Gibson Brands Forums

Solid/swiss cheese Les Pauls vs chambered Les Pauls; useful info

Bram

My only experiance with a chambered Lester is my (9 year old) daughters new '08 Studio, Fireburst.

I've been a bar gigger for many decades, okay. Over 3. Nuff said. I gigged bars with a '72 Les Paul for 14 years.

I snuck her Les Paul to a gig (literally) a few weeks ago. Although it's strung with 9's (for her) I used it with my Boogie Blue Angel, playing Classic Rock, Blues, Motown, and Classic Country, and it is one of the best sounding Les Pauls I've ever played. People bitcch about 490R/ 498T's ect., I don't get it. I could dial in about any tone I wanted in just a few seconds with that combination of pickups.

I even did a thread on it I think. If nobody had told me it was a chambered guitar, and I didn't read stuff here, I don't know that I would have even known. Sustain is great.

Opinions are like a$$holes, but MY opionion is I'd gig that guitar any day of the week. It's a LOOKER too.....

Best to ya.

Murph.

MY opinion is that choice is a good thing. A nice capitalist principle....Like I've said before, I'm sure the chambered LPs are good, but my point is about something entirely different. There will always be a$$holes, but opinions are the life blood of forums. If someone disagrees, that's good isn't it ? No one's frightened of a little debate are they ?

My only experiance with a chambered Lester is my (9 year old) daughters new '08 Studio' date=' Fireburst.

I've been a bar gigger for many decades, okay. Over 3. Nuff said. I gigged bars with a '72 Les Paul for 14 years.

I snuck her Les Paul to a gig (literally) a few weeks ago. Although it's strung with 9's (for her) I used it with my Boogie Blue Angel, playing Classic Rock, Blues, Motown, and Classic Country, and it is one of the best sounding Les Pauls I've ever played. People bitcch about 490R/ 498T's ect., I don't get it. I could dial in about any tone I wanted in just a few seconds with that combination of pickups.

I even did a thread on it I think. If nobody had told me it was a chambered guitar, and I didn't read stuff here, I don't know that I would have even known. Sustain is great.

Opinions are like a$$holes, but MY opionion is I'd gig that guitar any day of the week. It's a LOOKER too.....

Best to ya.

Murph.[/quote']

Finally someone who actually has played a chambered and a solid. I think a lot of people who trash chambered LPs have never played one.

Finally someone who actually has played a chambered and a solid. I think a lot of people who trash chambered LPs have never played one.

Im another one...

I bought a chambered Lester. Loved it!...I had no problems at all.

Then...

Tim got his R9 and raved about it....long story short.

I got an R9 and found that I loved the sound even more then the chambered.

So I sold it.

Im not being a snob. Gibson USA's are great guitars. I simply like the historics better...alot better. They even

smell different.

I think a lot of people who trash chambered LPs have never played one.

Nobody here wants to 'trash' chambered Les Pauls. I've played a bunch of them, so I know where I'm talking about. Almost any of the chambered Les Pauls I've played have been great guitars, in both tone and playability. Chambered Les Pauls have became the industrial standard and that's not without a reason...many purists think they're great sounding Les Pauls, BECAUSE of the chambered body and the lighter weight (I understand...clearer, more trebly, woody tone).

I just say they're different compared to a solid bodied Les Pau. A solid body has a more 'solid', warmer tone which you may like or not.

Probably the most important thing to add is that I prefer solid bodies at louder gig volumes; the louder it gets, the more amazing the tone becomes in every aspect and that's not how I feel about chambered guitars (they are better at lower volumes to my opinion).

Probably the most important thing to add is that I prefer solid bodies at louder gig volumes; the louder it gets, the more amazing the tone becomes in every aspect and that's not how I feel about chambered guitars (they are better at lower volumes to my opinion).

+1

I found that too....At higher volumes the difference really becomes apparent between chambered/solid body.

I own a gibson les paul vintage mahogany studio (whew) 2005 model and it is chambered , actually a three piece body that was cut in half and routed out i believe. There is a difference in the sound from a solid body but, the difference is subjective and may( MAY) be able to be duplicated exactly with effects, amps, cord, and playing style.

But heres why i like the chambered, the cleans are almost like a acoustic , bell like clarity, and beautiful bass, mids, and treble, and the guitar does over drive and distort very well, for rock. This instrument is very versitle which is why i like it so much..

Also, i noticed the tone control chamber and pickup selector chamber was not lined with foil...I bought a roll of stick foil and lined both and i am certain i get a More compressed sound, and better control of overdrive, and controlled distortion. I also notice i don't get the exact train whistle and honks( although still there) i used to get before i sound proofed the chambered areas. mostly noticed on the king crimson tunes i like..lol, old school.......................

Archived