Gibson Brands Forums

Should I add a strap peg to the heel?

eots

I agree that it's best to have a technician do it, but when I took mine in to have it installed, I told them I wanted it on the lower side of the heel. When I picked it up, they had installed it in the center of the heel, saying that Gibson would not warranty it installed anywhere else. This was from an authorized Gibson dealer (L&McQ).

Hi TWilson....I just bought a stunning J200 Elite and really can't decide whether to fit a button to the heel either. I realise that it won't hurt the value or anything' date=' I just can't bring myself to drill a hole in this beautiful guitar. I have done it on other guitars in the past with ease and great success, but it's just so lovely as it is. I stand up a lot to play so need to decide which way to go. Do you know why Gibson don't prefit a strap button there?

Cheers, from England, Dave[/quote']

what Dave said, I've put them on other guitars, but I can't take a drill to my songwriter. I did get a loop that permanently stays on the headstock so I just have to push the button through the strap end, that makes putting a strap on the guitar easier... but I wear it old school. works good for me.

I agree you should do what you want, but, before you do let me point out a few things. There is a reason Gibson does not put buttons on some of their guitars. It is called origional reproduction. They are trying to keep it to origional period standards. I will be doing a lot of performing soon and we prefer to stand while playing, it seems to look a little more professional. I have a lot of guitars with heel buttons and they play fine but I find that when I play up the neck there is nothing like being able to shift the guitar to the left to get to the upper frets, if you know what I mean. The only way to achieve this is to have the strap go to the nut. Try shifting your guitar with a heel button. It can't be done confortably. If you plan on playing sitting down then it really does not matter. I just wanted:-({|= to point this out before you do anything. It takes a little time to get used to playing with the strap at the nut, but once you do you will probably never go back. Try it out and see! IMHO, that is! Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Thanks to "Michael" of Pompano Beach FLA for that informative reply in favor of what KSdaddy's own Daddy (and Mr. Zimmerman of Minneapolis (to judge from Bob's ancient photo) preferred -- even "sitting down" (the narrow strap fed under the strings at the nut).

As Michael put it so well, there is "nothing like being able to shift the guitar to the left to get to the upper frets, if you know what I mean. The only way to achieve this is to have the strap go to the nut. Try shifting your guitar with a heel button. It can't be done confortably. [and that]

"It takes a little time to get used to playing with the strap at the nut, but once you do you will probably never go back. Try it out and see! IMHO, that is! Hope this sheds a little light on the subject."

It did, Michael -- and thanks again!

As an aside, I have a year-old "Northern (Southern) Jumbo" (Limited Edition, 65 copies) which came with the botton installed on the 'far side' of the heel; I'd been wondering about that choice by Ren Ferguson. Also I've not played standing up (professionally, in a band for 40 years; so now I'll try it your way and, incidentally, play a small part in helping stop KSdaddy's Dad from any more spinning in his grave! (Perhaps he's looking down and smiling at this good thread?)

Mark Blackburn

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

If ya don't want to do a strap button head over to Musician's Friend or whatever and take a look at those leather "collars" Martin makes. Pretty nifty.

Martinstrapbutton.jpg

I like these too!! My AJ has a strap button on the treble side of the heal that I installed myself. Drilling a hole into your guitar, is not for the, faint of heart!! I had to have 2 shots of Tequila, after I did this.

I decided to never do that again!! (drill holes!! not the Teguila) Hence the leather strap that goes on the headstock, of my J-45.

I'm comfortable with both, but probably won't drill holes any more guitars.

Won't pay someone else to drill one either.

Archived