Gibson Brands Forums

Have you ever loved and bought a different guitar..

charlie brown

Going along with "oceantracks" different color than intended thread...

I though about times I have ended up with something different, sometimes

MUCH different, than what I had intended to purchase.

One (of mine) was my Gibson "Lucille!" I had intended on looking at, and

probably buying, a ES-335. But, I saw "Lucille," played her, and fell in Love,

and (at that time) it was also 400 dollars LESS, than the ES-335. Why?? Who

knows?? My dealer said it was only due to the difference in "demand," at that

time. So, I made out like a bandit, on that deal, and have never regretted it

for a second! [thumbup][biggrin]

How about you all? Yes, or No, and if so what did you end up with? [biggrin]

CB

Yeah.... I wanted a 2009 nighthawk... Cos I REALLY wanted that pickup combo... one of these

39574600-c8e4-4f13-9901-cb10bac13a2f_zps0cd9ba12.jpg

BUT they had sold it about an hour before I arrived (the last one)... So I ended up with one of these a Gary Moore BFG you can guess why :)

DSC01168_zpsf1d1d3fc.jpg

DSC01174_zps0d63bad9.jpg

And I did love everything about it, the unique looks and the sound it made was monstrous BUT it has a 50s neck which I thought I would get used to but never did... which is a shame cos it was a stonking guitar.

That's why my first build has a P90 and Hummer combo :) (then Gibson went and released the Futura #-o :))

Yeah.... I wanted a 2009 nighthawk... Cos I REALLY wanted that pickup combo... one of these

39574600-c8e4-4f13-9901-cb10bac13a2f_zps0cd9ba12.jpg

BUT they had sold it about an hour before I arrived (the last one)... So I ended up with one of these a Gary Moore BFG you can guess why :)

DSC01168_zpsf1d1d3fc.jpg

DSC01174_zps0d63bad9.jpg

And I did love everything about it, the unique looks and the sound it made was monstrous BUT it has a 50s neck which I thought I would get used to but never did... which is a shame cos it was a stonking guitar.

That's why my first build has a P90 and Hummer combo :) (then Gibson went and released the Futura #-o :))

So Rabs, I take it, that you sold the BFG? Or, do you still have it, but just haven't "bonded"

as much as you'd have liked?

CB

So Rabs, I take it, that you sold the BFG? Or, do you still have it, but just haven't "bonded"

as much as you'd have liked?

CB

Nah I sold it....

I think that's when I got the Firebird non reverse studio, which I also sold as it had a really flat neck and again, a really interesting guitar. But that helped pay for my 2008 Standard which I love very much :)

The karma river of GAS :)

Luckily, that never happened to me. I always left without buying one in these cases, and it helped me a LOT with sorting out. B)

But, I needed a quantum of solace fairly often, and went with buying some useful gear like a glass slide, a cable tester, a long mic cable for replacing two linked shorter ones picking up hum at the interconnection due to missing sleeve grounding, or the like. I regularly found something both reasonable and appropriate for soothing my G.A.S. attack in a less specific manner, but at least on a budget... [biggrin]

A few years back I walked into my local guitar store intending to buy a Les Paul Junior they had in stock. Played it, didn't like the feel. Noticed a beat-up old Melody Maker in the corner, almost hidden. I asked, and they said it was for sale, and had been sitting there for years. I picked it up, wiped the dust off, tuned it and plugged it in...

Was in love from the first strum. Perfect neck. Perfect weight. Tone was in the ballpark of what I was looking for. And there's just something about holding a vintage instrument that just makes you play differently; better in this case.

So I put a downpayment on it, they put it in the layaway room, and a month or two later I brought home my 1964 Gibson Melody Maker. It's had a few mods since then, but it's still my baby.

xGQkOki.png

You could say I chose a rescue dog instead of buying from a breeder.

-Ryan

I went to buy a used JR. I was specifically looking for something with P90's.

Got to the shop, played it and it was great.

They had a Special there also and I said what the heck, I'll try that while I'm here. It just felt better to me. I ended up going with the special. The neck just felt better. Both had pretty large necks, but that one just fit better.

I still want a JR, but I bought the special until the "right one" comes along.

NHTom

A few years back I walked into my local guitar store intending to buy a Les Paul Junior they had in stock. Played it, didn't like the feel. Noticed a beat-up old Melody Maker in the corner, almost hidden. I asked, and they said it was for sale, and had been sitting there for years. I picked it up, wiped the dust off, tuned it and plugged it in...

Was in love from the first strum. Perfect neck. Perfect weight. Tone was in the ballpark of what I was looking for. And there's just something about holding a vintage instrument that just makes you play differently; better in this case.

So I put a downpayment on it, they put it in the layaway room, and a month or two later I brought home my 1964 Gibson Melody Maker. It's had a few mods since then, but it's still my baby.

xGQkOki.png

You could say I chose a rescue dog instead of buying from a breeder.

-Ryan

Must have been a nice surprise then. [thumbup] And, by the way, it is a great looker, too... [love]

Guest Farnsbarns

Strangely, just like the thread that inspired this, my R8 comes to mind. GAK (well known UK dealer) had agreed to replace my R6 due to some serious undried wood issues. I played the R8 and had to have it, I had to leverage the large amount I'd spent with them over the years but they let me swap it for the R8. So not purchased as such, but obtained a guitar other than the one I intended.

Strangely, just like the thread that inspired this, my R8 comes to mind. GAK (well known UK dealer) had agreed to replace my R6 due to some serious undried wood issues. I played the R8 and had to have it, I had to leverage the large amount I'd spent with them over the years but they let me swap it for the R8. So not purchased as such, but obtained a guitar other than the one I intended.

And a NICE one, it is, Farns! [thumbup]

I remember your problem, with the R-6! Sad!!

CB

Happened to me twice on the same day! I always wanted an es330 and a Les Paul Standard (at the time it was 2008). Was over at my dad's before heading to a gig and he pulled out two guitars to look at a 57 Es225td and a 68 Les Paul, both with P90s. Never wanted P90s or vintage gear, but fell in love with them both. The 225 came home with me that day and the Les Paul followed a couple years later. Great day for inspiring me in music.

Archived