Gibson Brands Forums

Why country music sucks.

Searcy

oooh, Snakeskin Cowboys, who the hell you think you are,

prancin' around in your paper product hats..... [laugh]

Are snakeskin cowboys like "tin plated greenhorn" or something? [biggrin] I like my straw hat when I go mow the back 40 at home or esp. when I head to Wyoming to hang out. It a cheaper "Shady Brady" cuz I spend too much on guitar & Harley stuff to have one of them expensive hats Milo talked about earlier I think. [biggrin]

Aster

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy...

Last full rodeo today here. You're right about the appropriateness of the term "green mud." Then too, there are the road apples.

And seriously, year-round, it's common for folks to have spurs on their boots when then stop for chow or a drink.

It's a type of "country" that frankly I think most "farm" states don't quite get, let alone city folks. That's a matter of culture, but I'm convinced that although most live music around here is played by full or part time folks who live in a town, the effect of a much more sparse population density plays a huge role in what stuff "sells."

As I've suggested before, listen to the late Chris Ledouox material and it'll offer a clue that even if there's an increasing urban/rock ingredient, the independent streak of rural/frontier folk brings a much different flavor to music that a virtually identical "style" of a band with an urban cultural base.

m

M.....did you and your buddies have "road apple battles" as kids like we did? [biggrin]

uncontrolled chaos that was...........man I miss those days

RE: Snakeskin boots and "paper" hats.

Never had snakeskin boots 'cuz they'd be harder to clean when I do, actually, get green mud on my boots.

As for the "paper" hats, I got a nice Bailey "straw" from the local boot and whatever-western purveyor and didn't realize what the damned thing was made up until my wife and I were talking about what kinda straw it was. Dug around a bit and ... sheesh, it looked like a straw, cost like a decent straw but... nope, 'twas paper except for the sweatband.

OTOH, I'm not sure that's worse than a made to order set of boots I bought in Seoul maybe 25 years ago. I figured a hand-made set would be pretty nice. Nope. Their idea of a set of buckaroo boots (great in winter around here) were basically English-style riding boots with a bit more heel and no spur ridge at all.

City folk... sheesh.

m

Justin Straws ($20 @ Tractor Supply).....wear like freaking iron......but now I have the urge to slice into mine just to see

Bender...

A western SD kid ended up playing fiddle with Clark for years...

What I think is "funny" is how all the real old time pickin' began incredible increases in virtuosity when we got recordings, then radio and sound movies, on up to today's media. I think we have increased our own expectations for musicianship geometrically increased from pre-Edison.

m

Oh... Bender...

My Bailey "straw" ain't all that bad. Holds up pretty decently even in the rain - which cleans off the rodeo arena mud - and was quite a bit more $$ than Justin straw and not that much less than Tony's or Charley "felt" hats. As for the better hats... one can tell the diff.

Road apple fights - yup.

All...

Boots, even the pretty girls' "competing for Miss Rodeo" boots, should be tough enough to work livestock on foot in a pen during most weather conditions. That pretty much leaves out the snakeskin variety or the sort of less expensive "tourist" boots one finds a lotta places. It's simply a matter of decent quality materials designed for the real thing.

But yeah, the years I lived in Memphis, I wore city shoes and no hat 'cuz it was a different world.

m

Oh... Bender...

My Bailey "straw" ain't all that bad. Holds up pretty decently even in the rain - which cleans off the rodeo arena mud - and was quite a bit more $$ than Justin straw and not that much less than Tony's or Charley "felt" hats. As for the better hats... one can tell the diff.

Road apple fights - yup.

All...

Boots, even the pretty girls' "competing for Miss Rodeo" boots, should be tough enough to work livestock on foot in a pen during most weather conditions. That pretty much leaves out the snakeskin variety or the sort of less expensive "tourist" boots one finds a lotta places. It's simply a matter of decent quality materials designed for the real thing.

But yeah, the years I lived in Memphis, I wore city shoes and no hat 'cuz it was a different world.

m

yep, i've got the expensive "dress" hats, but for everyday wear, it's the Justin in the summer, and oddly a MIM brand named "Cowboy" that I got at a convienence store for $12.50 in the winter......toughest felt i've ever .....felt.

CITY shoes???? [scared] say it ain't so!

that's almost like eating picante' sauce from NYC [laugh]

one of the funniest segments ever on a show I grew up watching.......

oh, some talent here too !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gw0fxuIvBM

oh no...i've gone O/T again.......sorry

Roy Clark was a big part of the reason I wanted to learn to pick. I saw him live at a show when he broke a string that nearly cut his nose playing Malaguena. A couple of hands lowered another guitar over him and as he stepped out of the first one he barely missed a note!

Bender...

Yup, city shoes in Memphis.

Why? 'Cuz of so many pheasant-feather hats and snakeskin boots there that woulda gotten me laughed out of a branding up here, let alone a bull sale.

So... I wore suits and warmups and city shoes and sneakers and... even polo shirts and khakis. But that's for city living. I escaped.

m

Archived