Gibson Brands Forums

SG Custom Dark ?

69tele

This is a common question for these excellent guitars. Keep in mind they have 3 volume controls and one tone. The middle pickup is wired to be "on" in all 3 switch positions. If you haven't already done so, try rolling off the middle pickup volume knob to 0. The guitar will now switch like a normal 2 pickup SG.

This is a common question for these excellent guitars. Keep in mind they have 3 volume controls and one tone. The middle pickup is wired to be "on" in all 3 switch positions. If you haven't already done so, try rolling off the middle pickup volume knob to 0. The guitar will now switch like a normal 2 pickup SG.

Excellent suggestion, and it may cure your problem. If not, some Gibson "Classic '57's, and appropriate

pots, will most certainly brighten things up, but without being excessive. I have 4 Gibson SG's, including

the 3 pickup Kirk Douglas SG Custom, and NONE of them are "dark" sounding, unless I want them

to be, by adjusting my amp accordingly. They all have fabulous tone, and all have Classic '57's in

them, as "stock" pickups! So, if you able, financially, and/or not afraid to change the stock pickups,

I'd recommend the Gibson "Classic '57's, wholeheartedly! [thumbup]

Cheers, and good luck!

CB

Have a three pickup SG custom, and find it very "dark" compare to any of my other guitars, any ideas on how to brighten it up ?

It's all stock at the moment

My SG is a two pickup model but it is considerably darker in tone than my LP. I think it's a little of the nature of the beast.

Exellent suggestion.........and keep that tone knob wide open

mine is a bit dark to say the least, but the bridge p'up only setup works pretty well.

Archived