Gibson Brands Forums

1961 50th annuversary SG wrap around bridge issue

Scott Marlowe

So I just got a 1961 50th anniversary SG with P-90s. I loved almost everything about it right from the beginning. After a tiny amount of setup work, it was pretty good, except the D string was deadish sounding on open and 1st through 3rd fret. Kind of buzzy and overtone-laden. And if I picked it and then stopped it, the A string above it would now be vibrating with all those overtones. Frustrating to tell the truth. I ordered a cheap $5 wraparound bridge from China, and after changing the bridge, this problem is gone. I kinda would like to make the Epiphone bridge work and was looking for suggestions and experience with these wrap around bridges. The top of the bridge where the ridges are for intonation is flat, with no grooves to hold the strings. I'm wondering if spending some time with a fine edged file there could make a difference, givng the strings a little valley to fall into or not.

I'm seriously considering the Wilkenson everybody seems so happy with. But I might still tinker with the stock bridge. Since it was missing the intonation screws when I got it, Gibson was kind enough to send me a whole other one with the screws in it so I have a replacement in case things go horrifyingly wrong.

So you have the original bridge, a replacement from Epiphone and another aftermarket bridge? Either way, they are all Chinese. You can file it to see what happens, but you'll lose the nickel coating where you file. Might not look too pretty. The strings will eventually create grooves in the right areas though.

But here is something to consider with these bridges...especially since they dont have pre-cut grooves. When you string the guitar, be very meticulous about how the strings are positioned over the bridge. Its really easy to have some of the strings be in the wrong spot until the grooves start to form. Make sure that the strings come out of the holes and go straight up over the bridge. I've had issues with these bridges when they were new where the strings were not positioned correctly from the factory. Some of them were angled a few degrees over the bridge and this can cause intonation and buzzing issues. I actually had to replace one of my bridges because the grooves started to form in the wrong spots and wouldnt stay in the correct position and would keep falling into the old slots. And again, this was how it was set up at the factory.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like the strings right now slide a bit to one side after I put them on, like the saddle isn't level for it or something? I think I'll stick to the cheap Chinese adjustable one, and order the Wilkenson one in a month or two if I really start to dislike the chinese adjustable one. Right now I'm just loving that my D string isn't dead. That was a huge disappointment on a brand new guitar.

I bought the same guitar with the same bridge. I thought it odd, as it looked like a hybrid, between acoustic and electric bridge. I have had no issues with it, though.

After replacing the bridge, I've run my fingernail along the top ridge where the D string would sit and it's got this kind of wibbly wobbly bit sticking up ever so much. Kind of like a drip in a painted surface. I'm wonder if it held the string a little off center or something and caused my problem.

I might still get out some files and try to salvage the old bridge, as long as the intonation isn't terrible I'd like to at least give it its day in court. Plus I've got a spare, so I can do terrible things to one and not worry about having a replacement.

OK so I ordered the hipshot baby gran bridge, which looks like it's a bit lower than the cheap chinese one I got on there right now. I'll report back on how well it works in a few weeks. I'm hoping it's slow enough I can put a bit of a bend back in the neck and still have low enough action. Not 100% sold on the action with this slightly too high chinese bridge. If that doesn't work then the $30 Wilkinson seems like a good choice. At least it'll match the tuners!

You also might want to consider the nut if the bridge isn't the issue.

From the complexity of the issue it sounds like the bridge though.

Just my two cents, i haven't had nut issues myself but seen others complaint about them.

Cheers and hope you resolve this [thumbup]

i'd stick w/the bridge that fixed the problem, regardless of where it's from.

Yeah, the action's just a tad too high when there's a slight bit of relief in the neck though. It's close. But I'm hoping the other bridge brings it down just a bit. But for a cheap $5.00 Chinese bridge, the one on there now works pretty darned well.

Stupid HitShot harp bridge! The slots are too narrow to use the stand off bolts that come with the guitar, and the bolts it comes with are a different pitch. On top of the that, the press in studs are a few hundredths of an inch narrower than the stock ones, so after pulling the stock ones they just kind of fall into the holes. Further, the fit and finish on it is terrible. Took 30 minutes to get the various screws and threads to work with each other. $60+ and it's crappier than the $4.95 bridge I ordered from china. Also, the stand off bolts don't go all the way down into the studs so that you can't get the bridge down far enough. And the press in studs are deeper than the stock ones so I'd have to drill more out of the bottom of the hole to make them fit. If I was building a guitar from scratch it would be fine, but it's a terrible aftermarket upgrade for an Epiphone.

Put the old bridge studs and bolts back in, and took a file to one of the two stock wrap around bridges for now and it's playable. sigh. This weekend I'm picking up a 9/16" flat drill bit to countersink the studs then I'm going back to the cheap chinese bridge. Once it's 1/8" or so lower it'll be about perfect.

Archived