Gibson Brands Forums

trying to start a band

nikko18

Some great advice already. I did it for about 10 years with various bands' date=' ranging from jazz combos to rock to Greek music bands (that's where I learned to play in 7/8 time). It is a lot of fun but there WILL be days when it isn't fun. However, if you have good bandmates it'll make those days easier. Also look to get realistic in your goals. Is it something you truly want to do the rest of your life or just as a hobby to play once in a while? Your bandmates may have different goals so it's good to get everything known upfront. For example, the guitarist may want to practice 5 times a week because he/she wants to try to make it big, while the bassist is only doing it for a hobby and just wants to practice once a month.

As far as an amp, what do you want to do with it? If you play only one style then find an amp that suites your style. Play a bunch of them until you find one that has the power/sound that you like. For me I like to play a lot of different styles, so I got a modeling amp (Line 6 Vetta II). [/quote']

Come on? Only pianists and drummers (some) can play 7/8 time.

IMHO

Find band mates that you can get along with. Always take personality over ability and experience. You can always grow as a musician and help those grow with you' date=' but a **** is always a ****.

[/quote']

I agree 100% the worst that can happen to a band is that people dont get along with one another.

Hey Nikko you should team up with oilpit... and be like the nelson brothers of 2010, you can play half the solos and oilpit can play the other half, or you could do some armonic leads, both would sing and girls would go crazy about those twins that really rock (as oposed to the jonas brothers).

wow. this is all great advice :)

i can't wait to put it to use x] especially the thundergod bobble head advice. probably the best thing i heard all day, not (no offense thunder). i think i'm pretty lucky as far as the people who are going to be my bandmates goes, i know two of them as friends and the other one is a friends brother. and we all like basically the same kind of music.

i cant wait to start this week.

as for the amps i'm going to try out a bunch of different ones at guitar center today, i'm leaning towards the egnater rebel but we'll see what i like playing the best. i hope they have all the ones i want to try at whatever guitar center i go to.

so i made it to guitar center today, but not the one i wanted to go to >=[

the one i went to didn't have egnater rebel amp i wanted to try, but i did get to try out a fender blues jr and a fender hot rod deluxe. both of which were great. i am definately considering them, but first i need to try a rebel. also i only got to spend 20 minutes there because we got sidetracked and so my mom could visit one of her friends who lives in the area, uhhh

on the bright side though her friend had a really cute daughter who i became friends with, and she just started playing guitar. soo, if we start going to visit them more often like my mom wants i can give her guitar lessons.

all right =P~

good luck finding a drummer' date=' most of them are very unreliable. Im not saying all but most. You have a better chance pf teaching you little sister to play drums than finding a drummer.[/quote']

Tis true.

As for bandmates, drummers and bass players are very hard to find, and one's that are good that you can have a good get along level with are even tougher. I found my drummer on myspace classifieds and bass player on craigslist.

You're still young so the most important thing is really to have fun and get tight with each other so, like one of the others said, mess with a lot of covers, this will help you all feel each other out. Also liking a lot of the same types of music helps as well.

Hey Nikko, for an amp I would strongly recommend a 15w Fender Princeton twin reverb - you can get them new for about $1100.

As for the band, start out by finding some covers you can play and have fun with- that'll give you something to jam to until you start writing your own stuff. And don't let "creative differences" get in the way; it's generally a good idea to be open-minded and try your best to listen to everyone's point of view. That was the problem with the last band I played in; the lead singer was a strong-headed d*ck who would walk out on us every time we wanted to try changing a song.

wow srv :-k i dont have that kind of money. the most i can get is 500 or 600 and then my dad might help me out with a little more. i'm pretty positive i'm going to get an egnater rebel, every thing about them seems perfect for me. with the watts control i can make it bedroom level and not bug the hell out of my mom. i also really like the tube blending to get the american amp sound or the british amp sound or a mix of them. and 20 watts is enough for the kind of stuff i'm doing.

with the watts control i can make it bedroom level and not bug the hell out of my mom.

The Rebel is a SICK amp, but the watt control is pretty much useless

1 watt is only slightly less than 20, not even really noticeable

but I really dig that thing, killer tonage with a Strat

starting a band is quite hard, start a band with only your best friends, don't start a band without knowing them, making a band name isn't easy most bands have a word that describes them

Metallica = metal red hot chili peppers = hot led zeppelin = led

rage against the machines = rage guns & roses = guns=violence America = AMERICAN BAND

Beatles = beat Black Sabbath = Sabbath a describing word Blink 182 = blink

Crowded house = Crowded Foo Fighters = Foo Fighter is a term used in war

Green Day = Green Pink Floyd = Floyd is a given name. It means Grey haired.

True and I'm pianist first which helped with the guitar and 7/8 time. The solo to Rush's Tom Sawyer is in 7/8. Once you get used to it' date=' it's really not that bad...

[/quote']

I can play the bass part of "money" (pink floyd) that's 7/8 until it gets to the rocking part and switches back to 4/4.

Is "The Ocean" by Zeppelin in 7/8?

Archived