Gibson Brands Forums

Why country music sucks.

Searcy

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I run into a few of these guys around town. They are mostly good guys with reasonable talent. The pickers and players are all top notch..... but the songs.... It's... I mean... The suck is amazing.. [scared]

It's not about "the music" anymore...it's about making a fast buck! A LOT of fast bucks!

Same thing, in the "Pop" music field! I couldn't possibly tell you, which is worse! However,

there is Good/Great "Country" music, but you won't find it, on commercial "Country radio"

or CMT, for the most part. At least, IMHO. [tongue][cursing]

CB

Yep, the country guitar guys know their stuff and if they stuck to that it'd be great. But once the vocal starts...YUK! [scared]

LOL...Yeah, I always wondered why the singers go out of their way, to sound "Stupid!"

A lot of them, without the whiney "twang" schtick, have pretty decent voices. And...

Pre-formed Plastic Cowboy Hats??! WTF is THAT about?!

CB

It's so formulaic... from the big ol' cowboy hats to the afore-mentioned recurring lyrics. It's really boring music to me, and I never liked it at all. There will be the odd song or two that comes out that is worth a listen. But it's rare.

But, damn... those session players can play! What a waste of talent! LOL! [laugh]

Agreed, Country pickers, by and large, are truly gifted players!

A lot of that comes from "Bluegrass" roots, too.

And, I agree with Donny, that it's become "formula" music, instead

of "Real," country/folk, all too often. The Good stuff IS still

around, alive and well. But, you'd never know it, by what's on the

commerical radio stations. Same with Pop and Rock! IMHO, as always.

CB

Yeah, it pretty much blows. I won't slag it too bad since I have a few friends making decent livings in those guys bands, but I wonder... can't you say pretty much the same of most decades? Wasn't there bad "country" music in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's? Seems to me there was.

I run into a few of these guys around town. They are mostly good guys with reasonable talent. The pickers and players are all top notch..... but the songs.... It's... I mean... The suck is amazing.. [scared]

+++1 Very well stated. The song is what counts. To me, music is either exciting or boring, regardless of style. [rolleyes]

Yep, the country guitar guys know their stuff and if they stuck to that it'd be great. But once the vocal starts...YUK! [scared]

LOL...Yeah, I always wondered why the singers go out of their way, to sound "Stupid!"

A lot of them, without the whiney "twang" schtick, have pretty decent voices. And...

Pre-formed Plastic Cowboy Hats??! WTF is THAT about?!

CB

Blame it on ignorant recording engineers unable to set up an all-analog cue signal for artists, and the subsequently unavoidable pitch quantizers, e. g. Antares Autotune.

As to the state of the music industry, dying, and desperate?

Well, IMHO, they brought it all on themselves! The Internet

just speeded up the process!

CB

Uninspired artists, unable engineers and greedy managers kill music by trying to compose bank notes instead of musical notes, writing poor lyrics, badly conducting recording, and finally compressing and limiting it all to dead. [cursing]

Stupid

Stu·pid

[stoo-pid, styoo‐]

adjective, stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est.

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.

2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.

3. tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.

4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.

5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.

Yep, that pretty much says it all! [flapper]

At least, as far as commerical radio "Country," "Pop," and too much "Rock," these days!

And Yes, every era has had it's share! It just seems to be so mind numbingly prevalent,

nowadays! [tongue][crying]

CB

I think the title should more accurately be "Why modern country music doesn't appeal to my personal tastes." It ain't for everyone, but even as a youngin' (20 years old) I still appreciate the traditional country music of decades past and listen to it frequently. Very few in my generation have an IPod full of Waylon, Jones, Haggard, Cash, Snow...you get the idea.

Of all the "modern country" artists that have come out in the past ~decade, only two ever really caught my eye; Brad Paisley and Keith Urban. Both great pickers, with half-decent to decent vocals, and for the first 7-8 years of their careers, they put out good music (IMO). The occasional flop (like Urban's attempt at straight up pop with Defying Gravity), but they recovered from it (somewhat).

But even now, those two (who I still have the utmost respect for as musicians) have changed.

But it's not just the record labels, producers and recording engineers. Some of these artists just have a more eclectic taste than others; Urban has noted that he finds some of the techniques used by electronic musicians fascinating, and has incorporated that into some of his new music. Paisley's even collaborated with rappers like LL Cool J.

The point is, you can judge all you want, but callinf music "bad" is just stupid. I obviously can't speak for every artist out there, but perhaps some of the artists you consider "uninteresting, stupid, and unmusical" really enjoy what they're doing. They like the music they're creating. Their fans like the music they're creating. They choose to put the music out, and the fans decide whether they want to listen to it or not.

I'm the kind of person who will listen to any song, by any artist in any genre, decide whether I like it or not, and if I don't, I stop listening to it. I don't call the artist "bad"; I just choose not to listen to them because their musical tastes and mine don't coincide. There's no such thing as "bad" music, just as there's no such thing as "bad poetry" or "bad paintings". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and good music is in the ear of the listener.

Do I care for 90% of the "Modern Country" I've heard? No. Doesn't mean people are wrong or stupid for liking it; music can connect with people in ways you never thought to consider.

I prefer not to put musicians into "genres" anymore. If you just think of a musician as a musician (rather than a "Rock guitarist" or "Country singer", for example), it removes some of your expectations of what they "should and shouldn't be".

But of course, as always...

IMO.

-Ryan

I blame Hank, Jr.

I always thought it was Garth Brooks that started it all. But maybe he was just part of the "Big Hat and Tight Jeans-ification" of Country music.

Yeah, it pretty much blows. I won't slag it too bad since I have a few friends making decent livings in those guys bands, but I wonder... can't you say pretty much the same of most decades? Wasn't there bad "country" music in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's? Seems to me there was.

Indeed, surf. I think you can say that about every genre of music. My favorite decades for (rock and pop) music are the '60s and '70s... and there was a lot of god-forsaken crap that came outta those—the latter, in particular.

Stupid

Stu·pid

[stoo-pid, styoo‐]

adjective, stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est.

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.

2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.

3. tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.

4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.

5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.

Yep, that pretty much says it all! [flapper]

At least, as far as commerical radio "Country," "Pop," and too much "Rock," these days!

And Yes, every era has had it's share! It just seems to be so mind numbingly prevalent,

nowadays! [tongue][crying]

CB

I think the title should more accurately be "Why modern country music doesn't appeal to my personal tastes." It ain't for everyone, but even as a youngin' (20 years old) I still appreciate the traditional country music of decades past and listen to it frequently. Very few in my generation have an IPod full of Waylon, Jones, Haggard, Cash, Snow...you get the idea.

Of all the "modern country" artists that have come out in the past ~decade, only two ever really caught my eye; Brad Paisley and Keith Urban. Both great pickers, with half-decent to decent vocals, and for the first 7-8 years of their careers, they put out good music (IMO). The occasional flop (like Urban's attempt at straight up pop with Defying Gravity), but they recovered from it (somewhat).

But even now, those two (who I still have the utmost respect for as musicians) have changed.

But it's not just the record labels, producers and recording engineers. Some of these artists just have a more eclectic taste than others; Urban has noted that he finds some of the techniques used by electronic musicians fascinating, and has incorporated that into some of his new music. Paisley's even collaborated with rappers like LL Cool J.

The point is, you can judge all you want, but callinf music "bad" is just stupid. I obviously can't speak for every artist out there, but perhaps some of the artists you consider "uninteresting, stupid, and unmusical" really enjoy what they're doing. They like the music they're creating. Their fans like the music they're creating. They choose to put the music out, and the fans decide whether they want to listen to it or not.

I'm the kind of person who will listen to any song, by any artist in any genre, decide whether I like it or not, and if I don't, I stop listening to it. I don't call the artist "bad"; I just choose not to listen to them because their musical tastes and mine don't coincide. There's no such thing as "bad" music, just as there's no such thing as "bad poetry" or "bad paintings". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and good music is in the ear of the listener.

Do I care for 90% of the "Modern Country" I've heard? No. Doesn't mean people are wrong or stupid for liking it; music can connect with people in ways you never thought to consider.

I prefer not to put musicians into "genres" anymore. If you just think of a musician as a musician (rather than a "Rock guitarist" or "Country singer", for example), it removes some of your expectations of what they "should and shouldn't be".

But of course, as always...

IMO.

-Ryan

When I was younger, there also were lots of music available I didn't care for, mostly since it was boring to my taste. I don't think that boringly stupid music is a specific appearance nowadays, it has always been there, but perhaps more obvious today due to easier access. :-k

Anyway, there wasn't that much music predating me I cared for. On the other hand, my eighteen and thirteen years old children love to hear The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Yes, Steve Miller, Toto, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Joe Jackson, to name only a few. So I guess their stuff may be everything but boring. [biggrin]

There also is some younger music I find exciting regardless of style. E. g. "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera, "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay and "Live With Me" by Massive Attack featuring Terry Callier (RIP, Terry) are among my all-time favorites. B)

"Country music" always has been a complex variety of styles and concepts. Even in the early recording years and "Grand Ole Opry" it had incursions of pop, blues and jazz of the time.

In the '50s you could hear lots of swing and jazz, blues and pop in it.

The dialectic between "mountain Scots-Irish" and "cowboy" and "blues," with various infusions of jazz and "pop" instrumentation all added to something quite different - and the lyrics generally had a degree of meaning that went beyond "you're cute" in ways that the "country listener" readily identified with and the "more sophisticated" listener denied the reality of it.

I think a lotta the current material is too influenced in ways by the current music scene but, then again, that was the initial sort of complaint when Chet was called too much a jazz picker, drums were forbidden and electric guitars in general were perceived as modern degeneracy.

<grin>

Here's one I think shows exceptionally well how some of the material had a synergy of styles that could work. I'll add that it's one that made me feel better about using an electric and doing my own thing.

And too, I tend to see "cowboy" material as largely one of metaphor where each of us is the cowboy in our own way, perhaps especially us guys, taking up our own kind of "rodeo" in youth and often discovering it ain't necessarily a pleasing lifelong proposition.

m

For me, county has become different.

I grew up with country and still love it, but it seems to me in recent years, it became a hiding place and cash cow for people who couldn't make it in pop. It became "I can take a mediocre pop song and twang it up just a little and make a million"

Modern Country=Bad Pop

There is still very high quality out there, but you won't hear it on the radio or tv........won't happen.

I know (through another hobby) one of the top country DJ's in the USA and asked him, why no Shooter Jennings, why no Hank III?

He summed it up with "Those guys don't attract large groups of consumers(mostly female) and radio is all about the advertising dollars"

I wish many of them would just sit and play guitar because there is a lot of talent out there......Paisley, Urban, Gill, all great pickers.

Just my two cents and I'm sure many will disagree.

NHTom

I think I like most types of music, but never understood country music. It all sounds the same to me, you know, "My girl left with my pick up truck, now here I am all alone at in the bar bla bla bla", however recently whilst visiting Nashville I saw a young couple, live going by the name of Striking Matches and wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0osyGPBZE&list=RDoj0osyGPBZE

Ian

Yeah...

but for any of us who got into music and it became part of us, regardless of style...

Cannot this be universal for us pickers still there regardless whether you like the voice and instrumentation?

I tend to do more "jazz-like" variations of '50s pop stuff most of the time but... this one tells it.

m

Admittedly, I was "spoiled" to "Country" music, early in life.

NOT because of the music, itself, really...but, due to some very

unfortunate incidents, with too many violent, drunken, "Rednecks,"

that I, or my other band members, experienced, early on, in my own

musical adventures. ("Rednecks" vs "Hippies!")

It took a long time, to get past that. The music, of course, was

not to blame, but the association to those folks, was far too

numerous, for me, for a LONG time! But, I got over that, for the

most part, quite awhile ago. Every now and then, though, I get a

vivid reminder, and it all comes crashing back!

But, as they say, "you can't fix Stupid!"

CB

CB...

Played folkie a bit for a bit of money; rock for a bit more... did best and covered costs of the '70s guitars and equipment I still regularly use thanks to a cupla country trios.

Gotta admit that my personal "likes" in music are pretty eclectic and to play in a band nowadays I'd end up having to learn a lotta material I haven't learned in any specific genre 'cuz I've tended to learn stuff I like - or stuff I need 'cuz I'm being paid for it.

<grin>

m

CB...

Played folkie a bit for a bit of money; rock for a bit more... did best and covered costs of the '70s guitars and equipment I still regularly use thanks to a cupla country trios.

Gotta admit that my personal "likes" in music are pretty eclectic and to play in a band nowadays I'd end up having to learn a lotta material I haven't learned in any specific genre 'cuz I've tended to learn stuff I like - or stuff I need 'cuz I'm being paid for it.

<grin>

m

Yeah, we play a bit of most all of it, now...50's, 60's, and on...Pop, Country, Rock, Blues, etc.

And, I've mellowed a bit, with age, too...in my outlook, and what I will and will not play. [biggrin]

CB

Archived