Gibson Brands Forums

Working on the homestead

Californiaman

Two weeks ago we broke ground on our back yard. Since moving in we've been waiting for the right time and most importantly the right price.

So... we broke out the lazer and graded the area. Killed four or five gophers when we graded it out—you gotta know how happy I was about ridding myself of those pesky gophers. I rebuilt the irrigation manifold and relocated three plumb trees, and we started gathering up the retaining wall material I had about four pallets full of it left over from when we moved in. Got rid of some bad concrete the previous owners had put in. Not all of it, but a good chunk was either cracked or the grading was horribly done. We got rid of some hodgepodge walkways of pavers and flagstone and pretty much formed up the patio area (22 yards worth of concrete).

Last Saturday w poured the concrete and constructed a retaining wall.

This week I'll put in the irrigation and prep for some new sod.

Plans are for a nice, warm fire ring. Oak, redwood, and Japanese Maples. A water feature of some kind and lots of potted plants on the new patio. I'm also going to put in an 80'X35' vegetable garden.

Pictures coming soon.

Gophers sure are cuter in the video. [biggrin] And why don't you have any trees? Aren't there trees in California? Or do they just clear cut for the developments?

Gophers are always cuter on the Big Screen.

The trees we used to have were all dead or dying when we moved in. My solution to the lack of trees was to grow my own or plant bare root fruit trees.

Most of my trees are growing in pots or burlap at this time, waiting to be transplanted to a more permanent location, but I do have three plum trees, an apricot tree, a peach tree, a nectarine tree, a Bosch pear tree, a two-year-old Asian Pear tree that I started from seed, a Lemon tree, a Mandarine orange tree, a Cara Cara Orange tree, 24 small oak trees (live oak and valley oak, as well as cork oak) all gathered from the surounding countryside, and five coastal redwoods (bought at Costco) and 10 dawn redwoods that I've grown from seedlings (Ebay).

Oak trees are very hard to grow. The seedlings often don't take when you transplant them because the roots are so sensitive. The three Valley Oaks were all planted from acorns and given to me as a gift from a friend.

Dawn redwoods are the only deciduous redwoods. They loose there leaves during the fall season. They're beautiful in that they go through the color change. I have five that are four feet tall now and ready to be transplanted when we finish up the landscaping. I'll hold off on the other five until next year. The Coastal redwoods are all along the back trail fence of the house. It's my hope that after a few years they'll block the view of the house that was built on the property behind ours.

As far as clearing them for development, it's against county ordinance to clear native oak trees. They try and save as many as they can.

Everything in due time Surf.

Next step is to redo the irrigation, plant some turf, and carve out some planters and alternative entertainment areas (fire ring area, barbecue area away from the patio, and of course fence off my new garden area).

Guest Farnsbarns

Gophers are always cuter on the Big Screen.

The trees we used to have were all dead or dying when we moved in. My solution to the lack of trees was to grow my own or plant bare root fruit trees.

Most of my trees are growing in pots or burlap at this time, waiting to be transplanted to a more permanent location, but I do have three plum trees, an apricot tree, a peach tree, a nectarine tree, a Bosch pear tree, a two-year-old Asian Pear tree that I started from seed, a Lemon tree, a Mandarine orange tree, a Cara Cara Orange tree, 24 small oak trees (live oak and valley oak, as well as cork oak) all gathered from the surounding countryside, and five coastal redwoods (bought at Costco) and 10 dawn redwoods that I've grown from seedlings (Ebay).

Oak trees are very hard to grow. The seedlings often don't take when you transplant them because the roots are so sensitive. The three Valley Oaks were all planted from acorns and given to me as a gift from a friend.

Dawn redwoods are the only deciduous redwoods. They loose there leaves during the fall season. They're beautiful in that they go through the color change. I have five that are four feet tall now and ready to be transplanted when we finish up the landscaping. I'll hold off on the other five until next year. The Coastal redwoods are all along the back trail fence of the house. It's my hope that after a few years they'll block the view of the house that was built on the property behind ours.

As far as clearing them for development, it's against county ordinance to clear native oak trees. They try and save as many as they can.

Everything in due time Surf.

Next step is to redo the irrigation, plant some turf, and carve out some planters and alternative entertainment areas (fire ring area, barbecue area away from the patio, and of course fence off my new garden area).

I've recently started trying to learn, properly, the art of bonzai and have a little oak in a pot. I can concur that they are sensitive buggers. I killed one but the second one seems to be doing OK although I need to treat it for "white powder mildew" but I think it will be OK. I have a little spruce (Bruce the spruce) as well. Bruce is much hardier than the little oak.

Nice layout,,that cement truck rig is nice. Those gophers could be in the rodent hall of fame somewhere Im sure,,taxidermy them,,and mount on the walls of the patio would be a nice touch. I have some woodchucks living under my tool shed in back yard,,Im trying to figure out how I can train them to play gtr,,and start there own little band,,"The Woodchucks",,live for one night only,,coming to a habitrail wheel near you! Nice project there guy.

I've recently started trying to learn, properly, the art of bonzai and have a little oak in a pot. I can concur that they are sensitive buggers. I killed one but the second one seems to be doing OK although I need to treat it for "white powder mildew" but I think it will be OK. I have a little spruce (Bruce the spruce) as well. Bruce is much hardier than the little oak.

Try a crimson queen japanese maple if you like bonzai. Any Japanese maple will do though. I've seen where someone was using Dawn Redwoods for bonsai. Just check youtube and you'll see what I mean. I'm thinking of some Western Red Cedar as an addition to my tree collection. Well, that and some more fruit trees. Can't have enough fresh fruit you know.

Good luck with your bonzai Farns. It's a good hobby.

You could set up your band to play out there when it's finished. Nice yard!

That is the idea. [cool]

That will be a nice space, I live on a hill which makes me feel safer here in Tornado country but the yeard is tough to mow and enjoy.

A few years ago I carved a 13'x13' paver patio into the hill to add to our 12'x12' deck as useable flat surfaces, I am very proud of having done that paver patio all by myself but carving into that hill took me months of my free time.

That will be a nice space, I live on a hill which makes me feel safer here in Tornado country but the yeard is tough to mow and enjoy.

A few years ago I carved a 13'x13' paver patio into the hill to add to our 12'x12' deck as useable flat surfaces, I am very proud of having done that paver patio all by myself but carving into that hill took me months of my free time.

That's great you did it on your own.

I was at an Estate Sale today here in my neighborhood and found a book on masonary and concrete techniques. I've been pouring over it this afternoon. Since I have been barbecuing 12 pounds of Top Block, I've had a chance to sit back, drink some beer and read some of the book. I'm most interested in puting in some steps up to my raised garden. That's going to be a cool project too.

Archived