Gibson Brands Forums

Need Some Help Authenticating

Jdsfighter

My grandfather passed away a little more than a year ago, and left me his Gibson Les Paul, however, my grandmother didn't wish to part with it quite yet, she passed away a couple weeks ago, and I finally received the guitar.

A lot of family drama went down, and I'm attempting to ensure there wasn't a bait and switch on the guitar, while unlikely, it is highly possible.

The serial number is: 550385

Under the knob cover, there were a couple numbers on the knobs, one had the following: 1377534 and 70-026

I can't quite tell if the serial number is ink or imprinted, but the Made in USA is definitely imprinted, deep.

Here are some images:

bpYxiGO.jpg

VwOhwqC.jpg

oCucZzK.jpg

I could've swore a few years back when I saw it there was a nameplate on there somewhere that had detailed information about, but I may be mistaken. So I'm somewhat curious. The guitar is in near flawless shape, no belt scratches, nicks, or anything else really.

Yup.. cant see anything off..

Looks like a LP Deluxe Blue Sparkle... even though this one has a very different looking serial number....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Gibson-Les-Paul-Deluxe-Rare-Blue-Sparkle-Finish-GIE0309-/330632804680?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cfb403948

If you email Gibson Customer Service with the pics and serial number they may be able to confirm it

Hello!

Welcome to the Forums!

My condolences to You...

As far as the guitar is concerned, it's a real beauty. If I had one, I wouldn't let it go ever...

However, (I am no expert at Deluxes) I thought the sparkle colours came in early eighties - last years of productions. As it seems, I was wrong.

Cheers... Bence

Archived