Gibson Brands Forums

1953 Southern Jumbo demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Yeah, it sounds good - then again strangely rounded and edgeless. Definitely no vintage dominance.

It really makes want to know what steel he uses.

But again - nice recording/test.

"Rounded and Edgeless" - perhaps due to playing mostly with flesh- that "edgeless" sound on my SJ lead me to the DR Rares, sounds a bit more raw.

Yeah, it sounds good - then again strangely rounded and edgeless. Definitely no vintage dominance.

I don't know, I really liked the tone and playing in both examples.

That's the kind of demo I like. Melodic playing with structure to it.

Yeah,that was my impression also, a bit rubber bandy, missing the dryness and bite that these 50's SJ's / J-45's are known for. Like he was using Silk n' Steels. Wasnt all that impressed.

I liked the sound of both. I agree that the tone is quite muted as he plays mainly with flesh - but that's how I play too (though not as well as he does). Friends comment that I play too quiet and should use a pick. I hate them! Can't get used to holding one at all and I don't like using my nails (if I bothered to grow them) either.

Keen to try out a thumb pick and maybe the others that go over your fingers - but I reckon I'll suck at using them too!

When do you head off Dave ?

Have you been window shopping in the mean time ? Any ideas yet about what youre bringing home ?

Not until November BBG :(

I've looked at a few of the online sites of the suggested guitar shops and there are some great guitars out there. Unfortunately I can't afford the 1937 AJ at $50,000 lol.

As much as I'd love to get a Hummingbird I reckon I'll come home with a small body LG of some sort.

Archived