Gibson Brands Forums

Roller nut on ES's and LP's

crust

Not on an Epiphone but on Gibson SGs with a Lyra tailpiece and Maestro vibrola. The stock Nashville Tune-O-Matic tilted back and forth and left all the strings detuned even when using the bar just for slightly shimmering effects. Replacing it with a Schaller STMC roller bridge improved performance significantly.

Never tried it on hardtail Gibson or Epiphone guitars though, don't have any problems with them, so I left them stock.

Are we talking bridges or nuts?

have you ever installed a roller nut on your Epiphone ?

Hey, Crust,

My answer is no. I would be interested in what others have to say.

Is something like this what we're talking about?

http://www.allparts.com/BN-0262-010-ABM-7020-C-Roller-Guitar-Nut_p_768.html

I would be checking into string spacing (E to E). On an Epi I believe it is 1.36" or 1 3/8".

I would also check into any needed modifications, either to the nut or the guitar.

Now, I understand these are the reasons you are asking.....but.....

As long as we are waiting on an answer, I hope you don't mind if I ask....

What Have You Got Up Your Sleeve? [confused]

Willy

I put a roller bridge/saddle thing on one of the Riviera P93's. That improved the tuning stability (imho, significantly). Now I'm kind of wondering what a "roller nut" might do, in addition to the bridge/saddle roller thing...on this guitar. I'm hoping the tuning might be even more "stable" than with only a roller bridge and a "normally cut" nut. msp_biggrin.gif It might not be, but then again... I'm also hoping that the sustain and possibly additional "tuning stability" may improve slightly (ball bearings instead of plastic/bone/graphite....) I guess the only way to find out is to try it msp_mellow.gif. I may take this particular guitar to "my guy" and see if he'll install a proper width as well as a properly "spaced" roller nut toomsp_sleep.gifmsp_blink.gif

I was thinking (I know,bad ideamsp_rolleyes.gif) about modifications that could be done, without actually cutting and drilling the guitar itself, which may not be possible if installing an aftermarket, "specialty" nut.. mellow.gif

Time to stop thinkingmsp_sleep.gif

I was also wondering (a little), why more Epi/Gibson guitars don't have roller nuts. Whadda I knowdry.gifmsp_unsure.gif

Are we talking bridges or nuts?

Hey, Crust,

My answer is no. I would be interested in what others have to say.

Is something like this what we're talking about?

http://www.allparts....-Nut_p_768.html

I would be checking into string spacing (E to E). On an Epi I believe it is 1.36" or 1 3/8".

I would also check into any needed modifications, either to the nut or the guitar.

Now, I understand these are the reasons you are asking.....but.....

As long as we are waiting on an answer, I hope you don't mind if I ask....

What Have You Got Up Your Sleeve? [confused]

Willy

That looks like what I'm thinking of installing, or something quite similar.msp_thumbup.gif

I have an LSR on one Strat and a Wilkinson on the other.

If you are looking for something to improve the way the guitar returns to tune, the LSR nut can do a better job than traditional cut nuts.

Just a quick measurement of the LSR nut on my American Series Strat and Epiphone Sherry II indicates they are the same width, and my uncalibrated eyeball says the strings are about the same spacing.

So it may just work. It'll be interesting to see how yours turns out.

Archived