, he did - the guitar had been sitting in a closet for a couple of decades - and my friend now owns the guitar.

Don't take it that much to your heart. I am with you because I also can't understand this, especially as a playing musician, but I always knew players who didn't care too much for their instruments and other gear. [unsure]

You and me are not responsible for everything, either good or bad, so try to get over your sad feeling. You're not to blame, Ksdaddy.

May be a long shot but that stuff does sometimes work out. A friend of mine ran into a someone he had not seen since high school more than 40 years ago. Offhand my friend asks if the guy still had the Les Paul Jr. he played in those days. To make a long story short, he did - the guitar had been sitting in a closet for a couple of decades - and my friend now owns the guitar.

[thumbup]

When I was a child, I would regularly hear the story of how back in the mid-50s my parents had found an advertisement in a local rural North Carolina newspaper for a Steinway baby grand piano for a couple hundred bucks. It was a back issue, but they sprang into action and contacted lady. As the story goes, she said, "I got fed up with looking at the thing and after a couple of months of no one buying it I had it chopped up for firewood."

Might even be true. Capitol Cycle in Macon, GA, had 60 years or more accumulation of vintage bikes in various stages of repair in their basement, including a LOT of really nice, very desirable racing iron. It all went unceremoniously on flatbeds and was chopped up into scrap metal.

I was at a jam a couple weeks ago where a guy was playing an old 0 size Martin, 1919 I think he said it was. It was very rough but cool; the bridge had come off at some point and someone had put a moveable bridge and tailpiece on it - the filled screw holes were still there. Their idea of hiding the top repair (don't know what the repair was like) had been to mask off a rectangle around the bridge and paint it black, which was still there too.

This guy's boss had owned it; he shipped it somewhere and UPS busted it up. The guy got the insurance settlement and threw the guitar in the trash at work. This fella dug it out, sent it to Martin for a structural rebuild and asked them to leave it as "original" as possible; he didn't want to spend a lot of money as he was going to fix it up to give to his granddaughter, plus he liked all the signs of the various journeys it had been on.

When he got it back he loved the way it sounded, so he offered his granddaughter her choice of the Martin or the new guitar he'd just bought (forget the brand or model) and she took the shiny new one, which thrilled him. Very cool old guitar, and it really did sound quite good. Made me want to start stopping at every trash dumpster I see!

Archived