Gibson Brands Forums

New L5 double cut

mike tango

Sorry, I didnt get to namm to view the prototype. I was just observing what was posted on the gibson site and what is showing up on the retail sites.

The link I posted is another thread in this forum, where the doublecut L-5 has been discussed.

Danny W.

1399115610[/url]' post='1516055']

Does anybody here believe that this guitar will be a big seller for Gibson? Personally I don't think that it will...........jim in Maine currently working in Denver,Colorado

I am not sure of the depth of this guitar. Maybe it will sell in a thinline version like a Byrdland, but I don't think it would be successful in a full depth version. The full depth, single cut is a classic design that has been embraced by players since 1939 and has inspired many other guitar makers. Double cuts look great on guitars like 335's, but jazz players are generally traditional folks. I believe that's why the Barney Kessel was not a huge success in its day. Keith

It's a weird one - if it were a laminate guitar I could see it doing quite well as a cool oddball guitar aimed at the Gretsch / Duesenberg market, but at $10k I would guess turning heads at NAMM was the main intention - a 'look what we can do' piece rather than a serious stab at a new model - and they'll sell not more than a few dozen to wealthy collectors. It's a shame really, I very much like it as a design.

I for one really don't get what Gibson's point is in bringing out these oddball instruments that will most likely only appeal to collectors.......it just seems to me that Gibson is producing quite a few instruments that will never appeal nor sell to the general public which traditionally formed the basis of Gibson's market............jim in Maine now working in Denver,Colorado

I am not sure of the depth of this guitar. Maybe it will sell in a thinline version like a Byrdland, but I don't think it would be successful in a full depth version. The full depth, single cut is a classic design that has been embraced by players since 1939 and has inspired many other guitar makers. Double cuts look great on guitars like 335's, but jazz players are generally traditional folks. I believe that's why the Barney Kessel was not a huge success in its day. Keith

The prototype was a thinline, so it's likely the production models will be too. As for the Kessel, it outsold the Tal and the Smith during its production period, so I'm not sure the double cut was a detriment.

It's a weird one - if it were a laminate guitar I could see it doing quite well as a cool oddball guitar aimed at the Gretsch / Duesenberg market, but at $10k I would guess turning heads at NAMM was the main intention - a 'look what we can do' piece rather than a serious stab at a new model - and they'll sell not more than a few dozen to wealthy collectors. It's a shame really, I very much like it as a design.

A "few dozen" carved-top guitars is a nice production run for Gibson. As for the price, it's the same as the L-5CT and a grand more than a standard L-5CES, so it's hardly out of line--if it's only for collectors, the same is true for the entire carved-top line, since none of them is cheap.

I for one really don't get what Gibson's point is in bringing out these oddball instruments that will most likely only appeal to collectors.......it just seems to me that Gibson is producing quite a few instruments that will never appeal nor sell to the general public which traditionally formed the basis of Gibson's market............jim in Maine now working in Denver,Colorado

Gibson has gotten requests for custom double cuts over the years and has built some in the past, so it's really not that oddball a product. Keep in mind that the Flying V, Firebird, and Explorer were considered oddball when they were first released. I would bet that quite a few players would like this guitar if the price were lower, but the main thing to keep in mind is that all carved-top production is relatively low volume, so making up a batch of something different doesn't really impact Gibson's product line very much. Instead of complaining about this guitar, we should be glad that Gibson is willing to try new things while still making more traditional models.

When Gibson came out with the L-5 Signature guitars, there were many people wondering why they were making a shrunken version of a flagship guitar, including me. I'm sure glad they did, since I can now gig with a guitar that fits me much better but still looks, feels, and sounds like an L-5. I'm only sorry they haven't continued to make them, oddball or not.

Danny W.

1399162727[/url]' post='1516282']

The prototype was a thinline, so it's likely the production models will be too. As for the Kessel, it outsold the Tal and the Smith during its production period, so I'm not sure the double cut was a detriment

Thanks for that info Danny. I know that a very small number of Tals were made, but I wasn't aware that the Kessel actually outsold the Smith. I guess I made an incorrect assumption based on my circle of friends. I knew lots of guys who had Johnny Smiths but I didn't see many Barney Kessels around in those days. Don't get me wrong, I think the thinline double cut L5 is a good looking guitar. As you said, they don't have to make a very big batch of them to make it worthwhile. Sounds like you're thinking of ordering one! Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Archived