Gibson Brands Forums

Should I add a strap peg to the heel?

eots

Just received my 2005 J-185 EC limited edition cherry today.

Would like to add a strap peg to the heel as on my other guitars. Is this taboo or something? Not sure if it'd hurt the value, not that I'm expecting to sell.

Anyone?

If you want a strap button I'd go ahead and do it. It should not hurt the value of your guitar and many, many people do it all the time. I have one on my J-45 but haven't decided if I'll do it to my SJ-200 yet. If I used a strap more I would do it right away but I do most of my playing sitting in a chair so it doesn't affect me that much. I say, go for it!

Just received my 2005 J-185 EC limited edition cherry today.

Would like to add a strap peg to the heel as on my other guitars. Is this taboo or something? Not sure if it'd hurt the value' date=' not that I'm expecting to sell.

Anyone?[/quote']

Search for "Strap Button" on this forum and you'll find lots of good info, because this is a frequently asked question here. You'll find the recommended placement with pictures.

As far as I am aware, a well fitted strap peg on the heel will not devalue the guitar.

As Honky and TWilson have intimated - there is a fair bit of discussion on these, and most importantly the fitting (that is the key with regards to value - a pro fitting will not damage it, therefore not reducing the value - the small cost of this is worth taking the hit on... not sure of your experience, but if it's anything like mine, i probably would!)!

I have one on my J45 which is great, gives me the choice of standing or sitting (in fact, I think I'm starting to prefer standing up!)

Do it and put it on the treble side of the heel. I can't stand the strap going around the headstock although I know some people like that. I prefer the balanced nature of having one here. I agree, it should not devalue your guitar. If your unsure how to do it, have a competent tech/luthier do it. My guy at the Podium did my Gibson free and I didn't even buy it from him. (They have a great luthier/tech there named Marty who is the best in the Midwest in my opinion!)

Strapbolt_location.jpg

If it floats your boat or blurts your squirt, go right ahead. This is a non-'value reducing' add on... for most people. Since it's a player and not a collector its'a non-issue.

Just as long as it's a professional looking add on and you don't crack the heel your good. Since you've done this before.. or had it done without tragedy, this shouldn't be an issue either.

Thanx for the responses. The search function wasn't available before I registered and overlooked it after I did.

I've added the peg to my other guitars w/o issues. My Langejans has it in the middle of the heel instead of around to the treble side but it was put there by Del. Will need to find a piece of felt since my spares came off straplock replacement donors.

Was 2005 the only year the red j185's were done in that color?

Who here any of the other 200 le's ?

Do it and put it on the treble side of the heel. I can't stand the strap going around the headstock although I know some people like that. I prefer the balanced nature of having one here. I agree' date=' it should not devalue your guitar. If your unsure how to do it, have a competent tech/luthier do it. My guy at the Podium did my Gibson free and I didn't even buy it from him. (They have a great luthier/tech there named Marty who is the best in the Midwest in my opinion!)

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/Strapbolt_location.jpg[/img]

While the above photo is perfect for heels that are pointed, (Martins ect.) I find with Gibson, I tend to prefer on top of the heel.

(position 4 in the photo.)

I would NEVER use position 2, as it can crack the heel plate.

ts0055promo.jpg

(copyright Stew-Mac)

I have a leather strap around the headstock arrangement on my SWD which works very well for me. It's very comfortable. I'm going to have someone fit a heel button on her soon so I can compare properly.

I have a heel button (pre fitted) on my Tak 12er and do find that it is very headstock heavy and unbalanced. This could, of course, be due to the extra weight in the headstock because of the additional wood and metal.

I do agree with others who say not to worry about fitting one as long as it's in the correct place and done professionally. As for selling it on, I'd say the vast majority of real players would see it as a beneficial add-on.

If ya don't want to do a strap button head over to Musician's Friend or whatever and take a look at those leather "collars" Martin makes. Pretty nifty.

Martinstrapbutton.jpg

Nifty yes. Pricey, yes.

I got me a pair of boot laces will do the same thing. 88¢ a pair up there to the Walmarts. That's 44¢ per guit tar. And.. I can chain not them to look like snake rattles.

True, the boot lace doesn't look quite 'Up Town", but not all of us are "Up Town".

While the above photo is perfect for heels that are pointed' date=' (Martins ect.) I find with Gibson, I tend to prefer on top of the heel.

(position 4 in the photo.)

I would NEVER use position 2, as it can crack the heel plate.

[img']http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/newsletter/ts0055/ts0055promo.jpg[/img]

(copyright Stew-Mac)

I have that same location (#5) on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I just let my Luthier, Marty at the Podium in Minneapolis, install it and that is the spot he put it in. I like it as it feels safe and snug right there. I tried one of the Martin headstock things and didn't like it. It now sits in the piano bench. Anyone wanna trade for a set of strings? :)

I have that same location (#5) on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I just let my Luthier' date=' Marty at the Podium in Minneapolis, install it and that is the spot he put it in. I like it as it feels safe and snug right there. I tried one of the Martin headstock things and didn't like it. It now sits in the piano bench. Anyone wanna trade for a set of strings? =P~ [/quote']

PM Sent

I put them on because I perform standing and it's more stable for me that way.

Looks like this guy could use the uncut strings to hold up the neck. Pardon my sheltered life, should I know him?

I put them on because I perform standing and it's more stable for me that way.

Looks like this guy could use the uncut strings to hold up the neck. Pardon my sheltered life' date=' should I know him?[/quote']

Looks like Bob Dylan back in the day to me.... He never cut his strings! lol

• 1 month later...
If you want a strap button I'd go ahead and do it. It should not hurt the value of your guitar and many' date=' many people do it all the time. I have one on my J-45 but haven't decided if I'll do it to my SJ-200 yet. If I used a strap more I would do it right away but I do most of my playing sitting in a chair so it doesn't affect me that much. I say, go for it![/quote']

Hi TWilson....I just bought a stunning J200 Elite and really can't decide whether to fit a button to the heel either. I realise that it won't hurt the value or anything, I just can't bring myself to drill a hole in this beautiful guitar. I have done it on other guitars in the past with ease and great success, but it's just so lovely as it is. I stand up a lot to play so need to decide which way to go. Do you know why Gibson don't prefit a strap button there?

Cheers, from England, Dave

Maybe because there are many different places to put them and the manufacturers figure it's easier to let the end user sort it out. I know I prefer to put them on the treble side of the neck heel but I own guitars where people have put them directly into the heel cap.... not my choice but I certainly won't bother moving it!

My father is spinning in his grave knowing I put a strap button on the heel of his Martin. He always used those skinny white leather ones fed under the strings at the nut. Ick. I hate them thangs.

The book on strap pins is this: They have no impact on a guitar's value, but it is not something you should do yourself.

Have the work done by a qualified technician - if they do something wrong, their insurance will buy you a new guitar.

Place it on the lower side of the heel toward the lower bout as has already been suggested. Use a metal strap button, not plastic, and ask for a piece of felt to be installed between the bottom of the button and the wood of the heel = this helps in two ways by protecting the finish and preventing sympathetic vibrations.

Archived