Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

duluthdan

Gentlefolk: If a Hummingbird is to be in my stable, it will have to find me, I'm not on the hunt. That this Legend presented itself when it did was very fortuitous. My feeble mind has been grappling as of late with trying to search out "vintage" Gibsons. This, to me, is fraught with risk - especially to a vintage rookie like me. I almost dropped a load of cash on a '52 that had a shaved bridge, and was possibly looking at another neck set soon. Did it have "that "sound? To me it did. When I picked up this Legend, it too had an abundance of woodenness and vintage vibe, without 60 years of unknowns built in. Built in December of '06 and being one of the early Legends, I just had to jump, the opportunity may never again come around, and it fit nicely into my yen for vintage without risk, and without decimating the bank account. Keeping to my self imposed rule of 5, the SJ is on the block up at Music Villa. That was a hard decision, its a helluva guitar, but I needed the room. A rookie review is to come, if I can force myself into daring to pull out the TV.

Here is a 'Sold' one from Mando Bros - I thought you may be interested to read the blurb:

http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Gibson-J-45+1942+Legend+Acoustic+Guitar-2006/3369

BluesKing777.

This, from your description, says it well, to me. "... who wants a guitar that looks like it was made 70 years ago, sounds like it, feels like it, and yet has none of the eccentricities that one associates with owning a wartime instrument (like the possibly uneven frets, the not having an adjustable truss rod, cracks, splits and separations, loose braces, and other indignities".

Archived