Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Trivia -- well question really!

The last song that Paul McCartney performed taped the evening (I believe) before he received the Gershwin Prize at the White House, he played on an Epi acoustic. On the body of the guitar was what looked like a sticker resembling that of the Detroit Red Wings insignia. What was that guitar? The entire performance was aired on PBS.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ac32bc081

A 1964 Epiphone "Texan", with a Detroit Red Wings sticker stuck onto the lower bout.

An "iconic" guitar. He performed the recording of "Yesterday" on that guitar...The Beatles song played more than any other.

60g's!!!! I hope that the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix purchases it. It would go good along side the piano that John wrote Imagine on. What was the significance of the Red Wings sticker? Paul a Red Wings fan? Can you imagine what the original might be worth? msp_scared.gif

Thanks for that. I enjoyed reading it. Perhaps I will use all of this information if I come across one of those Gibson snobs who think of an Epi as a cheap Gibson knock off - "Hey buddy, if Paul McCartney can . . . ". msp_biggrin.gif

I mentioned earlier that MIM should purchase that guitar off eBay, but then I realized that they would only be interested in the original -- if ever it becomes available.

Archived