Gibson Brands Forums

Collectors choice.

LarryUK

My Les Paul has the so-called VOS finish, I did not want to pay another $400 to get the shinny version.

I also don't buy real blue jeans, they shrink and wear like crap, I do however choose my jeans with the wear I like.

I wouldn't include VOS in the relic definition. Although I assume the relics have a VOS finish or something like it.

I would consider VOS a finish option. Like when buying paint you choose gloss or eggshell.

And if it saves you $400 over a shiny one what's not to like?

I quite like a dull finish on certain guitars. I love the Chocolate Satin finish on the SGJ.

I think finish should be as much an option as a minitune ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THAT's what it all comes down to, relics are an option too. Don't like it don't buy it.

I agree with Searcy that actual guitar players buy these guitars, maybe not the rich guys at MLP but then again a lot of pro guitar players don't hang out in forums.

I always wondered how a guitar bought used beat by somebody else would be classified? I have a Gretsh that is pretty beaten up but I did not do it, I bought it like that.

THAT's what it all comes down to, relics are an option too. Don't like it don't buy it.

I don't like them and I won't buy them.

Thanks.

And this is a thread of a $6100 beat up guitar and I am stating my opinion.

Feel free to buy it if you like it.

rct - now whadya you mean by describing my house, car and appliances in this forum? [laugh]

I have a 30 year old guitar that was fairly road worn when I got it about 23 years ago and is a lot more so now - if I'd bought it new as a relic I guess the same would apply - maybe it ceases to be relic'd after a period of owner inflicted abuse??

Relics - I think of them a bit like Rat Rods (those purposely beat up style hot rods) - can be cool if done well. (IMO)

Archived