Gibson Brands Forums

Limited edition sg

Aj Dorset

I am being offered an SG as part of a trade

I am told it is a limited edition one of twelve. It was specially produced for"artists" using old stock ebony and high end custom hardware.

Gibson don't seem to be of much help, saying "The serial number of this guitar links in our database to an SG Standard Heritage Cherry with Maestro, made, made in Nashville, Tennessee in 1997" however it has a bigsby, and top fret inlays, which very much look original, they are sugesting they may be after market modifications.

The guy offering the trade seems kosher and is insistent this belonged to a top European guitarist and was made as is by gibson.

I am torn, it looks and plays like a dream, but II can't know for sure it is what he says

Any one ever heard of gibson doing these limited editions for players, how do I tell if it is anything other than a standard SG?

Finally as always, any idea of value

post-63942-071643900 1398626930_thumb.jpg

post-63942-076613100 1398626948_thumb.jpg

post-63942-070719300 1398626972_thumb.jpg

post-63942-031951100 1398627226_thumb.jpg

Those pics are pretty small, but it looks like a Standard with a rosewood fretboard, standard trapazoid inlays and a Bigsby which was possibly added after market. What does that "sticker" say on the back of the headstock?

Gibson does limited editions, but their records for the last couple of decades are very good. I would trust Gibson before trusting some guy that says "a top musician owned it". Does the seller have paperwork to support his claims?

Below is a 2011 SG STD with Bigsby which sold on fleaBay for $975. Add a trapazoid to the first fret (I've done it to a couple guitars) and it looks the same as the one you're looking at.

$_57.JPG

That really does look like Rosewood. I would suggest the guy is lying to you or he does not even know what he has to begin with. You said that this is part of the trade. It is possible that your seller is trying to raise the value of the item in question here. How much is he telling you it is worth?

Your "seller" must be on "Crack!" There were "limited edition" models, with these spec's,

back in 2004. SG Standard, with that Bigsby. The photos you supplied show the SG

Standard, batwing pickguard, Bigsby ("Solid Body") vibrola, and Rosewood fingerboard.

Nothing special, really, except the Bigsby, and the "Limited Edition" sticker on the

back of the headstock.

Offer $800 bucks, tops, IF in "Excellent" condition!

CB

Those pics are pretty small, but it looks like a Standard with a rosewood fretboard, standard trapazoid inlays and a Bigsby which was possibly added after market. What does that "sticker" say on the back of the headstock?

Gibson does limited editions, but their records for the last couple of decades are very good. I would trust Gibson before trusting some guy that says "a top musician owned it". Does the seller have paperwork to support his claims?

Below is a 2011 SG STD with Bigsby which sold on fleaBay for $975. Add a trapazoid to the first fret (I've done it to a couple guitars) and it looks the same as the one you're looking at.

$_57.JPG

Dépends if there is the threated hole for the stopbar Under the Bigsby

Is the Bigsby stock? Tuners are vintage made by Schaller.

@ALFA ROMEO CORSE -

It would be interesting to know how Gibson has your Limited Edition (LE) listed in their records. Would you mind emailing them (service@gibson.com) with its serial number and ask them what they have on record? If yours comes up as a LE in their records, than it would be a stretch to believe the OP's SG is a LE.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived