Gibson Brands Forums

Dot studio pickup upgrade

Razz

My apologies for the redundancy of this thread. Let me start by saying I have an'03 Dot Deluxe that I love the stock (bridge) pickup in, an '00 Dot that I replaced the bridge pup with a BB Pro (years ago). Recently purchased an '04 Dot Studio (in alpine white!) and found I don't care for the higher gain sound from the stock pickups. So I stuck the stock pup from the '00 in there and it ain't cutting it either, not as loud as the stock in the '03 and overall just dull sounding. Can't justify putting a $150 Gibson pup in a guitar I got for $175, am considering GFS FatPat or '59 Classic...thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for your help!

I put GFS Vintage 59's in my Sheraton initially, and they were a good upgrade from the stock ones. Clearer, more character. For the money they are good. And of course, more money buys better. But if you just want an improvement without spending a lot, these are fine. I did some youtube listening to choose between these and the fatpats, and there was something about the fatpats I didn't like- too fat I guess. When I heard the 59's in my guitar I knew I had chosen the right ones, they are well balanced, familiar classic tones.

I put a Gibson Classic 57 (picked up on Ebay for around £35.00) at the bridge and a GFS Mean 90 at the neck. Gives the best of all world IMHO.

This is probably a dumb question, but, have you tried adjusting the pole piece and pickup heights ? Have the pickups in your guitar been adjusted for "maximum tone". ?

This is probably a dumb question, but, have you tried adjusting the pole piece and pickup heights ? Have the pickups in your guitar been adjusted for "maximum tone". ?

Yes sir, did the Erlewine recommended height adjust (learned on here), pole heights...testing it against the pick ups in my other two dots (one stock, one not) and was disappointed. I really want to like it but it just falls short. Have even considered opening it up a scraping some wax out? I thought the pups in the dot and the deluxe were the same, but it's too big of a difference to ignore. Have been reading up on GFS and listening to samples, some good some bad... May look into some used name brands, not sure yet. Thank y'all for your advice

I put GFS Vintage 59's in my Sheraton initially, and they were a good upgrade from the stock ones. Clearer, more character. For the money they are good. And of course, more money buys better. But if you just want an improvement without spending a lot, these are fine. I did some youtube listening to choose between these and the fatpats, and there was something about the fatpats I didn't like- too fat I guess. When I heard the 59's in my guitar I knew I had chosen the right ones, they are well balanced, familiar classic tones.

I just got a pair of those for my HH Squier Strat. Gonne do some other work on it and block the trem. I really liked all the sounds on various playtest videos I could find. Got push pull pots for it as well, so I can have split coils etc.

Hmmm...now I'm thinking I may swap it for the BB Pro that's in the '00 dot since I prefer the neck of the DS anyways. If that ends up sounding good to me then problem solved (at least for the DS) and maybe put something else in the '00 somewhere down the line...

Well, made the swap, BB Pro into the DS and stock pup back into the '00 Dot from whence it came. The '00 actually sounds better (to me) with its original pup back in, and the DS now sounds kinda like my VM Les Paul (same wood). Also fitted her with a pickguard, looks great. So all the girls are happy and I'm happy too!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Starpeve - I see you're from Adelaide.

Don't know how old you are but do you by any chance remember Jules Nightclub in Hindley Street? Had some great times there back in '79 when I was in Adelaide for a few months.

Edit - I see from your profile that you're pretty much the same age as me so chances are that you would know the place.

Hell yeah! Mirror floor and nude statue out the front! Adelaide was a great place in those days. Venues everywhere, music everywhere, chicks everywhere. Can't breathe for pokie machines these days, and we're becoming known as the "Nanny State" due to our increasingly restrictive rules and regulations. Bah Humbug. Glad you have fond memories of her when she was lovely. What's your neck of the woods like?

Hell yeah! Mirror floor and nude statue out the front! Adelaide was a great place in those days. Venues everywhere, music everywhere, chicks everywhere. Can't breathe for pokie machines these days, and we're becoming known as the "Nanny State" due to our increasingly restrictive rules and regulations. Bah Humbug. Glad you have fond memories of her when she was lovely. What's your neck of the woods like?

Shame to hear how it's changed but I guess that's pretty much the same for most places.

We live in a very small southern English market town which has managed to retain at least a semblance of it's identity but we are becoming more and more at risk of being swamped by housing development and a slow but inexorably growing influx of Eastern Europeans who are taking the low paid, entry level jobs which once would have been the preserve of the school leavers. In addition, because in general (although not all) they tend not to attempt to integrate with the local population, you get a somewhat uneasy situation analogous to two strangers living in the same house but who never communicate, which breeds resentment.

On the plus side we're less than a mile in any given direction from some stunningly beautiful downlands.

Archived